Upper rear brake light on caravan

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A number of caravans have a brake light on the rear of the caravan and this is normally located in the middle towards the top of the rear panel. If this light fails would it be an offence as it supplements the two side brake lights?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A number of caravans have a brake light on the rear of the caravan and this is normally located in the middle towards the top of the rear panel. If this light fails would it be an offence as it supplements the two side brake lights?
It is a part of the caravans lighting system just as the high level light is on the car. It doesn’t just supplement the two lower lights it’s there for a purpose. It helps following vehicle see that you are braking when the two lower level lights are obscured by the car directly behind.

I guess it’s not working wouldn’t be as noticeable to a following police car as would one of the lower level lights not working. Depends on how observant the policeman is.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not sure that’s correct Clive.
If it's fitted and connected it must work. If you disconnect it, it will pass its MoT. The rules state that the benefit of doubt must be given to the presenter (you) so, if it doesn't work at all, the tester has to prove that it's connected.
It’s not one of the RTA mandatory lights but I’ll stand corrected.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not sure that’s correct Clive.
If it's fitted and connected it must work. If you disconnect it, it will pass its MoT. The rules state that the benefit of doubt must be given to the presenter (you) so, if it doesn't work at all, the tester has to prove that it's connected.
It’s not one of the RTA mandatory lights but I’ll stand corrected.
Caravan do not have a MOT. Sometimes the high level light being LED loses some of the bulbs so is half working.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dusty was referring to the cars high level brake light. Not sure how a caravan high level light not working would be viewed. Certainly it could result in you being stopped, if there’s an offence there I don’t really know.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes it was the car Clive Thank you. That said , outside of the MOT surely the same RTA legislation on lights applies to caravans too. Someone will no doubt Google it but I am not worried if my “extra” brake light does t work as long as the two main ones do.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes it was the car Clive Thank you. That said , outside of the MOT surely the same RTA legislation on lights applies to caravans too. Someone will no doubt Google it but I am not worried if my “extra” brake light does t work as long as the two main ones do.
Just checked for car. All must be checked. If not connected give owner benefit of doubt. Seems to say if 1/2 working it would only be a minor pickup. But not clear.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-ins...s/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment

Reactions: Dustydog

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A caravan is a trailer, thats the first thing to remember, it is not a self propelled vehicle.
The lighting regulations for trailers is the there must be two brake lights, one on each side of the rear of the trailer, and that is all that is needed.
The caravan high level light is not a legal requirement .

Whilst almost all cars do now have these high level lights, again they are not a legal requirement and the same lighting requirement of two lamps, one each side at the outer edge of the vehicle is what is required under lighting regulations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts