Volvo Estates Axed last year

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If I remember correctly Roger Moore drove one in The Saint TV series? One of my colleagues had a cream one and it seemed he had it forever.

Our first Volvo was the 340 and I was so impressed with it that we traded it in for the 440 which we then traded in for a S80 manual which we then traded in for the S80 auto. The latter was the last Volvo that we bought as I think Volvo had been bought out by Ford?
I always thought that Ford taking over ownership of Volvo and JLR shook out many of the problems that beset the brands. Strange that VW ownership of Audi is looked at as more acceptable than Ford ownership of brands. Our three Mondeos, two estates and a Ghia hatchback were all excellent cars to drive, and trouble free.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The MB and BMW were very popular as estates. When the MB estate came to the end of its life as a passenger vehicle, many were converted into pickups and carried on being used for many years afterwards.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I always thought that Ford taking over ownership of Volvo and JLR shook out many of the problems that beset the brands. Strange that VW ownership of Audi is looked at as more acceptable than Ford ownership of brands. Our three Mondeos, two estates and a Ghia hatchback were all excellent cars to drive, and trouble free.
Ford's ownership of JLR and Volvo was generally beneficial for both but their disposal was a fire sale because the US arm was in deep financial trouble.

It seems to be generally accepted that VW's ownership of so many diverse brands is unique in it's success but retaining the individual character of each brand while still getting the economies of scale by component sharing - basically by designing for the highest brand and then reducing the cost by huge volume across most of their brands - unlike GM who seem to do it the other way round.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When Ford took over that is when Volvo went downhill. Ford brought many of Ford's problems into the manufacture of Volvo cars namely the awful auto Powershift gearbox.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
From memory the V50 shared the same platform as the Focus estate? The V50 wasn't a bad car as such, it just wasn't particularly remarkable either!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Possibly its in the name, as I see offerings for two wheel drive pseudo SUVs, which might well have been called estates in earlier times?
The only difference is they may not have a clone saloon, but be a stand alone vehicle, as say the Yeti in its 2 wheel drive guise.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When Ford took over that is when Volvo went downhill. Ford brought many of Ford's problems into the manufacture of Volvo cars namely the awful auto Powershift gearbox.
If you had a 2004 S80 it was the first generation model introduced in 1998, before Ford bought Volvo in 1999. The second generation S80 came out in 2006 and shared powertrain options with other Ford vehicles. Generation 1 had either a GM or Aisin automatic gearbox, and Powershift wasn’t introduced until generation 2 in 2006.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If you had a 2004 S80 it was the first generation model introduced in 1998, before Ford bought Volvo in 1999. The second generation S80 came out in 2006 and shared powertrain options with other Ford vehicles. Generation 1 had either a GM or Aisin automatic gearbox, and Powershift wasn’t introduced until generation 2 in 2006.
The Aisin gearboxes fitted to Volvos, known as Geartronic, are generally regarded as bullet-proof - GM itself uses a lot of Aisin gearboxes.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You may be correct, but our 2004 had the same issues as the Ford Powershift box and we had a 2019 Mondeo. On more than one occasion it had to be uplifted by recovery due to issues with gear box. The other issue is that within the 18 months the car had to have a totally new rear suspension. At that point I don't think the car had even covered 5k and noen was for towing. Our 1998 S80 manual was a very nice car to drive and we later regretted trading it in. Took a hit and traded it in for a 1998 Toyota 4x4 Surf vehicle.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You may be correct, but our 2004 had the same issues as the Ford Powershift box and we had a 2019 Mondeo. On more than one occasion it had to be uplifted by recovery due to issues with gear box. The other issue is that within the 18 months the car had to have a totally new rear suspension. At that point I don't think the car had even covered 5k and noen was for towing. Our 1998 S80 manual was a very nice car to drive and we later regretted trading it in. Took a hit and traded it in for a 1998 Toyota 4x4 Surf vehicle.
Ford weren’t alone in having problems with the dual clutch type transmissions. VW group also suffered bad press with the DSG gearboxes, particularly the dry clutch ones, but eventually ironed out the problems and they are now well regarded.

Reactions: RogerL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ford weren’t alone in having problems with the dual clutch type transmissions. VW group also suffered bad press with the DSG gearboxes, particularly the dry clutch ones, but eventually ironed out the problems and they are now well regarded.
I’ve never driven a DSG . Is it very different to the traditional TC 8 speed boxes like mr VW Touareg? The Touareg is one of the best I’ve ever had

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve never driven a DSG . Is it very different to the traditional TC 8 speed boxes like mr VW Touareg? The Touareg is one of the best I’ve ever had
My Superb had a DSG auto and was excellent, but like other twin clutch boxes I was conscious of the fact it is clutch operated. So when towing I would not creep in traffic or going uphill. Conventional auto boxes allow such actions. Also like my KIA DCT slow manoeuvres such as exiting a parking spot or parallel parking are not as smooth as a conventional auto, or a manual where you can slip the clutch and balance on handbrake, assuming it’s not electrical. But can’t fault them for driving or economy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That confirms my experience of test driving an Audi A6 All Terrain, a great car but not quite as good as the Touareg box

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the Audi Allroad was auto then it probably had the Tiptronic gearbox which is a dual clutch unit. There are reports that it suffered(s) hesitancy approaching roundabouts.
That was the problem with the Volvo and Ford gearboxes. Could be quite frightening at the time of ti happening.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well it must be iron out now i own a new Ford Tourneo Connect diesel automatic and this seven speed double - clutch is great with no problems.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The A6 uses DSG 8 speed with paddles
The Touareg has the Aisin 8 speed , fluid torque converter and ,yes, it has paddles. Once warmed up and on the move the TC fully locks up so no slippage

Reactions: JTQ

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The A6 uses DSG 8 speed with paddles
The Touareg has the Aisin 8 speed , fluid torque converter and ,yes, it has paddles. Once warmed up and on the move the TC fully locks up so no slippage
Poles apart technologies, one depends on mechanical friction for both slippage and locked drives, the other hydrokinetics of the oil for slippage drive, and physical mechanical locking for the locked drive.

Differing solutions for near similar tasks, but nonetheless achieved using very different technologies, with their own pros and cons. Plus different outcomes in both cases between makers and generations.

For my needs I favour the hydrokinetic solution for my towing but happy enough for the friction option in a solo use domestic car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I thought that both shared the same box?
The Audi A6 range uses either a DCT or a conventional automatic, depending on a complex combination of model, engine and drive line - if it's S-tronic, it's a DCT but if it's Tiptronic it's conventional.

Tiptronic is often used as a generalisation but technically it never applies to a DCT

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Audi A6 range uses either a DCT or a conventional automatic, depending on a complex combination of model, engine and drive line - if it's S-tronic, it's a DCT but if it's Tiptronic it's conventional.

Tiptronic is often used as a generalisation but technically it never applies to a DCT
Thank for that clarification wrt Tiptronic, DSG and S-Tronic.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
And the Subaru Outback itself is half-way between a conventional estate / wagon and a 4WD SUV, one of the original cross-overs - for some markets the Subaru Legacy* estate is available, same bodyshell as the Outback but with less ground clearance.

* called the Liberty in Australia (and New Zealand?) as Legacy is a veterans association.
Was Legacy in NZ, they've not sold new anymore as everybody needs Outback and Forester extra ground clearance to drop kids off at school and do shopping.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts