Use your lights !!!

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I today drove along the A14 between Newmarket and Kettering, it was raining really hard and there was a vast amount of spray.

I was amazed by the amount of idiots either driving without any lights on or with just side lights on.

Its the same on foggy days,you see these fools doing the same.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It annoys me too, to see drivers using parking lights in bad vis. Some years ago, there was a system whereby when the ignition was switched on, the lights went automatically from parking (side)lights to dipped headlights.If drivers haven't got the intelligence to make themselves visible, then technology ought to do it for them!While I'm at it, I am surprised at the number of cars with only one head/tail light working. I wonder if part of the blame lies with manufacturers making it very difficult to change your own bulbs?

Derek

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Quote by Derek,

I wonder if part of the blame lies with manufacturers making it very difficult to change your own bulbs?

Derek I expect its because they would rather use the money to buy a packet of fags. The reason of course is that there a general lack of police out on the roads these days.

David

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
David,I'm sure you're right about priorities for some drivers.Having said that, I do know of owners of some makes (can't recall which) having to take the car to a garage for a replacement of a bulb.

It still beggars belief that a driver would go on the road with light/s not working.There's not really any excuse though.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Don't shoot the messenger!

There are two quotes which I was told a good number of years ago, both of which I think describe the situation.

"Never underestimate the stupidity of the motorist" and "the motorist is only stupid on his best days. Most of the time he doesn't even achieve this".

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
My sisters got a Renault Clio with fog lights in the bumper,you have to remove the bumper to change the bulb!!!

Thats progress for you?

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mikey,

Those lamps in the bumper are called DRIVING LAMPS, sp people switch them on when driving.Thats inappropriate use of auxilary lamps, and worth a fixed penalty. Points?

Lamps less than 60cm from flopr may only be used in fog a FALLING snow.

Judging by the way they dazzle me, they are not suitable for use in fog. ?????

They might make sense if they had flat-top beams, and ran on half voltage.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site

I think that you're confusing yourself. The lights in the bumpers are fog lamps. Driving lamps are not so common these days, but can generally only be switched on in conjunction with main beam headlamps (albeit on a sepaate switch). Also, as you've stated, when mounted in the bumper they're too low down to be driving lamps.

Sadly there are far too many lamps that dazzle, and normally it's because the bulbs are not seated properly, either because they're so difficult to fit, or whoever has fitted them is obviously not capable.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Oh, and the offence is "mis-use of fog lamps". It used to only apply to rear fog lamps, but since the epidemic of people using the front ones in good clear weather, it's now general.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I realy do find the stupidity of motorists beyond belief these days.

If they are not hogging the middle lane they are driving with no lights on in fog or rain or snow. Anybody would think there was an electric meter on the dashboard and they had to put a quid in to feed the lights.

These idiots are no doubt the ones who relate every day that the've seen several accidents but narrowly missed being involved. That is probably because they have caused other motorists to swerve to miss them and concequently have an accident themselves.

Its a great pity that car manufacturers never followed Volvo's lead and made headlights that come on as soon as you start the car. Also the governments across europe missed oportunity to make the use of headlights compulsary at all times.

Motorcyclists have adopted a volentary code to use lights purely for their own safety, so why can't others think of being seen and being safe?

Oh well better jump of my soap box.

Steve L.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
"Motorcyclists have adopted a volentary code to use lights purely for their own safety, so why can't others think of being seen and being safe?"

Is it my imagination or do the motorcyclists have their headlights on main beam not dipped? Every time I see one I am blinded, thus making it unsafe for me rather than safe for them.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
The latest trend these days is side lights with fog lights. I always put on my rear fogs when they come up behind me, because it must be foggy. Some take the hint and turn them off, others squint like a chinaman.

G

We're taking side bets that one of our contributors here has

1 Had special poor visibility eyesight training.

2 Has Renault fitted with military night vision and IR imaging.

3 The car has a special paint finish making it always visible to others.

4 All of the above.

{;+)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I asked my mate why he only uses parking lights in poor visibility. " I don't need headlights, I can see OK". And this from an ex-lorry driver. My old man always said that if you need lights, you need headlights.As true now as it was forty years ago.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
woodlands camper, motorcyclists have had no choice in whether to use their headlights or not since 2004, it became obligitary for manufacturers to have this as a standard ( supposedely safety matter) that when the ignition was turned on and the engine started, the lights would come on. so, no choice there.

apart from that, bikers usually keep their lights on to give the half blinkered motorist a better chance of seeing them.

ive had bikes pre- 2004 and i chose to put my lights on at all times for those reasons.

only kickback is that with them being mandotary, at times if the battery is running down whenever you switch on ignition the lights draw power, therefore leading to the starte not turning over, bit of a ****** when you have to bump start it.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
See, that is the trouble with new fangled bikes. They take the kick start off. I used to be well versed in kick starting Bonnies and Harleys.

Then my first car was a dream too. A moggy minor with a starter handle. I had a half knackered battery and hand to use a starter handle even in summer (apprentice wages of

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Another problem these days is lack of using indicators. How many times have you almost had an accident on a roundabout, because others won't use indicators? It's a game of guess where I'm going, if you guess wrong, you get the one or two fingered salute.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Highlander - I'm not against motorcyclists having headlights on, it's for their safety. What I was stating was that a lot appear to be using full beam and not dipped during daylight hours, which can cause momentary blindness to car drivers whose eye level is nearer to that of the motorcycle headlight. (Like looking at the sun, when we have it!!) This temporary blindness in itself could lead to an accident.

Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
In our area there seems to be an increase in cars on the road with only 1 headlight working. Can be very confusing and dangerous as from a distance it looks like a motor bike.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
John,

Didn't you know that having only one head light is helping the environment? Of course, you don't need as much power and therefore you use much less fuel! :)

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Can i put a slightly different slant to this thread. During the recent cold spell the number of vehicles i have seen on the road with

a) no lights or side lights when it was snowing

b) those who were too lazy to clear their windows fully from snow and ice before driving off.

I know that if they were in an accident the police and their insurers wouldn't be too impressed but thats not much comfort to the poor sod they ran into. I saw one car which when he moved off from a set of traffic lights the snow slid off the roof down onto the windscreen. The wipers couldn't clear it and he had to stop suddenly in the middle of the road. Luckily nobody smashed into him.

William

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Can i put a slightly different slant to this thread. During the recent cold spell the number of vehicles i have seen on the road with

a) no lights or side lights when it was snowing

b) those who were too lazy to clear their windows fully from snow and ice before driving off.

I know that if they were in an accident the police and their insurers wouldn't be too impressed but thats not much comfort to the poor sod they ran into. I saw one car which when he moved off from a set of traffic lights the snow slid off the roof down onto the windscreen. The wipers couldn't clear it and he had to stop suddenly in the middle of the road. Luckily nobody smashed into him.

William
It's a good comment about motorcycles dazzling folk. The lights are on permanently nowadays on modern machines as already pointed out but that's not the issue. I realised I was dazzling people on my Harley and couldn't think why after all it had just been MOT'ed and the beam alignment tested. Then I remembered the young girl the MOT place had as an assistant. When she sat on the machine it was fine but when I did (after having eaten all the pies) it pointed into the air. They should test it with the actual rider! I then adjusted the rear suspension which is there for this very reason...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
with David on this one also use my rear fogs when a### hole comes up behind with his / her front fogs on another tip when stationary keep foot on brake pedal looks like a mobile brothel lol , seriously dont these morons realise when heading towards you in wet weather you have in effect 8 lights 4 on car and 4 in reflection of wet tarmac , cheers john

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts