Van security

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi, We have an Fiat Ducato based AutoTrail Apache 632 and just wanted anyone's view on what additional security devices we could add to the Fiat cab doors or the Autotrail habitation door/windows to help improve on the basic security Fiat/Autotrail provide. We are looking to go to the Peterborough show in April so any comments before the show would be good to help with our research. Thanks in advance. Alan & Tina

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Alan & Tina - and happy motorhoming to you!
ALANROBINS said:
We are looking to go to the Peterborough show in April so any comments before the show would be good to help with our research.
You'll DEFINITELY need extra security there - all the MMM readers from O&AL Forum will turn up in force!
smiley-wink.gif

But seriously, it really depends on where you plan to park/sleep/camp, and how much trouble you're prepared to go to.
In the end, you'll never have absolute security in your van. It requires the lost art of "risk assessment," meaning asking yourself questions like
"How likely is it that this bad thing will happen?" (Depends on where you are, and who else is there!)
"How bad will it be if it does?" (Pretty dreadful)
"How much am I prepared to spend to guard against it?"
"How much will my precautions reduce the likelihood?"
Is that an Air Cadets glider in your avatar Alan? If you're involved with that outfit you'll know all about risk assessment!

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
ALANROBINS said:
Hi, We have an Fiat Ducato based AutoTrail Apache 632 and just wanted anyone's view on what additional security devices we could add to the Fiat cab doors or the Autotrail habitation door/windows to help improve on the basic security Fiat/Autotrail provide. We are looking to go to the Peterborough show in April so any comments before the show would be good to help with our research. Thanks in advance. Alan & Tina

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
NIGEL, ARE YOU OUT THERE?
Brum43 is clearly still having the "blank comment field" problem - see his/her thread on the "talk" forum. Can you help?

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi Tony, after reading Nigels post about IE9 compatability view and finding that my IE9 on my Win7 Comp did not have this, I thought perhaps my old XP comp would work so here goes. Hi Alan. If you normally park your' MH within about 30Mtrs of your front door then you may find that like me a Wireless Alarm System will give you peace of mind at least at home. I bought mine off EBay for £35.It came with Two PIRs, Six door or window Sensors, A main Alarm Panel & Two remote Operators. Batteries were also included. I am only using one PIR this covers the two cab doors and the habitat door. The other PIR could face down the van to cover the rear windows. The souder is loud enough to wake us but not to annoy the neighbours. With the Cat1 alarm and immobiliser as already fitted to the van, plus an home made Titanium Bar steering wheel lock this should give us more than enough time to see off any Toe Rags. The Main panel needs 230volts and mine is mounted behind my front door in full sight of the van and has many flashing LEDs to tell anyone that an alarm, not on the van mind you, is operating. If you loosley mount the main panel the whole lot can be taken with you to any site where you have EHU and used there. B43 At Last it works. Thanks for your help Tony, another post on "Talk"B43

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Tony, Thanks for getting back to me, the avtar was indeed me sitting in a glider, had a flying lesson as a b'day pressie one year and took off from the London gliding club in Dunstable, great experience! but alas just a one-off. We like to think we are sensible regarding to where we park-up and to-date have only stayed on formal sites with C&CC, CC or the like, had the van just coming up for the year without incident but thought we should look to protect the key entry points with regards to the two doors in the Fiat cab and the one into the habitation unit and looking for any A&G you can share with me. Ex military guy (25yrs in RN) and then an IT PM (20yrs) so done 'some' risk management during my two very different careers!!

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Brum43, Thank you for your feedback, yes we do leave our m'home on the drive just outside the front door when we are not touring so will look further into your suggestion. Thanks again for your input, very much appreciated

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, can't help on security, but wondered if those of you with problems posting had thought about trying another browser eg Firefox
I have problems posting using the phone, and have to click to disable rich text.
Just a thought

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi.
We have invested in a bit more sophisticated (read 'expensive') as of late, but in our early days we had a chain linking the driver and passenger doors. I felt this was a bit dangerous if we needed to get out quick, so used a panic alarm (like a noisy hand grenade) with the pin attached to one door and the body to the other. It was never needed but it did give a sence of safety, only remember to dismantle it in the morning.
Good hunting.

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Just come across this question so you are probably sorted by now.
I have fitted a pair of locks by Fiamma that mount on the inside of the cab door and lock against the frame. They look smart and are simple to operate. £42 approx.
Fiamma Safe Door Guardian D for Ducato.
www.outdoorbits.com/fiamma-safe-door-guardian-p-857.html

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi John, Thank you for your response, the locks look simple but effective, as we had not yet decided on the best way forward think we will order a pair of these. Thanks again for the link, much appreciated. Alan

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I have read about the VAN security and I have got many information about that.
but as you know that our homes should also be secure.
so that I have searched about the home security and I found a company website Gaylord Security that gave me a vast information about home security, adt alarms, security devices etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts