Van tripping

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Have learnt with this new van (to me) that every time we plug in on mains we have to re-set the the RCD trip switch,
once re-set there is no problems, until next time then re-set again.!!!
This happens both on site and at home, have tried two different mains leads, and today there was nothing plugged in.
Any ideas as to why this happens?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Kev, have you tried switching off the mains switch in the van before connecting to the EHU. I forget to switch mine off, on connecting and disconnecting.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Kev, have you tried switching off the mains switch in the van before connecting to the EHU. I forget to switch mine off, on connecting and disconnecting.
Hutch, always turn the main switch off before departure and then unplug.
This Might be normal but never had it with the last van.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have learnt with this new van (to me) that every time we plug in on mains we have to re-set the the RCD trip switch,
This happens both on site and at home, have tried two different mains leads, and today there was nothing plugged in.
We had the same with our caravan. We found out that we need to switch off everything in the caravan before disconnecting the EHU. On arrival at the next site as there was no heavy sudden draw as you connected up, the van no longer tripped. Not sure if it is similar to your issue, but it helped us prevent tripping as you connected up.

Reactions: Gagakev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Kev the caravan we have just sold had a similar problem the previous owner gave me a new hook up lead and then it started tripping when we got home we found out the hook up 1ead was at fault it was 16A extension lead 1.5mm and when the caravan engineer put 15m x 2.5mm (16A 3 pin extension lead) it work fine it might be that .

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Kevin......if you find you only have to reset the trip after a tow then it is road vibrations dislodging the trip and nothing to worry about.
They are not really designed to cope with bumpy roads and the primitive suspension of caravans......some are more sensitive to this than others.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Usually (but not every time) we have to reset the RCD circuit breaker after we arrive,can only imagine the motion of the van when moving causes the RCD device to open.
If the van is not moved the RCD circuit breaker does not need to be reset each time we plug it in

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
For the record, across four vans and over 30 years we have never once had a mechanical trip on the RCD. Agreed they are not designed to be used in a caravan but nonetheless. I did have one of the horrid Chinese things decide that it want to trip when we didn't want it to so I replaced it with a Schneider (formerly MEM) device which was physically identical in size and the issue never arose again.

However. There is a possibility of it happening due to minor surge through some component. Next time the OP is going to connect EHU, try switching off the MCBs but leave the RCD on and see what happens when the (live) EHU is connected. If it doesn't trip repeat with each MCB on alone with the RCD and see which circuit is causing the issue, if any.

Per Beachball, the size of EHU cable in use will make no difference at the point of connection. I occasionally use a 1.5mm cable (rated 17A) and never have the problem. Anyway, how does the RCD know the size of cable in use!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
We had the same with our caravan. We found out that we need to switch off everything in the caravan before disconnecting the EHU. On arrival at the next site as there was no heavy sudden draw as you connected up, the van no longer tripped. Not sure if it is similar to your issue, but it helped us prevent tripping as you connected up.
Hi Buckman, nothing plugged in and all off before we disconnect, thnaks for the input.

Reactions: Buckman
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kev the caravan we have just sold had a similar problem the previous owner gave me a new hook up lead and then it started tripping when we got home we found out the hook up 1ead was at fault it was 16A extension lead 1.5mm and when the caravan engineer put 15m x 2.5mm (16A 3 pin extension lead) it work fine it might be that .
Thanks Beachball, have tried two leads.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Kevin......if you find you only have to reset the trip after a tow then it is road vibrations dislodging the trip and nothing to worry about.
They are not really designed to cope with bumpy roads and the primitive suspension of caravans......some are more sensitive to this than others.
Hi Bill, will be going out to play with it tomorrow and check it out, will see if it is still up after no movement. Will let you know.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
For the record, across four vans and over 30 years we have never once had a mechanical trip on the RCD. Agreed they are not designed to be used in a caravan but nonetheless. I did have one of the horrid Chinese things decide that it want to trip when we didn't want it to so I replaced it with a Schneider (formerly MEM) device which was physically identical in size and the issue never arose again.

However. There is a possibility of it happening due to minor surge through some component. Next time the OP is going to connect EHU, try switching off the MCBs but leave the RCD on and see what happens when the (live) EHU is connected. If it doesn't trip repeat with each MCB on alone with the RCD and see which circuit is causing the issue, if any.

Per Beachball, the size of EHU cable in use will make no difference at the point of connection. I occasionally use a 1.5mm cable (rated 17A) and never have the problem. Anyway, how does the RCD know the size of cable in use!
Thanks Woodentop will bear that it mind and do that exercise when it happens again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

It will be due to one or two things. Either there is a fault with the RCD, - Some RCD's can become ultra sensitive, and may trip when normal units would remain on. Or there is some fault with the wiring or appliances in the caravan, but as the problem only seems to arise when you first make the EHU connection, I think it points to the actual RCD being faulty.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Buckman, nothing plugged in and all off before we disconnect, thnaks for the input.
Is the hot water also switched off as that is the biggest draw on power when you connect. Another way to would be to switch off the mains in the caravan when you leave a site and only switch it back on after you have connected the EHU at the next site. If it still trips then you may have a faulty trip switch or RCD.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Is the hot water also switched off as that is the biggest draw on power when you connect. Another way to would be to switch off the mains in the caravan when you leave a site and only switch it back on after you have connected the EHU at the next site. If it still trips then you may have a faulty trip switch or RCD.

Hot water is controlled by the Alde panel which is switched off by flicking the main switch off inside the door, and as said this main switch is always turned off before we disconnect.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are some forms of RCD's which do incorporate an excess current tripuse, but these are not likely to be fitted as standard in caravans, consequently a typical caravan RCD should not be affected by the size of the load current. The MCB's job is to disconnect the load current if it exceeds the designed limits.

The RCD only compares the value of the current flowing in the Live and Neutral conductors of the mains input. If everything is normal both these values will be exactly the same. If for any reason there is a dangerous leakage of current out of the circuit, (typically to Earth) that current will appear as a difference between L&N currents, and the RCD should trip.

Applying this to the OP's situation, means it should not trip just becasue something has been left switched on in the caravan before the mains power is connected.

The fact it is tripping therefore means either the RCD has become ultra sensitive ( and there have been several reports where this has been the case), or there is a fault condition in wiring or the mains appliances in the caravan. It would be wise to check all the wire terminals to ensure all the connections are working correctly from the 16A caravan connector. and not forgetting the EHU cables.

I would pay particular attention to the earth terminals.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......the OP's problem is not necessarily electrical.
RCDs in caravans can turn themselves off because of road induced vibrations.
My caravans RCD frequently but not always, requires resetting after a tow.
It has never tripped due to an electrical leakage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This might be true.

But the way the OP posted the initial comment it read to me as though it trips when, the power is connected , not prior to connection.

Either way it has the hallmarks of an over sensitive RCD (electrical or mechanical), or a lose/ intermittent connection.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
This might be true.

But the way the OP posted the initial comment it read to me as though it trips when, the power is connected , not prior to connection.

Either way it has the hallmarks of an over sensitive RCD (electrical or mechanical), or a lose/ intermittent connection.

Thanks for the input Prof, think what I missed out was that I didnt check the RCD before connecting, (sorry) I only realised it when plugged in and no power, THEN checked the RCD.

So been out and had a play tonight, van was connected up to house mains with power on, so I switched it off in the house, back on, unplug at outside socket, back in, unplug at van, plug back in, then did it all over with mains switch in van on and off, then with fridge on and off .
RCD didnt trip once.

So for the time being think I'll look further into Gafferbill's first suggestion of caravan vibration/movement, will have to wait until our next outing but I will let you know the outcome.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site

Thanks Bill am looking into this now see above reply to Prof as well
Thanks again.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the input Prof, think what I missed out was that I didnt check the RCD before connecting, (sorry) I only realised it when plugged in and no power, THEN checked the RCD.

So been out and had a play tonight, van was connected up to house mains with power on, so I switched it off in the house, back on, unplug at outside socket, back in, unplug at van, plug back in, then did it all over with mains switch in van on and off, then with fridge on and off .
RCD didnt trip once.

So for the time being think I'll look further into Gafferbill's first suggestion of caravan vibration/movement, will have to wait until our next outing but I will let you know the outcome.
Just to add to my previous posting, our previous 2016 Buccaneer was also an Elddis product and suffered similar and always assume it was because we had left something switched on. The issue was resolved, but cannot remember what was done to resolve the issue so unfortunately cannot add any further words of wisdom. :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts