van electrics

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
hi everyone, my partner thought it was a good idea to have a fan heater and the kettle on at the same time (domestic kettle) while i was using the sites showers. i came back to a strong smell of burning behind the control panel, anyway i called a mobile caravan workshop who came out and checked the electrics and informed me to only use low wattage appliances (which i have since bought), he said that no real damage had been caused and we were lucky this time. however we have visited the van a few times since and using the new kettle is fine but as soon as we use the toaster 7oowatt it smells of burning behind the control panel again its a strong smell. the campsite is 10 amp, has anyone got any suggestions please.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am concerned about the comment made by the mobile guy when he said you had no real damage.
What was meant by that ? was there some damage or none at all?????
You most certainly should not get a burning smell, that alone says that there is a problem which need finding and fixing as soon as possible, or your van may well end up a burnt out shell.

As for only using low wattage appliances, you should be able to use any normal appliances as long as your total power consumption is below the 10Amps of the site limit.

Some idea of what control panel you refer to would be helpful, maybe a photo or two?

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
hi thankyou for your reply. i dont really understand what he meant by that remark either, there must be some damage thats for sure as the burning smell is very strong. i can only send you some pics of the control panel when i visit the van next which should be in the next couple of weeks, once again thanks for your reply. :(

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Damian. If you get a smell of burning something is wrong and I would get someone else to look at it.
We use a standard kettle on most sites without problem although we have a low wattage kettle as well for use on sites with 10 amps or less and my wife uses a hairdryer which can reach 1500 watts and we have never had any problem. The only problem you should get if you use full power on site is to blow the fuse on the hook up if you overload it.

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
hi ray, thankyou for your reply. i have had the van around 6yrs and have never had any problems with it in the past. i also thought that if i overloaded the electrics it would simply trip but it didnt and gave a strong smell of burning. i will try and find someone else to look at it for me when i next visit the van, as obviously something is a miss. the thing that annoys me is that the mobile caravan bloke tested it and said not to much damage and will be fine, (not to much damage ?) he also said we just about got away with it and shouldnt have any further problems ???. using the tv is fine (different socket) the kettle is fine but as soon as i use the 700w toaster in the same socket as the kettle then thats when it starts burning again.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
sydney77 said:
......but as soon as i use the 700w toaster in the same socket as the kettle then thats when it starts burning again.

Both at the same time? If it's the toaster on its own then you can get a smell from burnt bread crumbs which have dropped into the base of the toaster.

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
......but as soon as i use the 700w toaster in the same socket as the kettle then thats when it starts burning again.

This sounds like a classic high resistance joint behind the socket that only occurs when the extra load is introduced.
Check the connection at the back of the socket. ( turn power off first ) Is there discolouring on the insulation?
If so cut back the cable and reconnect. Whilst disconnected blow out any debris in the terminals.

Phil.

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
hi, no i dont use the kettle and toaster at the same time. the socket for the kettle/toaster is at the rear of the van, and the consumer unit is near the front, the burning smell comes from behind the consumer unit and it smells badly when i put the toaster on, i havnt dared to try the portable electric fan heater as im worried it could cause a fire. many thanks for getting in touch.

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
hi dusty dog, no i havnt checked myself and to be honest i wouldnt know where to start. i assumed the mobile caravan repairer did this when he came to look over the van ?. thankyou for your reply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts