Understanding water pump/heater/taps process!

Sep 4, 2024
Visit site
OK, So on day 9 of owning a caravan I'm still getting to understand the water system.

I know about turning the microswitch hot taps on, then the pump and waiting until it flows well before turning the taps off.

This is where I then get confused. Book guide says not to leave pump on for more that 15 mins. Does this mean I switch it off a the PSU once working? If I leave it on, when I come to open the hot tap, especially the shower, it pours through the pressure overflow.

Do I wait until I know heater is full, turn off the pump, and only turn back on when I'm going to use the water?

Do I leave it off and occasionally refill heater from aquaroll (for max of 15 mins) by turning it on?

The gas booster for the heater when using the shower? How long does this need to be on before shower?

I feer that I have been leaving it on which has only caused it to pressure overflow

If none of this makes sense, it is because I am talking about something I clearly know nothing about.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Wow, you have got me confused.
On my van,I have the pump on the end of the Aqua roll connector pipe.

After giving the water pipe a good shake about, I connect the aqua roll to the caravan. Ensure the two drain taps are closed, normally near the water heater.

With the sink taps open I fill the hot water system first, then close the hot taps, and open the cold taps until there is no spluttering.

I then put on the water heater (Truma Combi) and leave it on.

I don't turn off the water pump , it does that automatically when I close the taps. If going away from the van , then I turn the pump off.
I hope this helps. If your pump is not turning off then you might need to adjust the pressure regulator.
I have never had to do this on my van.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is clearly some age to the system, so its possible there may a fault. but exactly where the fault is is going to be difficult on a forum.

Your caravans taps will be used in one of two possible ways. Either as pressure switched system, of microswitches in every tap. This may seem confusing, but the tap manufacturers often made every tap with a microswitch, even if the pump was controlled by a pressure switch.

You need to establish which system you have. If its a pressure switched system you will most likely find something like this
1726608168142.png
usually close to the cold water inlet from the outside. This is the pressure switch and the knob on top allows the user to set the maximum cold water pressure. as the pressure rises the switch operates and cust the power to the pump, and it only turns on again when the pressure in the pipework drops, for example when a tap is opened.

If its micro switch controlled, you should find the wiring from both hot and cold taps should be joined together in parallel under every set of taps . this arrangement means if any tap is opened the contacts in that taps switch will close and allow power to the pump, so the pump runs whenever at tap is opened. These in tap microswitches' are known to fail some times.

In terms of how to use the system with both types, there is usually a pump master switch which when your using the caravan you should leave the master switch on, as the pressure switch or micoe switches should control the pump on demand. Some people choose to turn the master switch OFF at night.

WHat does concern me is your report of water flowing through the "pressure overflow" This should not happen. Check with your appliance operating instructions about the use of the "overflow" as a drain down control. It could be it hasn't been closed after draining down.

Otherwise it either indicates the pressure relief valve is faulty, or the pump is able to produce enough pressure to cause it to blow. in either case you need to get pressure valve or the pump control checked out

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
The pump in the aquaroll is kept cool when operating by the passage of water through it. So the 15 minutes may be to prevent overheating and thus jamming. However there is more likely to be damage if the pump is left running when the aquaroll is empty and quickly overheats.
Whether you have a microswitch or a pressure system the water flow should operate like a domestic system / turn on and off like normal although the pressure system might run momentarily after the tap is turned off as the pump re-pressures the system and activates the cut off control.
I only switch off at the control panel if I am away from the van and at night.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......you've already described a fault with your caravan's water system in an earlier thread.
That fault means that the system stands no chance of working properly.

I described the fault and it's remedy in your earlier thread at #5.
See here

The over pressure relief valve should not discharge water in normal circumstances.
If it does then it needs replacing and Truma market a replacement kit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts