victims of the crisis

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Oh well, we had had the writing on the wall for months.

Today came the signature.

I was offered i day a week but it would be just over 30 miles each way.

So a lot of thinking to do...

Anyone else been caught?

G

I am sorry but your Post is a bit vague. I suspect i understand what you are trying to say, but would not like to make a wrong interpretation.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Silly me should have said writing on the wall at work!!

Come the end of March office and factory are shutting down.

Office relocating so I've been offered one day a week but, as I say it's a 60 mile round trip.

But I think I'm in a stronger position if I take it to get another job.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'd take it - a bird in the hand, and all that! Employers always look favourably on someone who's working.

Best of luck - and hope you find something nearer, and better, soon.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Smiley

Sorry to here your news.Yes we are in the same position. I lost my job about 12 months back and my wife will be put out of work the end of May 2009. Where we live no work every place down here in Worthing is closing. Go through main shopping area every other shop is boarded up factory units with for let or sale.Its not good.

The only thing I would say and I wonder if you think the same?

These bankers that got us into this trouble why are they not behind bars. Because thats were i think some of them should be.

G

My sympathies go to anyone who is losing their job. I had redundancy 3 times in my working career and it ain't funny, especially as I had 1 occasion where my wife lost her job the same time. However, all I can say, is that things did change eventually and we moved on.

I agree that senior bankers have to take their share of the blame, but they are by no means the sole culprits. Many businesses were encouraged to take pension holidays, and expand far more than they should have done. They went along with it, becuase they were all scared that if they did not, they would be left behind. They were also encouraged to swop assets for debt as a means to avoid take overs. That was great as long as profts kept rising, once they stalled, then the loans became due. We also had a general population who believed that they could have everything today, and to Hell with tomorrow. Just get another credit card and it would all work fine. Some people stated several years ago that we were heading for a disaster, but they were all told they were wrong. No more 'Boom and Bust' was the expression I believe. We have had a Government for the last 11 years that has presided over de-regulating everything in the interest of getting fast bucks in taxes, which they then blew. We reduced our manufacturing base as it was easier, and richer to pass paper around and pretend we were working. As a consequence you will have noticed that the public sector has remained immune to any downturn and is gaily hiring more and more diversity coordinators, or whatever. So, we outside this blessed society will be paying more and more to keep them in gold plated lifestyles, while the rest of the 'workers' fall beside the wayside.

The answer as they say in the song is 'blowing in the wind' and I know that this recession/depression is going to last a lot longer than our illustrious masters have so far told us. That is because we have no back up plan apart from the Zimbabwe policy of 'print and more print'. I think it will be 2011 before you see any 'green shoots' and by then an awful lot of people will have suffered badly.

If you have any nest eggs at all then consider moving out of the UK as the opportunities will arise sooner in other countries. Unless of course we build another false bubble on credit. If you are at the top of a Ponzi scheme you can be rich very fast. Alternatively, get yourself on a reality TV Show. Talent is not a requirement.

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
my OH was treatened with redundacy last week, he had a meetiing with the bosses and they offered him a kitchen porters job within the big hotel chain he was a maintenance man with. a major drop in wages but still a job.

myra

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
my OH was treatened with redundacy last week, he had a meetiing with the bosses and they offered him a kitchen porters job within the big hotel chain he was a maintenance man with. a major drop in wages but still a job.

myra
I bet I know which kitchen porter they'll call upon when something goes wrong with the plumbing/electrics/door locks etc. etc.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I sympathise with any one losing their jobs today but as one door closes another one opens. I worked for a national firm in the south and had worked myself up the ladder over 25 years and as far as i was concerned it was until i retired and with a good pension, so when i was told it was relocating to the north and i could take the family it seemed ok until my children said they would not like to.So at the age of 55 i resigned and went self employed, yes it had its ups and downs but we are still here enjoying our retirement and getting away when we want.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Smiley

What a pi$$er. No one is safe anymore.

In the interim period I would take up their ofer of one day a wek. It keps you in touch with the world and you never know something may crop up that you like.

I had a similar thing two years ago and now take life easy helping where I can. I'm not rich but then we've doen all the big houses etc. We just love living and the caravan!

Good luck

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts