Using an AWD motor mover

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As we have a twin axle caravan recently we upgraded the motor over to an AWD motor mover. The old mover i now gathering dust in the garage until I can get around to selling it. Having the new AWD motor mover is a bit of a learning curve.
The Powertouch technician did demonstrate on the day that they did the job, but then we never used it for about 6 weeks so all is forgotten. If we wanted to do a tight turn on gravel, is it best when going backwards that we use i.e. the left bottom button and also the right top button together on the remote control? I can remember the tech guy telling us that we should stab at one of the buttons, but unsure now.
If going back in a straight line all 4 motors are going in the same direction, but when turning I cannot remember if one of the rear ones works in the opposite direction. Thanks for any input.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its easy to assume that all movers will work in the same way but that may not be the case, its may be there is a particular operating method for your mover, that might not be the same as others. I'm sure eth hand book should cover the use of the mover.

I hope someone can answer your question, but this is the sort of thing it may be best first reading the handbook, or contacting the fitter or manufacture about.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Its easy to assume that all movers will work in the same way but that may not be the case, its may be there is a particular operating method for your mover, that might not be the same as others. I'm sure eth hand book should cover the use of the mover.

I hope someone can answer your question, but this is the sort of thing it may be best first reading the handbook, or contacting the fitter or manufacture about.

Nothing in the handbook about how to make a tihgt turn whcih is why i was hoping that someone else who has an AWD could answer my question, but thanks for replying!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would have thought that for a really tight turn one set of wheels will rotate in the opposite direction to the other and you should press both diagonal buttons simultaneously. Don't you have space to play with it ?

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm interested to know which brandsmodels of motor movers can contra-rotate.

I have a Purple-Line, and it does not.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
Don't understand this,why don't you practise with the mover to find what you are trying to achieve.
No room in the storage area and wanted some hints before we went on a pitch.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When we use our single axle, mover Power touch. and want to "Turn on a sixpence " ( 5 pence piece for younger members) I use the top and the opposite side bottom button. Can't see it being and different for a 4WD system.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
If you can drive the motors without engaging on the wheels, leave them disengaged and press the buttons and observe which way they turn., when you press whichever button.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
When we use our single axle, mover Power touch. and want to "Turn on a sixpence " ( 5 pence piece for younger members) I use the top and the opposite side bottom button. Can't see it being and different for a 4WD system.

In principle the same might apply to TA's, but the problem is the the twin axles fight the rotation, and at least two or more wheels will actually have to scrub to accommodate the motion. The force required to do that should not be underestimated, and whilst movers are quite powerful most are mot powerful enough to do that. Either motors and gear box are not powerful enough, or you cannot generate enough roller grip pressure to transfer the drive to the tyres. Mover manufacturers have to try various tricks to overcome the problem, and it usually means the TA cannot turn as tightly as an SA.

If you have ever tried to turn a TA by hand you may begin to appreciate the futility of the attempt. Even jacking up or lowering the jockey wheel to reduce the load on one pair of axles barely changes the success of the attempt. I once had to turn a TA through 90 degrees to get it into an environmental chamber, This was on smooth painted concrete. The space available was only about 1m longer than the caravan so no chance of a vehicle and it did not have a mover. The only way I could do it was to jack the jockey wheel to its full height, pull as strongly as I could on the side of hitch and try to move caravan backwards and forwards at the same time. I lost count of the number movements I made but it must have been 15 to 20 times. Normally this would have been moved by 4 people and probably taken 3 to 4 attempts.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
EH52ARH said:

In principle the same might apply to TA's, but the problem is the the twin axles fight the rotation, and at least two or more wheels will actually have to scrub to accommodate the motion. The force required to do that should not be underestimated, and whilst movers are quite powerful most are mot powerful enough to do that. Either motors and gear box are not powerful enough, or you cannot generate enough roller grip pressure to transfer the drive to the tyres. Mover manufacturers have to try various tricks to overcome the problem, and it usually means the TA cannot turn as tightly as an SA.

If you have ever tried to turn a TA by hand you may begin to appreciate the futility of the attempt. Even jacking up or lowering the jockey wheel to reduce the load on one pair of axles barely changes the success of the attempt. I once had to turn a TA through 90 degrees to get it into an environmental chamber, This was on smooth painted concrete. The space available was only about 1m longer than the caravan so no chance of a vehicle and it did not have a mover. The only way I could do it was to jack the jockey wheel to its full height, pull as strongly as I could on the side of hitch and try to move caravan backwards and forwards at the same time. I lost count of the number movements I made but it must have been 15 to 20 times. Normally this would have been moved by 4 people and probably taken 3 to 4 attempts.

You are correct which is why I mentioned turning on gravel as scrubbing hopefully will be reduced. Most continental sites require very tight turns to get onto the pitch due to very narrow roadways. I would want to avoid churning up any grass. I will experiment with the rollers not engaged as that should give me an idea.

TRENDING THREADS