Visible floor seams ?

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I’m spending some time today getting my van ready for the start of the season, and am curious regarding what appears to be two visible seams in the floor, under the vinyl. The most noticeable one is in line with the centre of the fridge, and the other one is near the door.

I have noticed them before, since we decided to remove the central section of carpet. The seams are only visible during the day and when there is plenty of natural light coming in from the front window.

Here’s the one near the fridge ...

ins503.png

And here’s a picture of the two ...

16jf33r.png

My van is a 2017 Swift Siena 6 TD (Dealer special of a Sprite Major 6 TD), and is almost a year old.

On the seam near the fridge a slight level difference can be felt across the seam, although the floor is not spongy in any way, and so doesn’t appear to be any kind of delamination, but instead caused by movement the between boards within floor. I have looked underneath the van and there are no joins visible from the underside in those areas, as there appears to be a synthetic material covering the bottom.

Just wondering if this is normal ? - Am I looking for a problem that doesn’t exist ?

I would appreciate your views on this guys.

Thanks,

Ic.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Without being familiar with the floor construction of this particular caravan, its not possible for me to offer any definitive advice. But if you are concerned I suggest you contact your dealer. Even if its not a major issue now, you will have at least alerted them to it should it become a bigger problem later.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
They are where the sheets of plywood join.
The floor is made up of several sheets as there are no plywood sheets which could do the whole floor area in one piece.

If you measure the distance between them it should be around 4ft.

Looking underneath will do no good as the top layer of ply is separated by about 28mm of insulation and a second ply covering, and the waterproof membrane.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Damian ...

Just measured and yes - Visible seams are very slightly over 4 foot apart.

Can I safely assume then that this is quite Normal ?

Thanks,

Ic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts