Update - breathalyzers in France (Details from the CC)

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Update - breathalyzers in FrancePublished: 09 February 2012

The law requiring motorists to carry a breathalyzer in their car in France has still not been passed. However, it is likely that it will be passed with a start date of the 1 July 2012. It has not been confirmed whether this law will apply to all drivers in France or just to vehicles registered in France, or whether drivers will need one or two disposable breathalyzers in their vehicle.
If the law is passed for 1 July French police are being encouraged not to issue fines for non-compliance until November 2012. The fine for not having a breathalyzer is approximately €11- €17.

The tests are available from most French pharmacies for approximately €1.00 - €2.00, but we understand that most ferry operators will also stock them. www.travelspot.co.uk have confirmed that they will be stocking disposable testers, but cannot confirm the price yet.

Good point to notice they can be purchased in France for €1 or €2, so need to buy expensive kits on the Ferry!

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Let us just hope the Caravan Club has got it right this time because on at least 2 occasions to my knowledge they have given out wrong information on regulatory matters that then had to be rescinded.
We should be able to rely on this type of advice from the Club(s) but experience has proved otherwise.
When the 12m rule for outfits travelling to Spain became known they gave out details of a company producing adhesive stickers that turned out to be invalid after I had spent £25. Another time they published as fact a misinterpretation of regulations that wrongly indicated most or all towing mirrors being illegal due to lack of EU kite marks, this subsequently turned out to be a press release from a mirror manufacturer. This came just after I had bought off a Dutch company at the NEC, a pair of mirrors that are not only the best but also most expensive (€90) I have ever owned. After the sticker business I just ignored it.
David

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
This is a true story, kits will be available from pharmacies.
Also they have changed a few other laws aswell.
Driving while using a mobile now carries a €135 fine
Having a radar detector is also illegal
And if you have on your satnav, a speed camera alert, it has to be disabled.

Martin.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
bit of a problem here,does one divert off ones route,towing ones caravan through towns or villages to find a pharmacist that sells said device,and risk being stopped anyway without a tester,or buy one at or on the ferry?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts