Ultima 260 Porch Awing Advice Needed

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi. I have an ultima 260 porch awning and struggle to get a good seal between the caravan and the awning ie gaps! Everytime I do get a good seal the doors won't close so I have to release some tension again on the pegs under the van. Does anyone have the same problems and have a cure? Any tips welcome. Thanks, Dan.

May 6, 2007
Visit site
we have the same problem ! fixed it by getting a bigger bag to store the awning in !! think its the same as a sleeping bag, with a bit of effort it is poss but its easier not to bother also if you force it then you run the risk of damaging the material, just my opinion

Apr 2, 2007
Visit site
I have the same awning, ive tried everything, i think its a very bad design and would be grateful for any answers to the same question!!! i thought it was a quick and easy way to have the extra space!!! wrong, id never buy another one of that type, at least a normal awning fits all the way down and seals at the sides, it might take longer to erect but id say it was worthwhile.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
we have the same problem ! fixed it by getting a bigger bag to store the awning in !! think its the same as a sleeping bag, with a bit of effort it is poss but its easier not to bother also if you force it then you run the risk of damaging the material, just my opinion
Eh??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi There,

Yes we too had one of these Awnings and had the same problem,Always letting water/rain in,all our things was wet in the morning,So we have gone back to the good old Faithful,The Traditional porch Awning,you just cant beat them,thought this may help,good luck with it anyway,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Simon,

Please read Dans thread again,he's not asking about the holding bag he's asking about the awning.

I have one of those awnings too and I think they're rubbish wish we hadn't bought it.Jim

Apr 17, 2007
Visit site
I have the same problem with mine. Having studied the problem at different sites and found it worse when the ground slopes making the gap between the ground surface and the bottom of the caravan smaller. It's just simple geomatary, ie lifting the foot of the pole higher moves the joint between the van and awning further apart.(Specially at the bottom) Also a van with a higher top awning rail will have less problem than a low van.

The makers supplied a spare pole section. Try cutting this down a bit and use it as needed or dig a little hole for the bottom of the pole.(Maybe not at a caravan club site though)

Paul

ps we like ours but one of the zips bust the second time out I suppose you get what you pay for.

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
We have the Starcamp Magnum 260 (sold by Dorema). Reckon Ultima etc are all made by some factory in China - same design, different name). Design is OK in calm weather, but anything more than a light breeze - forget it. Definitely not something to use at exposed sites like Trewethett Farm !

If you get good seal on one side of the van, the other flaps like fury. Saw a guy who had looped elastic bungy cords through the loops on the inner edges (used for curtains, etc), then stretched another to grab handle. Stops some of the flapping but doesn't help with the gap. All in all, a PITA.

Ann & John

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

I think all of you are missing the point somewhat. all of these dome tent like awnings have the same inherant fault THERE NOT PROPER AWNINGS but merely a porch extention and if used as such are brilliant but dont expect them to be wind and rain proof we have a porchlite plus 260 (like the ultima but blue)and use it to store our chairs in and the cool box and the wet coats and the dog walking shoes ect.ect get the picture ??

ps

if your really worried about a bit of draught, gaffer tape the flap to the side of the van. (not recomended on a new one though)

colin

Aug 16, 2007
Visit site
Thank god I'm not the only one who has problems!!!

Many a heated argument when erecting our Ultima 260.

No matter what we try, there is always a gap, especialy worse if the ground has any kind of slope.

I have sent an e-mail to SunCamp for their advice.

Richard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One of the answers to peoples problem is in the name, Ultima 260. You MUST have 2.60 mtr straight run on the awning rail, otherwise the whole does not sit properly as it is not designed to have any fitting tollerance on a awning rail which curves or bends within the 2.60 mtr minimum required to fit this item. Also attaching this to a awning rail set higher than 2.50 mtr will also result in a poor fit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a 390 and have the same problem. I have bought 4 x 1 metre lengths of foam pipe lagging from my local B&Q and I fit 2 on each side vertically over the bit of material which flaps about. The foam lagging has a split all the way down which allows you to slide it over the awning material. This helps to stop the wind coming in, which is what causes the material to flap about. Not perfect but definitely an improvement.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So glad that I am not the only one to have experienced the ultima 260 draught problem, First saw this model attached to a van in kent last year,It looked the perfect alternative to the Scenic porch that we own.The fortnight we were there very little wind no rain so we decided to buy a blue one.From the first time we erected it never been able to keep the ends close to the van, and unzip the openings at the same time, Our van has a perfect straight awning rail so this does not interfere with the erection of the awning.Try to locate the van with any wind blowing onto the front of the awning,as any side wind blows the ends into the awing space.Tieing the external connectors to the vans handles does help but in strong winds forget it, dismantle the awning you will feel much better.Gone back to our original porch awning.

Royston

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts