Van bottoming on steep drive

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All, When i try to take my combo (Honda CRV/Lunar 2000) up my drive from the road the rear jacks strike the road as the back of the van dips. If I get the angles all wrong the whole lot can get jammed. In an attempt to overcome this I have considered fitting a drop plate to the tow bar and mounting a second ball below the regular towing one to use when coming out and re-entering my drive.Is this a feasable idea or has anybody out there got a better one (other than moving house)

Many Thanks

Martyn

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martyn, I also have a CRV and tow a 6m van. Without knowing the exact camber of the road and slope of your drive its hard to suggest a solution. Mounting a lower tow ball seems to me to be problamatic, how low would it have to be so that you could hitch up to it with the real towball above it? With the slope of your drive may it may lead to the jockey wheel or A frame grounding. It seems to me you need something which raises the caravan wheels at the low point so a ramp sort of arrangement may be the best option. Alternatively a motor mover or winch may be a solution.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Alternatively, you could 'soften' the angle by placing a ramp of adequate length over the kink between the road and your drive. The sort of ramp that is used to load cars on car transporters or trailers should do the trick.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Alternatively, you could 'soften' the angle by placing a ramp of adequate length over the kink between the road and your drive. The sort of ramp that is used to load cars on car transporters or trailers should do the trick.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martyn, I have this problem with the complication of a camber on the road giving a deep gutter and the road being a hill itself! I have a Powrtouch mover fitted and always bring the van out forwards and take it in backwards with the jockey wheel as low as possible. I always go down hill out, and come in up hill. I have a wide crossover that allows me to cut the corner -lefthand each time. Before the mover I would park uphill on opposite side of road, unhitch put car on drive, put boards or ramps across gutter to keep van wheels up, move van across road, hitch up and tow up the drive. Took some 7-8 mins to do this. Hope this helps.

Tony

TRENDING THREADS