Urban Myths

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have often wondered if many of the stories which are related about gassing are exaggerations and have spiraled a bit like Chinese whispers. One contributor to the thread about using aires in France has asked for anyone who has actually been gassed to tell their story - not to relate about neighbours, friends etc.

We have all heard tales about someone helping an old lady home and was confronted by a knife yielding maniac, etc, etc. The urban myths are now part of everyday life and, yes, you do have to be selective where you spend the night in your caravan but please, lets get things into proportion.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Tony I agree. If you read my posts in the other thread.

Gassing has happened that is recorded fact! Frequency is a different matter, I know for fact that people have been robbed during the day time at a continental service stop whilst stood by their vehicle, it is not an every day accurence.

I also know that theft from UK motorways sevices is also quite common in some areas. I still see plenty of vans left unattended at these service areas attached to cars back home! Their are many risk in life, we just have a few week knee'd lilly livered worried scaremongerers on here that seem to want to impose their own fears on others ;-) May be it makes them feel good ;-)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony I agree. If you read my posts in the other thread.

Gassing has happened that is recorded fact! Frequency is a different matter, I know for fact that people have been robbed during the day time at a continental service stop whilst stood by their vehicle, it is not an every day accurence.

I also know that theft from UK motorways sevices is also quite common in some areas. I still see plenty of vans left unattended at these service areas attached to cars back home! Their are many risk in life, we just have a few week knee'd lilly livered worried scaremongerers on here that seem to want to impose their own fears on others ;-) May be it makes them feel good ;-)
Yes Cris, I have read your comments earlier, we are on the same wavelength here. Cheers Tony

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Urban Myth.

A wife or good lady partner has a nice well paid secure job working for some very nice important people that we entrust to run our country, these people respect family life and the peoples wishes!

The other inportant people in their "team" would of course expect them to behave in what the general public would accept as a good way.

Their man at the top would never consider that what they do in "private" reflects on their position in society ;-0

Now there is a chance that one of these important people is going to take advantage of his position and do the dirty with your ladies.

No No, it'll never ever happen!!!!!!!

They will be in nice vwery secure safe work places working with people who respect them and their families.

No worries guys and gals its easy to pick what is safe in this life ;-)

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If memory serves me correctly it involved people in a motorhome !

British Embassies on the continent gave out warnings that it had happened.

Mind you if info is linked to Government it could well be porkies ;-)

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi Cris

About the gassing, what are they using? It can't be anything medical can it? Must be an overdose of camping gaz,carbon dioxide or nitrogen or helium maybe? anything you can get in a cylinder without a lot of fuss. Do you think if the blown air heating had been left on cool all night so that the awning outlet was on they could still do it? and what about sleeping with the alarm on for the door to prevent silent entry? I'm not really worried about this just curious. Hope you're Ok. Helen

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
If people were really being gassed and knocked out, then it would by necessity be a medical / anaesthetic gas - like nitrous oxide - and this is where I have a problem with the myth.

It takes a good amount of skill to take someone to exactly the right level of unconsciousness - otherwise you wouldn't need an anaesthetist during hospital operations - they would either wake up or die.

And one of the jobs of the anaesthetist is to balance the gas against the body mass of the patient - if you used enough gas to render a man unconscious then any women or children in the same space would be dead.

But I've certainly seen loads of caravaners self-administer grape or barley based anaesthetics - and then forget to do things before going to bed.

Robert

May 4, 2005
Visit site
The Caravan Club have issued a warning about gassing in the past, mentioning the case of a couple in a motorhome. When I find the link I will post it.

In the meantime look here..

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/046F9478-498E-4F76-AB1F-3926B432D137/4339/PRODUCTREVIEWSJul04.pdf
for a product review which states..

"Narcotic sleep inducing gas is increasingly used by thieves , especially on the Continent.Just a few minutes inhalation in a confined space can render victims disabled or unconscious (with possible long term health implications)

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If people were really being gassed and knocked out, then it would by necessity be a medical / anaesthetic gas - like nitrous oxide - and this is where I have a problem with the myth.

It takes a good amount of skill to take someone to exactly the right level of unconsciousness - otherwise you wouldn't need an anaesthetist during hospital operations - they would either wake up or die.

And one of the jobs of the anaesthetist is to balance the gas against the body mass of the patient - if you used enough gas to render a man unconscious then any women or children in the same space would be dead.

But I've certainly seen loads of caravaners self-administer grape or barley based anaesthetics - and then forget to do things before going to bed.

Robert
Absolutely correct - remember the Russisn SWAT squad that tried to take terrorists in a Moscow theatre.

They killed the terrorists and abot 150 of their hostages as well using nerve gas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As someone with a certain amount of scientific training, I cannot be anything but sceptical about these reports of 'gassing', whether they come as warnings from the Caravan Club' or any one else.

As I understand any form of anaesthesia - which is what it is - has to be done in highly controlled conditions; blending air supply to that of anaesthetic. I even read of someone who was allegedly gassed in a motor home in which the front window had been removed.

Otherwise the person subjected to it is:

a) awake

b) dies

Have any of you read or seen on the media reports of anyone dying in these circumstances.

No - I hear you all reply, and it would be heavily reported.

Could be that Practical Caravan could make this topic the subject of REAL research in a future edition.

Please look as well at the comment that I made early to someon's posting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts