Viscosity of oil

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
DPF regeneration doesn't need 2,000 rpm, that is an urban myth - on holiday I often cruise at 50 solo on ordinary single carriageway roads, about 1,250 rpm in top gear, but it'll carry out an active regeneration if it needs to.
I have to disagree about it being a "myth". If my VAG DPF light comes on, My own car's handbook tells me to drive at between 2000 and 2250rpm in 4th or 5th gear until the light extinguishes. On a couple of occasions the DPF warning hasn't extinguished, it goes into limp home and tells me to take the car to the garage. Having been stung once by the charges to plug in and ODB 2 Reader to set up the full regeneration and carry it out, I bought a second hand Delphi system and can now do it myself. - it's paid for its self.

My BiL owns a service garage and he tells me VAG's regeneration calls for teh engine to be run at about 2000rpm in 4th or 5th which agrees with the Delphi instructions.

The regeneration process attempts to get the DPF elements up to about +800C. It does this by using extra fuels to heat up the exhaust temperatures. There is a danger of exterior surface of the DPF getting too hot if the car is stationary, and it could start a fire on the car or damage the surface of the road.

My Delphi system can show DPF temperatures, and its quite sensitive to speed and gear ratios. Running at anything below 1900rpm it simply does not get hot enough.

It may be different for other manufacturers or models, but I can only relate my own experience, but this proves its not a "myth"

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have to disagree about it being a "myth". If my VAG DPF light comes on, My own car's handbook tells me to drive at between 2000 and 2250rpm in 4th or 5th gear until the light extinguishes. On a couple of occasions the DPF warning hasn't extinguished, it goes into limp home and tells me to take the car to the garage. Having been stung once by the charges to plug in and ODB 2 Reader to set up the full regeneration and carry it out, I bought a second hand Delphi system and can now do it myself. - it's paid for its self.

My BiL owns a service garage and he tells me VAG's regeneration calls for teh engine to be run at about 2000rpm in 4th or 5th which agrees with the Delphi instructions.

The regeneration process attempts to get the DPF elements up to about +800C. It does this by using extra fuels to heat up the exhaust temperatures. There is a danger of exterior surface of the DPF getting too hot if the car is stationary, and it could start a fire on the car or damage the surface of the road.

My Delphi system can show DPF temperatures, and its quite sensitive to speed and gear ratios. Running at anything below 1900rpm it simply does not get hot enough.

It may be different for other manufacturers or models, but I can only relate my own experience, but this proves its not a "myth"
I was merely relating my own experience that my VW will carry out an active regeneration at 1,250 rpm quite satisfactorily. The DPF on my car is close-coupled.

Maybe the difference is that once the warning light comes on, a forced regeneration is needed - my VW never gets that far (yet, as it may eventually over time/mileage)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
First I need to touch some wood just in case.

I did have some issues with a Citroen C5 a long time ago. Dealer was awful. But Citroen told them to change it.

Since then with various diesel cars, Nissan X-Trail, Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando and now the Volvo V70. I have had no issues at all. I am not even aware when it enters regen mode and no warning lights. And most of my journeys are short. When I was at work that was 8 miles each way, It would often be weeks before any decent journey was made.

Perhaps I am just extremely lucky. Just touching wood again just in case.

This is the Volvo instruction.

36450E05-BA81-48E1-9CB3-3C5FB08170EC.jpeg

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
First I need to touch some wood just in case.

I did have some issues with a Citroen C5 a long time ago. Dealer was awful. But Citroen told them to change it.

Since then with various diesel cars, Nissan X-Trail, Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando and now the Volvo V70. I have had no issues at all. I am not even aware when it enters regen mode and no warning lights. And most of my journeys are short. When I was at work that was 8 miles each way, It would often be weeks before any decent journey was made.

Perhaps I am just extremely lucky. Just touching wood again just in case.

This is the Volvo instruction.

View attachment 1938

John
A parking heater is an unusual fitment for U.K. I had one in a VW 411LE which could be set to come on using a timer. Sounded like a Lightning on reheat.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A parking heater is an unusual fitment for U.K. I had one in a VW 411LE which could be set to come on using a timer. Sounded like a Lightning on reheat.
I ordered a parking heater when my Touareg was new, it has a timer as well as remote control - works very well in winter to warm the cabin and speeds up engine warm-up, seem to reduce overall fuel consumption during the warm-up - yes, they are noisy in operation!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ouch garage have just come back to me with quote for oil change and new oil filter at £182 as Jeep takes 9 litres of oil. I was not expecting it to be that high. Dilemma now and need to make a decision. :unsure:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ouch garage have just come back to me with quote for oil change and new oil filter at £182 as Jeep takes 9 litres of oil. I was not expecting it to be that high. Dilemma now and need to make a decision. :unsure:
Could you bring your service plan service forwards? My CVT takes 11 litres and 2 hour labour every two years if “ severe” duty usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Find a good independent that will just charge labour if you supply the oil and filter - my Touareg takes 8.7 litres of expensive oil, I don't need to be ripped off by paying dealer prices for oil.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

Get a fiver off with national tyre

And probably cheaper anyway

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Also after a good read found this;
Oil Change Due — Diesel Engine
Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The "Oil Change Due" message will display in the EVIC for five seconds after a single chime has sounded at the start of each ignition that an oil change is due. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.

I like to think that my driving style is smooth and not aggressive with hard acceleration etc. even when towing the caravan. Considering usage of vehicle is low with most mileage being done in the past month. However between Nov 2020 and end of Dec 2020 every day I had to make a 24 miles round trip into the town. Of that 24 miles only about 10 miles was urban driving. In that period the vehicle never went anywhere else.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Find a good independent that will just charge labour if you supply the oil and filter - my Touareg takes 8.7 litres of expensive oil, I don't need to be ripped off by paying dealer prices for oil.
That quote was from an independent. The oil needs to be the low ash etc quality oil. Price included filter.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Get a fiver off with national tyre

And probably cheaper anyway
A lot depends on the type of oil that they use but will check. Seems they use Valvoline Synpower XL-11 C3 5W - 30, but no idea if this is a low ash fuel?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Pulled out invoices for servicing last year in Sept & Oct 2020 and no mention of an oil change on either invoice? The oil change is part of the service and is the first thing on the list of maintenance items.
They have listed the following;

Drive belt change
Fuel filter x 2????
Jeep Wrangler Oil filter
GS Heavy duty coolant
Screenwash additive

On the 2019 invoice for service the oil change is listed as each individual item is itemised with its cost. It now seems that the oil was never changed despite it being the 12 month interval?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
So far as I can see, all cars fitted with a DPF require low saps (ash). Mine is 5.5 ltr of fully synthetic low ash. Looking at prices, they vary massively. I found this one for £26. And that’s for 6 ltr. Fully synthetic and low ash.

Others are coming in at 3 times that, It suggests to me that some sellers just think of a figure and double it.

Why not give ATS a call like I suggested, I bet it is around £70. Ask them whose oil they use and for the specification.

I would hate to be paying stupidly inflated prices.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Pulled out invoices for servicing last year in Sept & Oct 2020 and no mention of an oil change on either invoice? The oil change is part of the service and is the first thing on the list of maintenance items.
They have listed the following;

Drive belt change
Fuel filter x 2????
Jeep Wrangler Oil filter
GS Heavy duty coolant
Screenwash additive

On the 2019 invoice for service the oil change is listed as each individual item is itemised with its cost. It now seems that the oil was never changed despite it being the 12 month interval?

I have always been cynical about garages charging and main dealers can be the worse. Having paid for a service contract up front gives them licence to abuse your good will.

There can be no excuse for not providing a detailed and correct invoice for your records. But in order to change the filter (if they did), suggests the oil was changed.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have always been cynical about garages charging and main dealers can be the worse. Having paid for a service contract up front gives them licence to abuse your good will.

There can be no excuse for not providing a detailed and correct invoice for your records. But in order to change the filter (if they did), suggests the oil was changed.

John
Spoke with dealership and they state oil was changed and on querying why it was not listed on the invoice a number of reasons came to light?
Although the vehicle is only due for its next service end of Sept they have stated that they can bring the service forward and do it next week. Since last service the vehicle will have done less than 6000 miles. They will then do the MOT in Sept 2021. This is included in the service contract so no additional cost otherwise they quote £250 for the oil change only.
Unfortunately it is a 140 mile round trip each time although for the original service we are booked into Moreton in Marsh CAMC site end of Sept. I am a bit unsure, but want the oil change done.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Spoke with dealership and they state oil was changed and on querying why it was not listed on the invoice a number of reasons came to light?
Although the vehicle is only due for its next service end of Sept they have stated that they can bring the service forward and do it next week. Since last service the vehicle will have done less than 6000 miles. They will then do the MOT in Sept 2021. This is included in the service contract so no additional cost otherwise they quote £250 for the oil change only.
Unfortunately it is a 140 mile round trip each time although for the original service we are booked into Moreton in Marsh CAMC site end of Sept. I am a bit unsure, but want the oil change done.
Why not bring the MOT forward too or alternatively use a local mot testing garage when it comes due. Cost you almost as much in fuel to do extra trip compared to local mot garage.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why not bring the MOT forward too or alternatively use a local mot testing garage when it comes due. Cost you almost as much in fuel to do extra trip compared to local mot garage.
Any repairs required for the MOT pass are included in the service contract. Last year they tried to squirm out of it, but vehicle keeps a record of all software updates etc. I have thought about bringing MOT forward, but July is when we return from our holidays broke as usual. LOL!
Not sure where the info is kept on the vehicle, but when mentioned that we can checked, they caved in very quickly. We will not be renewing our servcie contract with them as no longer trust them.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
There's now c4 oil too-all to protect the dpf and catalysts -our petrols call for C3 oil or low SAPS too.- our Navara specs C4.

On the DPF front our Nissan Navara has 12000 miles on the clock now-have never ever noticed it regen the dpf-how would I tell? It did smell hot on a decent drive when we stopped-would that be it?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There's now c4 oil too-all to protect the dpf and catalysts -our petrols call for C3 oil or low SAPS too.- our Navara specs C4.

On the DPF front our Nissan Navara has 12000 miles on the clock now-have never ever noticed it regen the dpf-how would I tell? It did smell hot on a decent drive when we stopped-would that be it?
Probably was the reason if it’s not the normal position.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
have never ever noticed it regen the dpf-how would I tell?

With both our vehicles, a 2013 Golf Mk7 2.0 litre and a 2016 Disco 4, the lack of any indicator advising of an active DPF burn is also to me an irritant.
It would be much better IMO, if I knew so that I could go "once more round the block" to let it complete its burn, than either realise when I stop or never twig it is underway.

Both vehicles give a "hint" in the fuel consumption rises, i.e. the MPG drops.

With the Golf the cooling fan runs, which is not normally activated, more or less how hard its pre shutdown run had been. Plus, with that going on, you can't miss the rising hot air as the driver's door is opened even if deaf.

With the Disco, you just have to take it either its "life style" looks after it, or it happens without a hint other than it is the cause of the poorer fuel consumptions that I sometime note.

Neither vehicle from new, so in 8.5 & 5 years, has ever, flagged up a DPF warning light. But for most short runs I use an "e" or "push bike mostly, not either car.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With both our vehicles, a 2013 Golf Mk7 2.0 litre and a 2016 Disco 4, the lack of any indicator advising of an active DPF burn is also to me an irritant.
It would be much better IMO, if I knew so that I could go "once more round the block" to let it complete its burn, than either realise when I stop or never twig it is underway.

Both vehicles give a "hint" in the fuel consumption rises, i.e. the MPG drops.

With the Golf the cooling fan runs, which is not normally activated, more or less how hard its pre shutdown run had been. Plus, with that going on, you can't miss the rising hot air as the driver's door is opened even if deaf.

With the Disco, you just have to take it either its "life style" looks after it, or it happens without a hint other than it is the cause of the poorer fuel consumptions that I sometime note.

Neither vehicle from new, so in 8.5 & 5 years, has ever, flagged up a DPF warning light. But for most short runs I use an "e" or "push bike mostly, not either car.
like the VW my Skoda used to run its cooling fan which you could hear as you got to leave the car. I also felt a warning light would be handy to allow you to finish regeneration.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts