Unsure on Insurance

Sep 12, 2024
Visit site
Hello

As per my only other thread we’ve just bought a caravan. Caravan is in my girlfriends name so she technically owns it but the insurance company told us that whoever is planning on towing the caravan needs the insurance - that would be me. The insurance didn’t give an option for 2 names on the insurance so only added myself as my girlfriend won’t ever be towing.

Will we still be insured for all eventualities should anything happen to the caravan?

Thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For insurance purposes it should not matter who is towing the caravan. Both our names are on the policy. I would look for another reputable insurance company like Caravanguard.

May 30, 2024
Visit site
If there's an incident or accident whilst you are towing, then it is your car insurance that you claim on for any damage to your car or to any other third party vehicle if you hit it with your caravan. So you need to be sure that your car insurers know that you have a towbar and might be towing with it.

If you cause damage to your own caravan whilst towing, then it is your caravan insurance to claim on for that, or other things like theft or damage whilst on site etc etc.

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 12, 2024
Visit site
If there's an incident or accident whilst you are towing, then it is your car insurance that you claim on for any damage to your car or to any other third party vehicle if you hit it with your caravan. So you need to be sure that your car insurers know that you have a towbar and might be towing with it.

If you cause damage to your own caravan whilst towing, then it is your caravan insurance to claim on for that, or other things like theft or damage whilst on site etc etc.
Thanks but does it matter that the caravan isn’t in my name but the insurance is?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having read this thread I wonder if you are misunderstanding the insurance situation and your confusing the car insurance and the caravan insurance.

When the caravan is coupled to the car, your car insurance covers the caravan for third party claims against the caraan. If you intend to tow you should advise your car insurer, it's unlikely they will charge you extra, unless there are exceptional circumstances that apply to your policy. This cover does not apply when the caravan is uncoupled from the tow vehicle.

At all other times (in the UK) it's not a statutory requirement that you must have a caravan insured. but it is a sensible precaution unless if you don't want to expose yourself to covering the loss of the caravan, or possibly any claim made against you should the caravan cause injury or loss to someone else. Insurance is usually a sensible precaution.

Because caravan policies are not a statutory requirement, different insurers may have very different policy cover or exclusions, so it's very important that you read and understand the terms and conditions of the policy they are offering you. Do not assume anything ask before you buy.

Do not assume the policies with 5 star ratings are always the best. The star ratings relate to how easy it was to set the policy up, they may not relate to how easy it is to make a claim against the policy. Cheap policies are likely to be cheap becasue they don't pay out easily.

As for names on the policy, it will depend on the details of the policy, I think Dustydog and or Raywood, in a much older thread have previously discussed a point about needing to have a legitimate interest in the item you are trying to insure.

I think you may need to discuss the issue with company you are trying to use.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
For insurance purposes it should not matter who is towing the caravan. Both our names are on the policy. I would look for another reputable insurance company like Caravanguard.

Wholely agree, just as ours is so configured with CaravanGuard. They have the advantage that should anything happen to me (the registered owner) they will transfer the insurance to her name.

For the OP just make sure that both of you are on the towing vehicle insurance as it is the vehicle insurance that covers the caravan when it is being towed albeit only as third party.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts