venice

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
We stayed at the southern end of Lake Garda where there are may sites and caught the train from Descenzano. Journey took about 90mins or so and cost about £11 return - albeit this was 6-7 years ago. Italian railways are fast, clean, and cheap. Many of the trains have double-deck carriages which give a very good view. Going across the lagoon into Venice is something to behold and remember.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pat
We have stayed at two campsites near Venice. Twice at Camping Miramare at Punta Sabbioni and once at Camping Ca Savio, in Ca Savio. My preference would be Miramare because its within walking distance of the ferry to Venice. However if you want a more resort based type campsite Ca Savio or similar might suit better. When we stay near Venice it because we want to visit the City so lots of facilities on site are not an issue for us.

David

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We did the same as Woody - stayed near Lake Garda and travelled in by train. You can get an early train in and a late train home again. We loved Venice, and thought that arriving by train was the best. Right outside the station you can get the water taxi which takes you the length of the Grand Canal, which is a magical experience. We felt we had plenty of time for a quick visit - although a return by OH and myself is definitely on the cards.
We also got the train into Verona, where they were just setting up for a performance of Aida - which coulnd't have afforded tickets, but seeing the scenery and the setting was magic enough for us!
We felt doing it this way gave us a 'two-centre' holiday - lake and seaside - but I must admit to having a hankering to stay on a campsite on the coast as David Klyne has suggested.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I would second David Klyne's sugestion. We stayed at Mirramar (some years since) and were able to walk to the ferry. If not that site then there are scores of others a bit further away but this would involve paying to park at Punta Sabioni or getting a bus.
Dave

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Pat
We visited Venice in August 2006 and stayed at Camping Cavallino on the Jesolo Peninsula. This peninsula has a line of excellent campsites stretching along the beach which faces the Adriatic - Alan Rogers Italy (2009) lists over 20.
Here is the review I wrote at the time which includes a a number of tips about geting the best from visiting Venice:
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=7387
I would highly recommend Camping Cavallino. We had not booked but just phoned ahead the day before we arrived. It was an excellent base both as a beach holiday centre and for visiting Venice. We were given a large pitch near to the beach. We, also, visited Camping Union Lido nearby to attend the English Church Service - that campsite has a full-sized Church building. Union Lido is HUGE Alan Rogers Italy (2009) says that it has 2600 tourer pitches. Whilst not our "cup of tea" it was VERY impressive and its facilities included a very large supermarket, a shopping precinct, hotel, several swimming pool complexes and a sporting complex and camping superstore on the opposite side of the main road.
The only downside if you stay on the Jesolo Peninsula in high summer is to avoid the main road on Saturday as it tends to be on a Saturday as holiday traffic arriving and departing turns it into one long traffic jam. It is possible to avoid the traffic by using the side roads.
Post again if you have any other questions about Venice and the surrounding campsites.
Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts