Volvo S60

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi all!,

I'm maybe looking to buy a Volvo S60 2011 either 1.6 Drive (stop-start) or a straight 2 litre, to tow our Bailey Ranger 440. My questions are: is there a difference in retro towbar fitting costings?, which car is the best to own and tow?, what are the towing mileages?. Many thank's for any reply's.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dewy,

You may need to refine your questions:-

dewy said:
is there a difference in retro towbar fitting costings?,

Yes - you need to contact the fitting services for quotes

dewy said:
which car is the best to own
That will be a personal opinion, and only you can answer that when you consider things like the MPG, Insurance, Comfort, performance etc.

dewy said:
which car is the best tow?,
That will depend on what you want to tow. You should always select the smallest trailer that meets your needs and falls within the cars technical and legal limits. You should also bear in mind the industry's guidelines on towing ratios.

dewy said:
what are the towing mileages?.
Don't understand this part of your question, are you referring to how far you can tow with it? or something else

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for you reply ;) ,

I've looked into a bit and changed the idea of have Volvo S60 1.6 to 2ltr. But I am wishing to hear from owner's of the reliability of it?.

I also wishing hear from owner's regarding the use of automatic handbrake release when using the accelerator with a caravan on a hill start?.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've got a V60 D5 Geartronic. The electronic handbrake release is a breeze on both the manual and auto boxes.

My two previous V70s were manual. You stop and apply the brake as usual and when you want to pull off: into gear, up the revs and pull off. The brake releases itself.

With the auto box in Drive you just depress the accelerator and away you go. The car and 'van will hold on an incline without the handbrake applied if it's in Drive.

I don't know either of the engines but I would think that the 1.6 may struggle.

Volvo don't make towbars, They fit someone else's such as Witter, Thule, etc and some dealers send them off to be fitted and then add on their cut. I've had all of my towbars fitted by independent companies. My current one was fitted by a mobile guy from Bristol. All have been around 50% less than the Volvo dealer's quotes ( £350 as opposed to £700 ) and as long as you go to a reputable company there should be no problem with the elecrtics. Ask first and tell them that you will not hand any money over until they've displayed that everything is working correctly. That's what I always do and have never had a problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts