Usb ports to a 12v socket possible?? Help

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Good day
I've just spotted lidl have a soar panel that has an output of two USB ports.strange but useful.

It's perfect but I need to power my 12v fridge of it wen we are stationery.

Does anyone know if you can get a cheap USB to 12v socket?

There's a plethora the other way but not this direction, am I trying to find the impossible?

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
If you have a compressor fridge, which is powered off the 12v leisure battery (and should already be wired in to it) you shouldn't have a problem so long as your leisure battery is kept topped up somehow as power is taken only when the thermostat kicks in.
If you have an absorption fridge (alternative power sources of mains when on EHU, gas and 12v (from the alternator) when in the move) you should use gas when stationary and not on EHU. They pull between 7 and 13 amps so will soon flatten any battery.
By coincidence Diamond Dave is talking about fridges on this week's Practical Motorhome TV - see Here.
Graham

May 19, 2016
Visit site
My fridge is just a cool box that powers straight off the cigarette lighter. I want to power the fridge straight off the solar panel which is just a 13w outage. Here's the link: http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=33695

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think those cool boxes are intended to be powered mainly from a socket in a car with the engine running. You could plug into a socket connected to your leisure battery but how long it would last is open to question. It depends on the power draw of the cool box. For instance 7amps would knock an 85Ah battery out in well under a day.
The Lidl solar panel is a complete non-starter I'm afraid. As the blurb says, it is "For charging smartphones, tablets, e-books, etc." - all devices which have a relatively low current draw.

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes, the LIDL solar panels have nowhere near enough power capacity, plus fridges can pull a surge when they kick in !

The 100W panel on my Motorhome is about 1m long X 0.5m wide, keeps my leisure and vehicle battery topped up nicely and my 12V gadgets running when off grid or in storage.

The van insurance is invalid if the alarm is not active and there is no power at the storage yard so a solar panel is ideal, if not imperative.

The Fiat Ducato Motorhome alarm is connected to the vehicle battery, not the leisure battery so flat batteries and jump leads were the order of the day before the solar panel. But at least I learned how to jump start the van .....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts