under performance?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am new to caravaning and have a seat alhambra with a 1.9 tdi(115 bhp)engine and tow a bailey hunter lite (1058kg). Is it normal to have to drive with the pedal to the floor to maintain 60mph on the motorway (the weather was fine dry with no wind).or have a problem?

thanks

jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jim, It does sound as though you have some sort of problem, though exactly what I couuldnt say. I wonder if you have one of the few combinations where aerodynamic drag can act just like an air brake. I used to tow a relatively small box trailer with a SAAB 9000. the outfit just would not go above about 55 mph even when empty, simply because of the air resisitance. I know the car could do much better because it would tow a heavy Castleton easily.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Are you using forth or fifth gear? If you are trying to maintain progress in fifth gear you may well struggle. Try driving in forth gear.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suppose you have eliminated a partly blocked fuel filter?,this will sometimes only show when calling for, say, 75% plus power. engine just feels flat.

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
I agree with the previous replies. We have a Sharan, albeit with 130bhp engine rather than 115 but there is not that much difference, and easily pulls a Pageant of 1350kg. I also have a Passat with the same 115bhp and that is a superb engine. Have you checked the handbrake ??!! (Only joking)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Galaxy 1.9 tdi W reg. We had a very simillar problem with our car, mentioned it when the car had a service the mechanic knew immediatley what it was - a problem with the air flow sensor he said it was a fairly common fault with this engine, it cost us

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had the same problem and it was a problem with the air mass flow meter , I new there was something wrong because I had been

towing with no problems all through last season . Garage changed

the faulty part under warranty Goes perfectly now , hope this helps

Ron

Mar 19, 2005
Visit site
I had the same problem and it was a problem with the air mass flow meter , I new there was something wrong because I had been

towing with no problems all through last season . Garage changed

the faulty part under warranty Goes perfectly now , hope this helps

Ron
Definatly get the MAF sensor seen to , as we had same problem and now with a new MAF sensor it is like another car

Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
Just to agree with 95% of respondents, I'd suggest you get your mass airflow meter checked - it seems to be a consistent fault on the TDI PD engine irrespective of mileage. Reading lots of post on the VW/Audi forums some poor souls have had their MAF's replaced as low as 30,000 miles - thank heaven for warranties!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts