Vauxhall Antara 2.0 CDTI Auto, thumbs up!

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Just thought I'd share my towing experience towing a 1350 Bailey Pageant with the Antara.

Absolutely brilliant. The car pulls well, holds speed perfectly with the cruise control set to 60 (ish) and punches past most things going up hill slower with no issues. Being the auto I was slightly worried about the car being confused as to which gear to use pulling that weight, but no issues here either. Sits in Auto selection on the gearbox with no need to manually change gear whatsoever.

The auto levelling rear suspension slso keeps the outfit nice and level, and also assists in stability here too making it a really comfortable cruise.

Obviously I have the older 2.0 Diesel engine but I can only imagine that the newer 2.2 unit will be better.

Now here's the other thing I've not mentioned... I have had an engine remap carried out on the car by Thorney Motorsport, as the original Vauxhall engine map is terrible, with the engine being thirsty and a little weak. But now it's a totally different motor with more torque and a bit extra hp. In fact I would recommend to anybody to get their engines remapped, on any car. It's a vast improvement from the stock mapping that comes as standard.

So there we have it. If anyone likes the Antara but is worried about its pulling capability, don't be. It's brilliant.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
This is a car many avoid because of the poor fuel consumption and the remap looks to be the answer. You must tell your insurer though as you might otherwise find yourself uninsured as this is a relevant modification. Would be interested to know there attitude.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The 2.0 diesel used in the Captiva/Antara is a Hyundai-built VM Motori-designed unit of great antiquity, gratefully abandoned by Hyundai/Kia when their own in-house-designed engines came on stream.

The more recent 2.2 Captiva/Antara diesel is a GM version of the old Fiat JTD diesel inherited under the GM-Fiat Powertrain alliance and itself being replaced by new generation diesels by GM.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Without starting a new topic its actually a daewoo engine,and fiat have never built a 2.2jtd,perhaps people think they did with stuff like Scudos but that was an hdi badged as a jtd.As ive said before gm dont have the brains to make anything to rival a jtd.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
seth1 said:
Without starting a new topic its actually a daewoo engine,and fiat have never built a 2.2jtd,perhaps people think they did with stuff like Scudos but that was an hdi badged as a jtd.As ive said before gm dont have the brains to make anything to rival a jtd.

GM Korea, as Daewoo has been known for several years, use the GM Family Z engine which is a GM derivative of the old Fiat JTD.

When GM and Fiat dissolved their Powertrain alliance, both parties retained rights to use Powertrain's designs - which included the JTD which was Fiat's input to the original alliance.

Capacities used by Fiat are irrelevant.

Daewoo don't have the brains to do anything - originally using obsolete Opel/Vauxhall designs they became an assembly point for low-quality Chevrolets designed in other parts of GM.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts