UK Driving Licence

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
A dinner table discussion over Christmas led to us all producing our driving licences. I was horrified to find that mine is due to run out in May 2016 and will need to be renewed. Others had the same surprise. We all thought that licences lasted until our 70th birthdays.

I am not sure what significance May 2016 has for me. I reach a birthday milestone wthis year, but that is in January. I would have last changed my licence when we moved to our current address in October 2007 and, although I may not have got round to it immediately, I am sure that I would have done it before May.

Is this a DVLC plot to raise revenue? I suggest that everyone checks the expiry date on their licence!

Jo

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Same here , mine is due on 16th Jan for renewal , in the last 1o year they've had my licence for change off address and categorie additions to my licence . Like Sprocket says , i'll be doing mine on line where they'll use my passport picture - and its cheaper that way ! More money to fork out :evil:

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
JoannaLesley said:
A dinner table discussion over Christmas led to us all producing our driving licences. I was horrified to find that mine is due to run out in May 2016 and will need to be renewed. Others had the same surprise. We all thought that licences lasted until our 70th birthdays.

I am not sure what significance May 2016 has for me. I reach a birthday milestone wthis year, but that is in January. I would have last changed my licence when we moved to our current address in October 2007 and, although I may not have got round to it immediately, I am sure that I would have done it before May.

Is this a DVLC plot to raise revenue? I suggest that everyone checks the expiry date on their licence!

Jo

errrr yes it is, the old green and red paper licences, were valid for 50 years or until the day before your 70th Birthday.whichever came first, my old green one, was due to expire June 2015, 50 years on from getting my first one. however because I had my wallet stolen in 2013, I had to renew it for a 10 year photo one.
when it came back the expiry date was still june 2015. so it was valid for only 2 years, on asking the DVLA why this was, I was told because it is a continuation of my old licence which was lost and therefore carried the original date of expiry.
So in June this year I had to renew it again. for another 10 year one, when it came back this ones expiry date is may 2019 the day before my 70th birthday when yes it has to be renewed yet again, so is only valid for 4 more years.
just because the photo licence is supposed to be valid for 10 years do not assume it does. as different circumstances also determine the expiry date,
Me well I will have paid £75 in renewals over the 6 year period, I think that constitutes raising extra revenue as well as it being a rip off.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
It's every 3 years after 70 Colin, - just replaced mine, they accepted and used the picture from the 70th. which avoided that bit of the 'hassle'!

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Mine is already a photo one. However, if I understand you right, I shall have to replace it again in around five years when I turn 70. I will await the reminder before I go ahead and renew. Thank you for telling me to expect one.

My bus pass runs out this month and my passport in a couple of years, so I might as well get a batch of photos done!
Thanks for all your comments. My purpose was to raise awareness, as most of us here at Christmas had no idea about the 10 year renewal thingy.

Jo

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Hope the renewal process goes smoother than my recent experiences. Saw neurologist at the beginning of June and I was advised to surrender my licence and then reapply for a new one saying what adaptions etc that needed to be applied for me to be able to drive. It's been a full onslaught of form after form and I'm still waiting to get a positive response, i.e. the return of my licence, conditions applied and hit the road again, every so often. The last letter from cardiff just before Christmas stated that I would have to wait another 9 weeks or so to hear from them as their disability section is very busy at the moment. So 7 months on and it could be 9 months before I can drive again. I am allowed to drive from the application date under the conditions of my ordinary licence, this of course is impossible as I can't drive a car without steering, accelerator and brake adaptions. I just can't see what is taking so long. End of rant, all feel free to get back to the topic in hand.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Martiin, I feel for you, my wife had a clot stroke last April, very minor, just a word loss problem, the Hospital told us to surrender her licence, upon looking into it , I discovered that we only had to do that if she had a second stroke within a month, so luckily we havent had that problem of getting back her licence. BUT, Its been a slow slide back to her driving again, especially as we have the Santa Fe, which has lots of blind spots.
Thought about getting a pony and trap to go to the pub until I found out you could loose you driving licence if found intocicated.
Happy New Year all.
:blink:
Hutch.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Thought about getting a pony and trap to go to the pub until I found out you could loose you driving licence if found intocicated.

Talking of pony and traps and drinking did you know it's still legal for a man to urinate against the rear nearside wheel of his conveyance. :eek:hmy: An archaic law which has never been repealed. ;)

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I think the offence is being drunk in charge of a horse, no licence involved. (But accidents can still kill you! -- or worse someone else.)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A wise word there, Gabs,
I remember my old milk man delivering milk in bottles, and the horse would move about 10 yards , then stop and do it all again, and that was in Madia Vale in London. Then the Smog would come down.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
EH52ARH said:

Talking of pony and traps and drinking did you know it's still legal for a man to urinate against the rear nearside wheel of his conveyance. :eek:hmy: An archaic law which has never been repealed. ;)
umm isnt that one of those old wifes myth? just like a pregnant women being able to pee in a policeman's helmet? all myth that has been repeated so often than it becomes believed .. err no you cannot legally uranate against the rear nearside wheel.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
JoannaLesley said:

Jo

errrr yes it is, the old green and red paper licences, were valid for 50 years or until the day before your 70th Birthday.whichever came first, my old green one, was due to expire June 2015, 50 years on from getting my first one. however because I had my wallet stolen in 2013, I had to renew it for a 10 year photo one.
when it came back the expiry date was still june 2015. so it was valid for only 2 years, on asking the DVLA why this was, I was told because it is a continuation of my old licence which was lost and therefore carried the original date of expiry.
So in June this year I had to renew it again. for another 10 year one, when it came back this ones expiry date is may 2019 the day before my 70th birthday when yes it has to be renewed yet again, so is only valid for 4 more years.
just because the photo licence is supposed to be valid for 10 years do not assume it does. as different circumstances also determine the expiry date,
Me well I will have paid £75 in renewals over the 6 year period, I think that constitutes raising extra revenue as well as it being a rip off.

Because I hold an LGV entitlement and am over 65 I need to renew my licence every year. I also have to pay approx £60 for the medical and £19 for the enhanced eye test, all for a bit of casual LGV delivery work. Still, it's worth it to get out from under Mrs chrisbee's feet for a few hours a week. B)

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Hope the renewal process goes smoother than my recent experiences. Saw neurologist at the beginning of June and I was advised to surrender my licence and then reapply for a new one saying what adaptions etc that needed to be applied for me to be able to drive. It's been a full onslaught of form after form and I'm still waiting to get a positive response, i.e. the return of my licence, conditions applied and hit the road again, every so often. The last letter from cardiff just before Christmas stated that I would have to wait another 9 weeks or so to hear from them as their disability section is very busy at the moment. So 7 months on and it could be 9 months before I can drive again. I am allowed to drive from the application date under the conditions of my ordinary licence, this of course is impossible as I can't drive a car without steering, accelerator and brake adaptions. I just can't see what is taking so long. End of rant, all feel free to get back to the topic in hand.

DVLA is Swansea, not Cardiff.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
One thing to take note of: if you renew your passport early it will be forward dated to when your existing passport expires, but renew your bus pass early and it is dated from the day it is handled by the authority.

Or is it the other way round?

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Woodentop said:
Martin24 said:

DVLA is Swansea, not Cardiff.

Big deal, still the wrong side of the bridge for my liking. Still if nothing better to do with your time......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts