Vent underneath ??

Jun 19, 2020
Visit site
Hi
We are new to Motorhoming, I have a Swift Ace Capri 2007 motorhome and have been underneath the vehicle today to have a look around, I have found a vent at the rear around the fridge/oven area, our vehicle has rear kitchen, the vent can be pushed open or closed. Could anyone help in telling me what the vent is used for and when should it be in the open or closed position. thanks

vent.jpg

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Probably a gas drip vent either to allow fresh air in for the fridge and oven or to let leaking gas out. I’d always leave vent open personally. Not sure why you should be able to close it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Probably a gas drip vent either to allow fresh air in for the fridge and oven or to let leaking gas out. I’d always leave vent open personally. Not sure why you should be able to close it.

A gas drop vent won't, or shouldn't, have any provision for closure.

Jun 19, 2020
Visit site
thanks for reply, yes it can be pushed opened or closed, not sure if you could see in image, the previous owner even wrote in white paint, this way open, this way closed.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Being underneath and at the rear could the previous owner have changed a fixed vent for this if spray came up through the original fixed vent?
As said before I'd leave it open, it should surely be open at all times the gas is on if that's the only vent.

Reactions: Tuningdrew
Jun 19, 2020
Visit site
Being underneath and at the rear could the previous owner have changed a fixed vent for this if spray came up through the original fixed vent?
As said before I'd leave it open, it should surely be open at all times the gas is on if that's the only vent.
thanks, will leave open as people have advised, thanks for your help

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There should always be an open vent under the fridge and or oven to act as a gas drop out vent. LPG is heavier than air and will always seek the lowest point it can find.

Looking at the picture, I have never seen a similar vent cover, and it doesn't look very professional, so I do wonder if the cover has been added by a previous owner, hence the painted instructions.

There are regulations that require gas drop out holes for gas appliances, but there are also regulations that require fixed open ventilation for the habitation volume. Depending on where the manufacturer has positioned these, some people do complain about cold draughts but for your safety they should not be blocked.

According to the fridge manufacturers fitting instructions the front edge of teh fridge should be a tight fit to the surounding furniture. Often the caravan/motorhome manufacturer may leave a gap, and this can cause a draught. It is safe to close the gap with a compliant foam strip. but you should make sure the strip can be removed if the fridge needs to be removed at any time.

Jun 19, 2020
Visit site
There should always be an open vent under the fridge and or oven to act as a gas drop out vent. LPG is heavier than air and will always seek the lowest point it can find.

Looking at the picture, I have never seen a similar vent cover, and it doesn't look very professional, so I do wonder if the cover has been added by a previous owner, hence the painted instructions.

There are regulations that require gas drop out holes for gas appliances, but there are also regulations that require fixed open ventilation for the habitation volume. Depending on where the manufacturer has positioned these, some people do complain about cold draughts but for your safety they should not be blocked.

According to the fridge manufacturers fitting instructions the front edge of the fridge should be a tight fit to the surrounding furniture. Often the caravan/motorhome manufacturer may leave a gap, and this can cause a draught. It is safe to close the gap with a compliant foam strip. but you should make sure the strip can be removed if the fridge needs to be removed at any time.
Hi, thanks for info, not sure when this vent was fitted, i assumed that as we also have 2 vents on the back of the motorhome (outside) which are vented for the fridge and oven this would allow any gas to escape. Had been online to see if anyone has had this vent underneath, but so far no one has a similar, so will leave in open as suggested, again thanks for your help.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, thanks for info, not sure when this vent was fitted, i assumed that as we also have 2 vents on the back of the motorhome (outside) which are vented for the fridge and oven this would allow any gas to escape. Had been online to see if anyone has had this vent underneath, but so far no one has a similar, so will leave in open as suggested, again thanks for your help.
The vents on the side of the caravan, are not gas drop out holes, they are the air intake and flue vents for the fridge.

As I pointed out LPG is heavier than air so the dropout vent has to be at the lowest point i.e. the floor. The vent will have been fitted from new by the manufacturer, however the closable cover is not what I would expect to see, and it certainly should never be closed, which is why I suspect it has been fitted by a previous owner who did not realise the safety importance of the vent.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I’d say the previous owner DID know the importance of an open vent otherwise he would have merely covered it up if spray was a problem on the move. It’s remembering to open it on arrival every time is the weak point. If spray entering the saloon is the problem then I would fit a deflector rather than a closeable flap.
Leave it open for now but if you find the floor getting wet in the galley after driving in rain you’ll have to find some other solution. Possibly a different cover you can screw over the hole with angled slats to deflect spray, just need to know from which angle the water is coming at it!

TRENDING THREADS