Unfair Payment System

May 12, 2019
Visit site
Normally I pay for everything I do with my Credit Card as there is greater protection against scams.
On Monday I was booking a Campsite over the phone for May this year and they only take payment by Debit Card.
So I had to give my Debit Card Details over the phone including the 3 security numbers off the back,
I have never had to do this before with my Debit Card and am quite nervous after reading all the scams going on.

Although I am new to caravanning I have always paid previously by Credit Card

Am I right to be nervous.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No. No real difference to inputting your debit card details for an online purchase. I do it when buying items by phone too, some sellers link you through to a secure payment agent so the seller doesn’t have details of your card.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Several years ago we decided to open a separate bank account that is purely for online purchases of all types anything that requires a payment over the phone or online we use this account, there is no overdraft allowed at all, there is never more than around £50 in the account should something more be needed a transfer will be made to cover the amount, should this account get compromised then we know that only a small amount can be scammed in the event of it being tricked by dodgy deals, we use the account for Amazon payments, eBay or any person or company we are in anyway unsure about.

BP

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Several years ago we decided to open a separate bank account that is purely for online purchases of all types anything that requires a payment over the phone or online we use this account, there is no overdraft allowed at all, there is never more than around £50 in the account should something more be needed a transfer will be made to cover the amount, should this account get compromised then we know that only a small amount can be scammed in the event of it being tricked by dodgy deals, we use the account for Amazon payments, eBay or any person or company we are in anyway unsure about.

BP

Its good, that's what i do

Separate account with no overdraft and only whatever money i need to transfer into it to make a payment.

Reactions: Beehpee
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Seeing we have only a debit card now i use it to pay for our Asda home delivery and Amazon like what someone says there is no difference

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

BP
Yep we have done the same as it gives peace of mind. One of the reasons why we will not use bank apps on our phone or set up the phone to make payments in a retail outlet.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yep we have done the same as it gives peace of mind. One of the reasons why we will not use bank apps on our phone or set up the phone to make payments in a retail outlet.
We found that having bank, credit card app on the phone would allow instant notification of activity especially with 2FV, and should we be concerned or loose a card we can instantaneously have the card(s) canceled without the hassle of trying to phone up the card provider and then be on the end of a long wait. Very useful should you be overseas.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would have gone elsewhere. I can see no reason why they only take debit cards.
I have been told in the past that the charges for using a Debit card are less than the charges for using a credit card and with the high costs these days they need to make savings where ever possible.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
May 11, 2021
Visit site
Seeing we have only a debit card now i use it to pay for our Asda home delivery and Amazon like what someone says there is no difference
Well, the difference between using a debit card or a credit card is that with a debit card the money's gone from your account there and then, whereas with a credit card the debt sits with the credit company until you pay the bill. This means that in the case of fraud, you have more time to fix it with a credit card before it actually costs you anything, whereas with a debit card you are out of pocket until it gets sorted (if it gets sorted). Hence the reluctance of many (me included) to hand over debit card details online or to any unfamiliar party.

Plus you generally get more payment protection with a credit card in the case of any other dispute.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, the difference between using a debit card or a credit card is that with a debit card the money's gone from your account there and then, whereas with a credit card the debt sits with the credit company until you pay the bill. This means that in the case of fraud, you have more time to fix it with a credit card before it actually costs you anything, whereas with a debit card you are out of pocket until it gets sorted (if it gets sorted). Hence the reluctance of many (me included) to hand over debit card details online or to any unfamiliar party.

Plus you generally get more payment protection with a credit card in the case of any other dispute.
That your choice but i preferred a debit card and we don"t have a overdraft we have had credit cards in the past but we have paid them off they do not suit our lifestyle

May 11, 2021
Visit site
I think the only time I use our debit card is in an ATM - which is increasingly rare these days. Everything goes on credit and is paid in full every month, so no credit fees or interest. It also acts as a buffer between me and any ne’erdowells online or even F2F.

Reactions: GUMPY and Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have been told in the past that the charges for using a Debit card are less than the charges for using a credit card and with the high costs these days they need to make savings where ever possible.
That's often given as the reason - but I do wonder if the real reason is that it's easier to get your money back with a credit card if the goods are faulty.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That's often given as the reason - but I do wonder if the real reason is that it's easier to get your money back with a credit card if the goods are faulty.
Only if the goods cost more than £100. With a debit card you need to request a "cashback" which can be a long drawn out system.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Retailers used to quote credit card companies charged them 2.5% for credit card usage. At one time many tried to add a cutomer charge if they chose to pay by credit. But, from memory, this was made illegal. Now, some retailers just refuse to accept them. But in so doing, risk losing a lot of business.

I think the only time I use our debit card is in an ATM - which is increasingly rare these days. Everything goes on credit and is paid in full every month, so no credit fees or interest. It also acts as a buffer between me and any ne’erdowells online or even F2F.

As we do. Also PayPal and Apple Pay.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: figbat
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sadly today the poor old campsite owner needs to watch the pennies closely. CC charges back to him erode his small profit. Either he increases his charge. All moan. Or he takes payment at zero charge to him

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
On 13.1.2018 HMG made it illegal to apply surcharges to private CC .
Currently the CC banks charge the retailer 0.6% on all transactions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On 13.1.2018 HMG made it illegal to apply surcharges to private CC .
Currently the CC banks charge the retailer 0.6% on all transactions.
I’d forgotten that action, it came about via an EU Directive which annoyed US card holders as it only applied to EU cardholders.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We had a 5 night special to New York my wife love the helicopter ride so all the sights including the twin towers so it was some years ago but then the credit card was very useful at our hotel on fifth Avenue near Central park we had room service all the time . and even brought some clothes but we got a very nice bill when we got home

Nov 1, 2023
Visit site
I was always paying with a debit card, cause I never liked the thought of having debts. I felt secure and had no situations when scammers used my personal data. Although, one day I had to apply for a credit card cause it was my wife’s birthday, she was turning 30 and I wanted to give her something special. I got denied, but all the circumstances were very strange, because even though I had a short credit history, the report after my application was showing a lot of delinquent accounts. I thought that it was identity fraud, and started to google to find answers. I found out that there might be a lot of reasons why the report has wrong information. After getting in touch with a lawyer and analyzing the documents, we found out that it was not identity fraud, but a mixed files. I’ll drop here the link cause it might be useful for you too https://consumerattorneys.com/practice-area/fcra-attorneys

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If you can't pay by credit card, use Paypal. Then only one organisation has your data?
Whilst I have one credit card for on-line purchases that never leaves the house, there is only one payee that I use that doesn't use Paypal - Amazon!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if we started to list the number of computers that our data is stored on how long a piece of paper would be required! I think my car and caravan would be more than 10 for starters and there is likely an element of risk of data theft for nefarious usage with them all - hopefully a minuscule risk!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts