Uncared for caravans

May 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi folks.

Having recently lost our caravan in the gales, we have been looking for a replacement used caravan. Being on a limited budget, we have looked at 'vans upto £1500 ans cannot believe how badly some of the caravans have been neglected. As people who cared for our caravan and carried out repairs when they were needed, we have been shocked.

The worst one, we went to see on Friday. We were told it wwasa 1991 model, which turned out to be a 1981 (or by the look of it 1881!)Also told it had a "small patch of damp", not afraid of doing some work, I was not concerned. However this caravan was so damp, there was black mould on the inner walls. There was mould inbetween the layers of the double glazing!

There were not even any parts that could have been used by a breakers. With an asking price of £900(!) we expected a little better! How the owners could allow their caravan to get in this state is unbelievable. Although our previous caravan was only a 1983 compass, she was in excellent condition (before she was blown over in the wind!)

Hopefully we will soon be able to find a well looked after example and get back to caravanning!!!

Cheers

Hamish C

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Hamish

So sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you find something soon which has been as cherished as your caravan obviously was.

Regards

Denise

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Hamish,

Sorry to hear about your loss but yes I can believe the condition of some vans, irrespective of their age.

Where abouts are you as my mother-in-law has decided to sell her (cherished) van as she is past towing now.

Alan

May 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Alan

Thanks for the info on your mother in laws caravan

shame it's only a 4 berth and you are so far away!

The search goes on

Thank you again though

Hamish C

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
Totally agree with you hamish i`ve been looking for one around 4 grand but there just seems to be absolute rubbish about and people seem to want an absolute fortune for very poor condition vans

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
Off at a slight tangent (sorry) - is it unusual for caravans to blow over in a gale?

Would be interested to hear of your circumstances Hamish, so I can maybe learn from them and prepare for the gales due this weekend.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Hamish,

I stated this year back at the caraanning and I spent quite a while checking on second hand caravans but her ladyship was rather perturbed about sleeping in a bed that someone else had used so it was a new van for us.

Hoever back to your quest, I found that if you look at Ebay and Adtrader you get quite a few popping up in the ads. If you set the preferences you can limit the geographical area you are prepared to travel. www.adtrader.co.uk

The best about adtrader is that you can always go and knock the door and have a look.

Good luck with this one,

Tommy

May 25, 2005
Visit site
It isn't only the older models that are badly treated by their owners. We have been in our local dealership and seen 2 young couples each bring in their vans for partX. When we looked inside the doors were hanging on their hinges, handles on cupboards were brocken, as was a table and as for the carpets they were unusable. What do some people do in their vans? Or shouldn't I ask?

We have been lucky and been able to purchase new over the last few years and keep them in pristine condition throughout.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I should add, before anyone else does, that I am not getting at all young couples! Sorry, but it is always the exception that gives the wrong impression.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
The prat who owns the caravan next to mine forgot to put the legs down and the wind at 80 mph just tilted it over onto mine.

Bet there are a few more tilted this week down south.

Tommy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts