useing the web while on the road

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Burt,

You posted your message using a computer and an Internet connection, and it should not come as a surprise to discover you need the same facilities when away from home.

Computer: This could be anything from a web-enabled mobile phone (such as a Nokia N series); through the commonly used laptop with WiFi; to dedicated portable computers that run on car or caravan batteries.

Internet Connection: The mobile phone could provide both the display screen and the connection to the Internet, or a pay-per-use connection for a laptop or other computer.

Apart from that, there are many WiFi services that allow you to connect your laptop; some caravan sites offer WiFi (pay-per-use), some town-centres offer WiFi (sometimes free), some coffee shops or similar places offer free WiFi if you buy a coffee, or if you are a BT Openworld customer you receive 4 hours of free WiFi Internet each month, and many other possibilities too.

What's best for you?

Depends what you've already got, and what you want to do - a Nokia N90 mobile phone will let you browse the Internet and answer e-mail - a laptop and 3G mobile phone card will let you do the same - as would a laptop and a WiFi connection in a coffee shop.

Very much a case of pay your money and take your choice - and how much you pay depends on what hardware and contracts you already have...

Robert

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
If you have a phone which will connect to your computer then you possibly have 50% of what you will need. I can use my laptop and my phone to connect to the internet. I do this to get my email when I am away. The laptop uses the phone as a modem and connects using the data allowance on your SIM card account. You can get more data added to your phone card if you think you will go over the allowance on your account. If you are unsure contact your phone provider and they will let you know how much you can use your phone to access the internet or email. It is very simple and works very well as long as you have a phone signal.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Sorry I missed out explaning what you need... All you need is a phone which will access the web, USB Cable and a laptop. That is it.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
The new types of combined phones/PDA's maybe the answer.

This is a phone/Personal digital assistant, which can also act as a modem for your laptop connection.i.e you can browse with your laptop.

Beware as browsing the internet this way can be costly, you an run up large bills for short times spent browsing.

There are phones available which are as orientated to e-mail & web browsing as they are as mobiles. You might like to check out

the Blackberry range of mobile/PDA's at the web address below.

You get bundled web browsing & a permanent e-mail address,aswell as being able to access your e-mail,virtually anywhere. For people who want the internet,but can't be tied to their desk,this can be an effective compromise.

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/store/handsets.taf?exref=016800

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Burt ,

I'm trying to figure out myself whats the best option.

For me i have a lap top and want to use that.

I've been sort of tempted by a couple of offerings from 3G , Vodaphone and (I think) O2.

They are offering a USB Broadband modem which literally plugnplays.

There's various packages from paying about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts