Updated instructions on how to post links

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I was asked not long ago how to post shortened links such as 'Click Here' on the forum and I gave a long and rather complicated reply.
As it turns out my instructions were misleading, there is a much simpler method of adding link with shortened text to forum posts which Austin the technical guru has told me about.
1) Type the text that you want to appear on your forum post as a link - 'Click Here' for example
Hold down the left mouse button to highlight your text and click on the unbroken chain icon at the top of the comment box.
Copy / paste the url into the dialogue box
Select 'Post Link in New Window' from the drop down box (2nd one down)
Click on the insert button and your link should appear click here

JP1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Since there appears to be some uncertainty about inserting links, I thought I'd expand Parksy's useful instructions by adding a few images to show the entire link-insertion process.

Step 1
/sites/practicalcaravan.com/files/images/links-step-01.jpg

Type the text you want to use as a link — usually just a few words in a longer sentence, but it's entirely up to you.

Step 2
/sites/practicalcaravan.com/files/images/links-step-02.jpg
Highlight (select, in other words) the text you want to use by clicking and dragging the mouse over them.

Step 3
/sites/practicalcaravan.com/files/images/links-step-03.jpg
Click the "Insert/edit link" button on the Comment toolbar — it looks like three links of chain.

Step 4
/sites/practicalcaravan.com/files/images/links-step-04.jpg

An Insert/edit link box will pop-up — paste the link (the 'URL', or web address) you want to use into its "Link URL" box, then click the Insert button. You can ignore the other options.
Please note that the link must begin with http:// or https:// and not just www, else it won't work. This is why copying from the page required and pasting it into the link box is strongly recommended.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts