Volvo S60

Sep 4, 2006
Visit site
We are contemplating buying our first caravan in the next few months but are not sure if our car is really appropriate. We have a Volvo S60 D5 (163bhp). I'm sure the power output is OK but are there other considerations beyond the maximum tow weight? We can afford the caravan but not a new car + caravan! Any opinions would be most welcome.

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike,

I imagine the S60 will make a fine tow car. I use an 850 T5 which tows my pageant bordeaux very well, albeit at a fuel cost! The S60, I believe, weighs more than the 850 and has a maximun tow of 1800kg. So, if you bear in mind the 85% rule (and it is only a rule)you have quite a variety of vans you could go for. Best of luck

Gary

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Mike, a friend of mine has had two S60s, both D5s, and tows a 'van I'd guess is about 1300kilos max. The Volvo pulls no problem and is solid on the road. Although the tow limit is higher I would probably tow no more than 1500kilos with a D5, and I'd expect no problems.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

You will have no problem with the D5 engine it is 1 of the best diesel engine on the market for torque performance etc.

I have a V70 D5 AWD towing a twin axle Bailey Senator with no problems at all.

Good Luck & happy caravanning. I used to tow the same van with the V70 2.4 Petrol but this is far better

G

Volvo's make great tow cars, however you may wish to look at fitting the selflevelling rear shockers (Nivomats). They are expensive but make all the difference for towing as the back end will not sag like a duck's a.... They are fitted a standard to estates but not saloons.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts