Vauxhall Omega gearbox..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have recently bought a 2001 Omega 2.2cd with manual gearbox,I find sometimes after sitting overnight its difficult to get in gear.When I move off its fine although slightly notchy..I have had some poor work carried out at my local v/hall dealer in the past on other cars and am reluctant to go back.

Any Omega owners had this problem or any advise would be welcome.

The car has only done 35,000 mls.

john.b.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

My brother has the same problem with his Zafira and has refilled the box with normal engine oil - it now works fine. I have also experienced this problem with Vaux gearboxes although I must say my current Vectra is fine. I should add that bruv is a qualified Auto engineer so he does know about these things.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't ever use engine oil in the gearbox - apart from "gearbox in sump" versions of Metro - ALL cars use a totally different specification of oil for gearboxes.

For your Omega find an independent garage with a good reputation from friends, neighbours, etc.

Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
I have to agree with RogerL under no cicumstances should engine oil be used in an Omega gearbox. Its a long time since i worked for Vauxhall but from memory the Omega uses a Getrag 5 speed manual box. This box uses oil which is specific to it. It is clear in colour (if that makes sence)and comes in 1lt tins black in colour. In the garage it was always refered to as Getrag oil. As for the problem it may just be that the clutch may need slight adjustment as it is dragging slightly or possibly the spigot bearing is dry and not allowing the first motion shaft to stop completely. Either of these problems will cause difficult gear selection especially when cold.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Agree with all the comments about not using engine oil in an manual gear box, unless you want to participate in a new hobby rebuilding gearboxes.

Get the clutch adjustment checked - if you have the Haynes manual - you can do this yourself to make sure.

You could consider replacing the standard gearbox oil (usually SAE 80w90 with about 50% synthetic oil) with a fully synthetic gearbox oil (usually SAE 70w90) - synthetic gearbox oils are just that bit thinner when cold and help improve the gear change quality. But they have all the right corrosion inhibitors and extreme pressure additivies for use in a gearbox.

Robert

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Sorry can't get exited about not using engine oil in a gearbox - millions of BMC front weel drive used it, all the Manual Jags I have owned used it and my MGB does too. Modern semi sythetic oils have all the corrosion protection you will ever need and will lubricate the bearings and shafts adequately - they will not turn to treacle when cold which is probably the problem here. I dispute clutch drag as this would cause "crunching" of gears which is a different symptom. As an easy fix I would still recomend it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have the gearbox drained & filled with whatever Vauxhall specify as it isn't uncommon for the wrong oil to be used. Remember the old Rover SD1? The five speed manual gearbox on those actually uses Automatic Transmission Fluid & I've seen no-end of stiff-to-change Rover 'boxes that have had reqular EP90 gear oil put in by mistake!

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Have the gearbox drained & filled with whatever Vauxhall specify as it isn't uncommon for the wrong oil to be used. Remember the old Rover SD1? The five speed manual gearbox on those actually uses Automatic Transmission Fluid & I've seen no-end of stiff-to-change Rover 'boxes that have had reqular EP90 gear oil put in by mistake!
Sensible advice but Vaux dont call for G/box oil change on any of their models except the Agila so at 35K i'ts probably the factory stuff init and I'd still say it's too thick for this particular G/box

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies,I think first I will get the clutch adjustment checked and then get the gearbox oil changed just to make sure,having had really poor service from V/hall dealers in the past it is possible they have put chipfat in the gearbox...

regards john.b.

p.s.-one thing I have noticed,when I park the car overnight I leave it in gear and do not seem to have any difficulty getting it in gear although the slight notchiness is still there at all times....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts