Virgin Lancashirian Caravanner

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Hi. Just a quick note to say hi. In New to caravanning and have just bought a new Lunar Clubman SR to tow with my Mazda 6 175PS from Campbell's Caravans in lostock hall in Preston, when I say just bought, it was 2 and a bit weeks ago.

As I'm new to caravanning so I also plumped for the purchase of an automatic Motor Mover to simplify manoeuvring. But it seems I'm better reversing the van than i originally thought I would be..... All those times playing European Truck simulator in virtual reality reversing big 18 wheelers really do help... I am surprised there isn't a caravan simulator, but I suppose the regular caravanning clientele aren't virtual reality users? Correct me if I'm wrong as I imagine this would be a great tool. And as I'm also a developer would love to create this if there was demand for it :)

I did have issues getting my noseweight down to the 75kg max for my car. But I eventually managed without having to remove the spare wheel or rear loading, but it means quite a bit of moving stuff around when packing/unpacking, but the van seems very stable when towing

Anyway we are away again this weekend for our third outing so hopefully everything continues as well as it's started. We have so far stayed at a fully service pitch as well as a standard pitch with no direct water hookup...I do much prefer the first option and think it's worth the extra....but I would also like to try fully off grid, if and when I can afford a solar panel. Little did I know that all the accessories I needed (ok wanted!) Were so expensive. I'm in nearly 3k in accessories, which to be honest I didn't quite appreciate this extra cost when purchasing the van. So I am reeling a bit.

The only negative so far is that I called Campbell's during the first couple of days after ordering the van to request an upgrade to the Truma inet platform. Which according to the Lunar website is an upgrade for £249 but I was told by the salesman that it was included. Even though I suspected what he was telling me was wrong. So now will have to request and have this fitted at some point.... But would have preferred that this was upgraded before I picked it up. So that's a red mark for Campbell's from me.

Anyway. Who knows may see some of you out and about!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello fuzzy ,
Welcome to the wiered & wonderful world of caravaning , i am going to be big headed here and say that im brilliant at reversing in fact but since getting the mover put I don't do much of it now, I pull up on site unhook and let the mover do the work argument free !
You're also correct in saying that when you first initially start to set up you can spend a good few thousand pound getting all the bits and bobs and an awning a itself can cost from a few hundred to a few thousand bur once you have most of it you've got it , but like I say welcome c'vanning and enjoy your trips out.

Craig

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Fuzzy wait a bit decide what type of caravanning you do, a porch awning for weekend or a full one for a two week stay, hold back on that as for Craigs big head , yes he is great until we watch him (not seen it yet) but the better you can reverse , gets worse the more people watching, never mind. Enjoy yourself.

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Yup I know that feeling but with Every time I am hitching up. It seems that people sit and wait until that moment to then try and leave and get past me blocking the road, and it makes make me rush and not do things like disengage motor mover, take off handbrake or Lift the jockey wheel. Think I need to get learning to just have blinkers and take my time.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
fuzzysb said:
Yup I know that feeling but with Every time I am hitching up. It seems that people sit and wait until that moment to then try and leave and get past me blocking the road, and it makes make me rush and not do things like disengage motor mover, take off handbrake or Lift the jockey wheel. Think I need to get learning to just have blinkers and take my time.

Been there, still doing it. Just relax make the buxxers drive round,and as your hitching up or depitching they don't want to drive into 3 inches of water, or onto grass, ( no caravan on the back ) incase they get stuck.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello and a warm welcome from a fellow Lancastrian (ribble valley) Glad to hear you're enjoying it,it's surprising how many bits and bobs you accumulate in first couple of years,always something to pick up or replace for better quality as you bought a crap one first time round.Enjoy. :cheer:

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
fuzzysb said:

Been there, still doing it. Just relax make the buxxers drive round,and as your hitching up or depitching they don't want to drive into 3 inches of water, or onto grass, ( no caravan on the back ) incase they get stuck.

Y i ! Like hutch has said stuff them ! Let them wait and make sure you do what you need to do in the correct order , it only takes a few minutes to get sorted out with a motor mover and get on to your pitch . I normaly disconnect the car from the caravan and as soon as the hitch is free from the car the wife moves the car out of the way , it will get easier as time goes on and the more you do it but enjoy and chill . ( and i am a good reverser ) managed 4 year without one , but wouldn't be without one on van now !

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
EH52ARH said:
fuzzysb said:

Y i ! Like hutch has said stuff them ! Let them wait and make sure you do what you need to do in the correct order , it only takes a few minutes to get sorted out with a motor mover and get on to your pitch . I normaly disconnect the car from the caravan and as soon as the hitch is free from the car the wife moves the car out of the way , it will get easier as time goes on and the more you do it but enjoy and chill . ( and i am a good reverser ) managed 4 year without one , but wouldn't be without one on van now !

Or should it be tail to tail. :cheer:

Smart arse Craig, love to go head to head for a can of beer on our reversing skills. Coming your way after the Wossie fest , looking at staying Barnard castle maybe 20 or 22nd sept.

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Brasso530 said:
Hello and a warm welcome from a fellow Lancastrian (ribble valley) Glad to hear you're enjoying it,it's surprising how many bits and bobs you accumulate in first couple of years,always something to pick up or replace for better quality as you bought a crap one first time round.Enjoy. :cheer:

That's how I used to be, but I lived and worked in Switzerland for a few years and the one thing the Swiss drummed into me was buy cheap buy twice. So I now look at the range of products and don't necessarily buy the most expensive, but maybe within the top 25%. But I suppose that's why it's been an expensive start. I was thinking there was less to be bought than there was. It's like setting up home for the first time, but back then I did buy cheap and struggled on with bad quality stuff for years. Won't make the same mistake again.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
True, we have friends , just south of Zurich, walked our two dogs and their Labrador, due to the dog tax they though I was loaded money wise. Little did they know, I was meeting my banker. Ha ha.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Lancashirian, thats a new one, I thought we were Lancastrians. :p

I woudlnt be too dismissive of the motor mover, I spent most of my adult life driving artics, at least once her Maj no longer had need of me. There will be some pitches that you will find challenging to get on, particularly if somebody across is causing an obstruction and it can sometimes be quite tight. Its better to swallow a little professional pride than damage your new caravan.

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Thingy said:
Lancashirian, thats a new one, I thought we were Lancastrians. :p

Don't ask me, I only live here now.... I'm not a native.... There was me thinking a Lancastrian was someone from Lancaster....... But I live and learn what I am every day :D

But in my defence. My wife who is a native thought the same as me :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. The Mazda is a good towcar, I know as I have one and a Lunar but ours is a Quasar which is lighter. Not sure of the age of yours, but ours has a maximum noseweight of 80 kg.
I do think the Clubman may be a bit heavy for the Mazda though if you are a beginner at towing as it has an MTPLM of 1500kg, which is nearly as high as the kerbweight of the car. The suggested MTPLM for beginners to towing is that the MTPLM of the caravan should be no more than 85% of the cars kerbweight.
Most 6's have a kerb weight of just over 1500 kg although it does depend on the actual model you have. The engine will manage, but the load margin is very tight and I would make sure therefore that the car is carrying plenty of weight rather than this being in the caravan.
Longer term I would be looking at a heavier car when it is time to replace it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts