tyron bands

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I had a blow out at over 60mph on a dual carriageway going down hill. In my opinion the Tyron bands certainly didn't make life more difficult. Immediately I heard and felt the bang I took my foot off the accelerator and cruised into a conveniently placed lay by. The outfit had behaved impeccably and I put it down to Tyrons. I have had them fitted to all my vans since.

Interestingly though, the biggest damage from a blow out like mine was from the tyre whipping a hole in the caravan floor, taking wiring and piping with it. The pressure also caused the shower floor to crack.

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
Hello

I was a car and tyre tester before retiring. I believe Tyron to be a reputable company with a good qualified client base to support there product.

Where France comes in to this is beyond me I tested vehicles with Tyron bands fitted and the vehicles with punctured tyres were more controllable than those without. One test example was driving off with a flat tyre. Around a course tyres without bands failed to complete, with bands the course could be completed at speed with tyre more or less in tact after two full circuits.

A late colleague tested lorries with Tyron bands and an American test driver we worked with tested them in California for the US police and special forces use.

Caravanning is for relaxing, why belittle or ***** about a fairly inexpensive safety aid. Old age and slowing reactions I want anything that may help me in an emergency. Some of you may not get to my age without a little help from vehicle technology.

Clockwork

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If Tyron bands actually provide more protection than without, then some proof must exist somewhere, but all the manufacturer has managed to publish is how well various vehicles handle when they are fitted, not how much worse the handling is without. I can find no information anywhere on the degree of improvement, if any.

Reference to military applications are irrelevant because the parameters are completely different. At best, Tyron bands can only provide some sort of stability until the vehicle comes to a full stop. In the case of a blowout during an armed attack, a degree of run-flat capability is required to get the vehicle out of the zone of fire. This is something Tyron bands cannot provide and which, in fairness, Tyron don't claim, either. Run-flat capability can only be provided by other products, some of which are also produced by Tyron.

I do not wish to appear conceited, but I am a vehicle dynamics engineer with a degree from a reputable university so I do think I have some right to claim to know what I am talking about.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your opinion or credentials is not in doubt but other people me included have had Tyron bands fitted because they have another opinion and feel more secure with them

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
Testing I and colleagues were involved in showed that tyres stayed on the rim longer giving more control over vehicles. Tyres were still destroyed and run flat capability was not the objective. Control of vehicles with a punctured tyre was what was proven. Bands do not prevent wheel rims damaging standard tyres side walls. Preventing tyres fitting edges falling into the wheel well is the objective, keeping the tyre in place longer aiding control.

How military testing is irrelevant when they use the same vehicles, wheels and tyres as others is a strange concept.

Respecting the dynamics engineer's degree, weird that he was unaware that control of a vehicle gets far worse when the tyre bead breaks away and tyres fall in to the wheel well accelerating damage to the tyre and complicating control of any vehicle.

Tyron's run flat system helps hold the tyre up and out of the wheel well, different objective and end result.

Professional drivers and automotive and tyre engineers with tyre damage experience know that keeping a tyre punctured vehicle on track with a punctured tyre is a runaway ride most of the time with drivers wrestling for control using all the skill and experience they have to stay on the road and out of danger.

Tyron appear to have lessened that scenario with their safety bands.

Where is the need to test and show what most people know happens when a tyre fails. Tyre companies and accident inspectors have plenty of accident data on tyre failures that lead to vehicles going out of control.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You have contradicted yourself, Clockwork. You admit that the tyre is destroyed whether Tyron bands are fitted or not. If the tyre is destroyed then it can't serve its purpose in keeping control of the vehicle any more and that applies whether the remaining tyre bead is still on the wheel rim or not. It's as simple as that. Of course, the degree of control will suffer as a consequence.

Surely, the object of military applications is different to the caravanner who just wants to come to a stop as quickly and as safely as possible. The military require other solutions such as a run flat system capable of keeping the vehicle under control for a significant time, at least until out of range of fire. This is rather different to what the caravanner expects.

In the end, a proper run-flat tyre will be a much better solution, even for the caravanner.

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, there is no contradiction at all.

The sole objective is to bring the vehicle to a halt safely whilst remaining in control.

I understood that was the same objective for military users and emergency services. Run flat properties and having more control over a vehicle when a puncture or blow out happens so the driver comes to a halt safely is the objective.

One would have to be rather stupid to assume that a band fitted below the level of a wheel rim preventing the tyre from falling into a wheels well would make a standard tyre develop run flat properties. Is it not obvious even to people without a degree that a wheel rim would still damage a standard tyre.

Would Tyron have a run flat system that is different to the bands if the objectives did not differ.

Do correct me if I have this wrong.

Run flat car tyres have reinforced side walls. Only to be used for limited mileage at a maximum 80kph and cars using the system integrate tyre pressure monitoring.

As far as I am aware Heavy vehicle run flat tyres are still a way off.

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
ps

As a dynamics engineer could you explain how current run flat tyres would benefit caravans.

With no warning system to alert the driver of a deflated caravan tyre a caravanner could drive in excess of the tyres run flat limits and duration and be unaware of the potential disaster caused by the over heating tyre or the tyre being destroyed.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
ps

As a dynamics engineer could you explain how current run flat tyres would benefit caravans.

With no warning system to alert the driver of a deflated caravan tyre a caravanner could drive in excess of the tyres run flat limits and duration and be unaware of the potential disaster caused by the over heating tyre or the tyre being destroyed.
Modern run flat tyres are available as a regular production option on several car makes, such as BMW and even Ferrari, so they are good for the maximum speed that the car can attain. Run flat tyres are now slowly becoming available with higher load carrying capabilities, too. Someone in this forum was recently looking for a 195/70R14 with a relatively high (95) load index for his caravan and found a Bridgestone reinforced run-flat in that size and load carrying capacity. There are probably more sizes available from one or other tyre manufacturer.

As you suggest, a tyre pressure warning system is ideal, but that would apply in combination with any tyre safety system, whether Tyron bands, run-flat tyres, or anything else. Personally, as you can imagine, I have more faith in run-flat tyres than Tyron bands.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Modern run flat tyres are available as a regular production option on several car makes, such as BMW and even Ferrari, so they are good for the maximum speed that the car can attain. Run flat tyres are now slowly becoming available with higher load carrying capabilities, too. Someone in this forum was recently looking for a 195/70R14 with a relatively high (95) load index for his caravan and found a Bridgestone reinforced run-flat in that size and load carrying capacity. There are probably more sizes available from one or other tyre manufacturer.

As you suggest, a tyre pressure warning system is ideal, but that would apply in combination with any tyre safety system, whether Tyron bands, run-flat tyres, or anything else. Personally, as you can imagine, I have more faith in run-flat tyres than Tyron bands.

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
I'm not understanding what point you are trying to make friend.

Run flat tyre would be pointless if it was not suited to the speed of the car it is fitted to, run flats for BMW and Ferrari high performance cars are only still only suitable for continued running at 50mph / 80kph when punctured.

Run flats life is also governed by the load in the vehicle and drivers are expected to limit the distance driven on the flat tyre if the car has a full load or is towing

On modern vehicles it is possible that a driver could continue driving at speed unaware of a puncture, that is why manufacturers combine a tyre pressure warning system with run flats.

Self leveling and air suspension will easily mask a punctured tyre. In some tow cars the driver could tow a caravan with a run flats at 60 mph and past destruction distance unaware of a puncture, at night or in bad wather you could get a bad surprise.

Using run flat tyres in a modern car without a tyre pressure indicator for the driver is unwise, on a caravan it is probably a very foolish idea. If you never exceed 50mph and stop every 20-30 miles to check that you have not got a puntctured caravan tyre then you might be ok.

Run flats have also been criticised for giving a harsher bumpy ride due to the reinforced side walls, not ideal for a caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Sorry, I misunderstood you. That a run-flat is only suitable up to 50mph when punctured is only to be expected. After all, even though it is called a run-flat, it's only supposed to get you to the nearest tyre shop after a puncture.

I would have thought that harshness of ride is less of an issue with a caravan as there is no-one inside to complain about it and the caravan should be able to take the harshness without harm as the forces and amplitudes involved are so much less than what it encounters on a bad road surface anyway.

Maybe you have a point that a pressure monitoring device is important with run-flat tyres, but then such a device has undeniable advantages with normal tyres, too. I suspect that most blowouts on caravans are not caused by sudden external injury to the tyre but by running at too low a pressure, either because the owner didn't check before moving off or due to a slow puncture or faulty valve.

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We had a tyre burst on the second day of our holiday in France last August. We were on the busy Autoroute heading south past Lyon. We heard a loud banging noise, but the outfit remained very stable even at 55-60mph. We put this stability down to the Tyron Bands. However the underneath of the caravan was damaged with quite a large hole. The rim was undamaged. We replaced both tyres a few days later and the French garage refitted the Tyron Bands. The tyres were four years old, but had been taken off the van each winter.

A definite vote for Tyron Bands.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It is only natural and to be expected that people who have had Tyron bands fitted will try to justify their purchase. I therefore return to Watson(JohnG)'s suggestion that others, apart from myself, report on their experiences with a blowout without Tyron bands. Otherwise, the conclusion will be rather biased.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This thread is becoming more emotional than factual and I am sure it is partly because there are so few proven facts on the subject. It is in danger of falling out of control much as the previous thread did on the same topic.

Here are some more circumstantial but substantive issues to be considered:-

Tyron have been around for many years, thus it is reasonable to assume that the safety gain would have been well publicised and become endemic within the motor and tyre industries.

Tyron bands are what are generically know in patents as 'wheel well fillers'. They work by preventing the bead of a deflated tyre wall from dislodging from the edges of the wheel rim and travelling to the 'well ' near the centre of the wheel rim.

The theory is that by retaining the bead on the rim-plateau the constraint will also keep the tread pattern supported, and thus improve the wheels grip to the road surface. This in turn will allow braking and steerage of the wheel to retain some effect. This relies on the integrity of the tyre wall being largely maintained and coupling the tread to the bead and to the rim.

A Google search using 'Tyre bands', 'Tire bands' and 'wheel well fillers' as the search criteria only revealed one other manufacture of such devices - Protectall of South Africa. There are numerous patents for such devices, but it seems very few manufacturers. Other references seem to be a heavy metal group.

If the technology had been proven I am sure there would be far more web based sites for manufactures and sales. The fact that an internet search revealed such a dearth of sites can be interpolated as indicating the effectiveness of such systems is questionable.

I am also quite sure that if such bands had been shown to make a big improvement in safety, I believe that car manufacturers would have been offering such systems as standard; in much the same way the ABS has become standard. I would also expect organisations such as NCAP, and the EU vehicle construction and use regulations would have made it well known that such systems offered effective safety gains and may have made them obligatory in vehicle design.

Whilst it cannot be assumed that the above circumstances do discredit such products, I believe it is highly significant.

When looking at the advertising of these products it is easy to swayed into believing the scenarios they show are realistic, but give careful analytical consideration, and the information they give can be seen to be highly biased, and it may not accurately reflect real life situations.

Consider what is known about a tyre blow out. This is usually associated with a well worn or a faulty tyre, where the side-wall fabrication looses integrity, usually a significant part of the wall has failed. It is not just a small hole that might be formed by a high velocity bullet or a small explosive demonstration charge on a tyre that is otherwise in good condition.

How controllable would the same outfit in the same circumstances be without the bands fitted?

What would be the outcome if a typical potential blow out tyre had been fitted instead?

It is so important to consider both what is and isn't shown, because advertisers are hell bent on trying to sell their product to you, they will try to only show their product in a good light and blinker you to the whole truth.

I do not claim these companies are acting illegally, but you must take a broader view and consider all the facts that are available.

If you feel happier to have the bands fitted, I am sure they offer no disadvantage, but I do not believe they offer much if any benefit compared to maintaining your tyres in good condition and checking for proper inflation.

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
Lutz, here are your "Before" or "Without Tyrons" test results!

I've experienced 4 blow-outs in the past 37 years, 2 were at over 60 mph on French Autoroutes. At neither time did the tyre come off the the rim, neither did the bead go into the well of the wheel, and the caravan remained straight and under control. The tyre fitters had quite a job to break the seal between the tyre and the rim, due to the ridge which prevents the tyre coming off!

If I had had Tyrons fitted, how would I have known that they worked? the result would have been the same, but no doubt I would have sang their praises to justify their cost!

I feel remote tyre pressure monitors are the way to go.

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
4 blow outs in 37 years is likely to be more than most drivers experience, already mentioned is the fitting of Tron bands taking more time and some tyre fitters do not want to know.

A puntctured or blown out tyres beads remaining attached to the rim is luck of the draw and by no means a common result.

There must be a tyre fitter here or others with experience of tyre deflation accidents where the tyre breaks loose.

In my job when tyres failed sometimes the tyre was in place, most of the time it was not.

During private motoring, I've experienced a 40mph blow out on a caravan on an A road, we went on to the wrong side of the road and its verge and then thrown side ways along the road wrestling for control before stopping an the right side of the road, within a short distance tyre was half of the rim and the wheel beyond use. Road surface was poor and cambered, but you don't get a choice of where tyres deflate.

As a former pro driver I wouldn't gamble the cost of a pair of Tyron bands on a tyre staying in place on a rim without them.

You can check tyres as much as you like, a former colleague and family returned to the UK by air from a continantal holiday. Two week old caravan tyre punctured by road debris at 80kph. Outfit a right off and the family had to get out of car via the boot due to door damage as the car hit armco on both sides of three lanes before it spun.

Replacement caravan has Tyrons as the cost is worth the chance that the outfit would be saved another time after he lost 2K plus on the cars insurance pay out.

What price for peace of mind or for helping stack odds in your favour.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz, here are your "Before" or "Without Tyrons" test results!

I've experienced 4 blow-outs in the past 37 years, 2 were at over 60 mph on French Autoroutes. At neither time did the tyre come off the the rim, neither did the bead go into the well of the wheel, and the caravan remained straight and under control. The tyre fitters had quite a job to break the seal between the tyre and the rim, due to the ridge which prevents the tyre coming off!

If I had had Tyrons fitted, how would I have known that they worked? the result would have been the same, but no doubt I would have sang their praises to justify their cost!

I feel remote tyre pressure monitors are the way to go.
Were they all on caravan wheels?

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi

We had a tyre burst on the second day of our holiday in France last August. We were on the busy Autoroute heading south past Lyon. We heard a loud banging noise, but the outfit remained very stable even at 55-60mph. We put this stability down to the Tyron Bands. However the underneath of the caravan was damaged with quite a large hole. The rim was undamaged. We replaced both tyres a few days later and the French garage refitted the Tyron Bands. The tyres were four years old, but had been taken off the van each winter.

A definite vote for Tyron Bands.
Hi Jane ,now you have mentioned about the stability of your outfit after a puncture and the results, where in our case with Tyron bands the caravan dragged to one side and the car felt as if it had the brake on plus although no damage to the bodywork the wheel was ruined. The tyre was 2 years old and in perfect condition to look at.So it seems no two outfits behave the same even with the bands

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
Were they all on caravan wheels?
Yes, three were Dunlop SP's, and one was a crossply, (that's going back a bit!)

I had bought the caravan from a dealer and didn't know the age of the tyres.

Should a dealer be expected to change the tyres on every second hand caravan he sells, or should the purchaser be expected to fit new tyres when he buys a second hand caravan?

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
My My this "debate" does go on!!

Surely it is all down to personal choice, after all it is still a free country (at least in UK I think!!)

If the fitting of Tyron bands gives peace of mind to the driver then great and he wants to pay a small price for that additional confidence.

I went for Tyron Bands and feel very happy towing along with the other safety aids of ATC, Stabilizer etc.

Why make such a big issue of freedom of choice?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My My this "debate" does go on!!

Surely it is all down to personal choice, after all it is still a free country (at least in UK I think!!)

If the fitting of Tyron bands gives peace of mind to the driver then great and he wants to pay a small price for that additional confidence.

I went for Tyron Bands and feel very happy towing along with the other safety aids of ATC, Stabilizer etc.

Why make such a big issue of freedom of choice?
Hi Alan,

Yes it is a matter of personal choice, but is important to realise that your free choice is made on the basis of information you have received. Having made your choice, and later discover that other important information that would over turn your choice, was not made available or kept away from you, don't you think you would be miffed and possibly out of pocket?

The issue here is that the company seeks to give the impression that their product actually improves safety. The problem is they only show their product, and do not provide evidence of what happens without the product. So you have no way of checking if the product actually makes a difference of not.

So I ask you if your free choice is based on fact, or just impressions?

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
About 6 years ago at the start of our holiday, we were on the Autoroute doing up to 70mph when I noticed that the 'van ('92 Elddis Cyclone) was leaning slightly and dragging a bit. Lifted off and maybe braked gently - no real drama. The tyre had shredded and the tread had peeled off leaving the beads in place - no Tyrons. The tread ripped off the wheelarch and punched a hole in the 'van floor taking the wastepipe with it but fortunately missing the wiring and the 'fridge. Tyres were 3 years old and correctly inflated. Fitted the spare and off we went but didn't replace the spare. (Thinks - can't be that unlucky). On the way home on the A1 near Newark, the other tyre went - I was ready for it this time. Again no drama. Got a friend to bring a neighbours spare (age unknown) and this one went about 20 miles from home (someone hates me). Sent my wife in my friend's car to Waudbys to buy another wheel and tyre and finally got home.

Tyre dealer gave me 50% refund so bought a new pair of tyres and started looking on e-Bay for Tyrons, thinking that these would stop the tyre shredding. As it happens, we sold the 'van and bought a new one - fairly soon after replacing the tyres as they were 5 years old - found that the 'van already had Tyrons -much to my surprise.

Having read this and other threads, I'm not sure I would now spend the money on Tyrons as I'm not convinced that they would prevent a tyre shredding but they can't hurt.

If you think that fitting Tyron bands will help in the event of a puncture or blowout - buy some. If you don't then don't.

I hope this helps in some people's decision making.

Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts