Upgrade Truma Crystal MKII to Ultraflow

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,

My Truma Crystal MKII water pump/inlet has been playing up in that it pumps water without activating taps etc. or continues to pump after a tap has been switched off. This is installed in a Lunar Clubman.

I want to upgrade to an Ultraflow system which is what we had in our previous folding camper and had no issues with.

Is this straight forward to do? Is it just a case of ordering a new pump and inlet housing?

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
I just spoke with my local caravan dealer about this and he thought that the problem is nothing to do with the pump, since it does actually work, but perhaps to do with air in the system.

Any thoughts about what else might be causing the problem and how to resolve it?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Try bleeding the air out of the system as a first stage. It’s much cheaper than the alternatives. Close all taps. Put wet end of pump assembly into aquaroll. Connect van end into inlet. Turn electrics on. Ensure caravan water drain tap closed. Let pump run for a short time say 30 seconds. Open nearest cold tap you should feel air being displaced. Same with hot tap. Close taps and after a short while repeat opening/ closing. Should by now be getting water flow from cold. But hot needs time to fill tank. Then bleed from toilet and shower taps too.

Airlocks can sometimes be a nuisance to clear but if pump is running then that sounds as if it could be an airlock.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Actually you will find it best to start with the cold tap furthest from the intake - often the washroom. So as in our van turn on the washroom cold until it runs smoothly. Close this then next the shower until running, then the sink in kitchen. Then with the hot in the same order. This takes longer to run as it fills the tank first then the pipework to the taps. This should ensure that there are no air locks.
Mine is a whale pressure system and sometimes the pressure switch (in the bedlocker on the back of the intake) needs adjusting a bit, especially if running on battery rather than mains hook-up to get it to switch on/off efficiently as the taps are used.
All the best and hope the writer gets sorted with the cheap option!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
audiorob said:
Actually you will find it best to start with the cold tap furthest from the intake - often the washroom. So as in our van turn on the washroom cold until it runs smoothly. Close this then next the shower until running, then the sink in kitchen. Then with the hot in the same order. This takes longer to run as it fills the tank first then the pipework to the taps. This should ensure that there are no air locks.
Mine is a whale pressure system and sometimes the pressure switch (in the bedlocker on the back of the intake) needs adjusting a bit, especially if running on battery rather than mains hook-up to get it to switch on/off efficiently as the taps are used.
All the best and hope the writer gets sorted with the cheap option!

I guess there’s differences of approach although with my van which has an integral Flojet pump I find opening the kitchen cold tap gives the system sufficient of a jolt to start filling. The bathroom taps come afterwards. But vive la difference.

And “yes” you can get airlocks even using an integral positive displacement Flojet pump which is self priming :)

TRENDING THREADS