Underbed Air conditioner

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
Anyone used an Underbed air conditioner in there caravan. Was it easy to fit and was it effective in cooling the van
Have a Bailey Pageant Imperial 16 ft no room on roof, have skylights and solar panel plus the extra 30-40kg on the roof not good.

I live in Australia so A/c are a must for most of the year
Any thoughts or ideas will be welcome
Thanks
Ray

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I looked at fitting an underbed unit but concluded that getting the trunking up to high level would be a pain and low level outlets wouldn't be effective, so didn't go ahead.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I do not have direct experience in order to properly advise. But I did once investigate and was keen to fit one but the holder of the purse got in the way. I would have enjoyed fitting it, the system looks flexible and logical and it makes sense. It must distribute much better than a rooftop. Its weight is low down. But they do take up space under a bunk and a wardrobe.

For effectiveness, I would think that depends on the specified rating which is comparable to a rooftop unit.

I would favor one over a rooftop unit.

John

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
Just got measurements and i don"t think it will fit under my single bed.
OK, need to look at portable A/c i suppose.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just got measurements and i don"t think it will fit under my single bed.
OK, need to look at portable A/c i suppose.
I'm Surprised if a caravan specific under bed AC won't fit under a single birth, as most caravan beds are already singles, which can be converted to doubles. I think you need to double check your measurements, and the AC's specifications.

If you do decide to go for a portable true AC unit, then be aware they need access to external air usually through ducting, and this can be a problem in a caravan, as having a door or window open for the duct compromises the effect in the caravan.

There are evaporative coolers, but these humidify the air, and their ability to cool is already limited and made worse if the ambient humidity is already high.

There have been true portable AC systems that do use a two part (split) solution, where the condenser and evaporative units are separated and only use a couple of small diameter hoses to connect them, designed for use in caravans. Search for Cool my Camper.

I should add I have no connection with this company.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
ProfJohnL.....thanks for reply
My single bed is 29.5cm high the underbed unit is 29cm high + the rails across would stop me getting it in. On top of that i have battery box/charger and a heap of other electrical stuff under there and would not be able to service them or the unit. The bed on the other side has water tank and water heat so can't go there.
Evaporative coolers just make everything damp and as you say portable A/c need pipe vented outside. Have looked at split system but the units are joined together and one of them has to be past through a window, not fun. Looks like i am down to a giant fan.....Hahaha
Not funny really, Australian weather calls for A/c hot sticky nights a common. Also can't get friction pads for my hitch because they don't make them anymore. Love the van with full ensuite and light to tow but its becoming a pain.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I assume you have looked at this smaller roof one, but just in case you missed it. Good luck in your search.
when we were kids my parents were among the £10 poms in the 1960s. ( only stayed the requisite two years then returned to Blighty) No A/C in houses then, I remember how uncomfortable it was.
mel

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
Looked a Truma rooftop but no room up top, only thing i could do is to remove a big skylight that measures 800 x 550 a big hole to fill after fitting A/c

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
Had a portable one many years ago mainly for travels to France, they all have an exhaust duct, and the water tank need emptying. It was in a Schooner so a big van, I drilled two holes in the floor with a hole saw, out of sight, kept the cut outs, then made a slightly larger diameter piece out of thin ply, to stick on the top so they could be slotted back in . The unit was used at the front during the day and in the rear bedroom at night, very successful. A few years later could afford roof mounted ones, had them on all the vans for the past 20+ yrs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts