Vauxhall Astra 1992 1.6i towing Swift Challenger 440SE

Jul 19, 2006
Visit site
Just bought the above caravan, our first venture into the world of 'vans'. Not put off by Top Gears first trip out! I wanted to know if any one can offer any advice about the above car for the above caravan. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and change to a slighty larger car and more powerful car, but will it be alright for the short term?

We are not planning to go far in it.

Many thanks in advance.

Johnny

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
From what tow car...

The caravan is too heavy for safe towing in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 127%.

The towing performances of this Opel with your Swift are very bad (performance index = 73 km/u or 45 mph).

For sure you can't expect stunning performances from this outfit, on the contrary. To come along - even on flat roads - you must floor the gas pedal and change gears frequently in which case top gear isn't applicable.

On motorway inclines you will have to step on the gas and let the engine make high revs to come along. On most steep roads you have sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts you may have all sorts of problems to get going.

Jul 19, 2006
Visit site
From what tow car...

The caravan is too heavy for safe towing in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 127%.

The towing performances of this Opel with your Swift are very bad (performance index = 73 km/u or 45 mph).

For sure you can't expect stunning performances from this outfit, on the contrary. To come along - even on flat roads - you must floor the gas pedal and change gears frequently in which case top gear isn't applicable.

On motorway inclines you will have to step on the gas and let the engine make high revs to come along. On most steep roads you have sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts you may have all sorts of problems to get going.
It's not looking too god then....

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I haven't got a max. towload figure for your particular Astra but I suspect it's around 1100-1200kg which is probably way below the max. weight of the Swift Challenger. It is therefore highly likely, that this would be an illegal combination.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts