Volvo Tow Bars

Nov 10, 2007
Visit site
I drive a Volvo XC 70 with a Volvo detachable tow bar fitted. The caravan dealer has informed me that the height to the centre of the ball is too high. When the car is empty and on level ground, the distance to the centre of the ball is 19". The dealer informed me that the height to the centre of the ball should be between 16-1/2" and 17". Due to the height of the ball on my car the van is raised at the nose when towing. Has anyone come upon this problem before and also does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a swan neck detachable tow ball with a height 16-1/2" to 17"

We tow a 2005 Bessacarr Cameo 495SL and are experiencing problems with the van in that when driving over rough roads the van really thumps down on the suspension which in turn is transmitted to the car.A new axle and shock absorbers was fitted last year, the problem is still there.

Regards

Russell

G

Volvo do supply 2 types of detacheable tow bars with different ball heights. However, these are designed to fit cars with either self levelling suspension, or not, whatever the case may be. As the XC70 has increased body height I would have assumed that Volvo would have a special bracket for that vehicle to take into account this greater height. It sounds almost as if they have fitted a bar suited for the V70 by mistake, but I cannot really believe Volvo would do that themselves. I suggest take the car to a Volvo dealer and ask for it to be checked out.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
When the car is laden, the height should be between 13.75" and 16.5". It could well be higher when the car is empty but there is no specification for the height in the unladen condition. The tolerance of only

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I also drive an XC70 with a Volvo detachable tow bar. I've just gone and measured it and the height to the centre of the ball is 17". Sounds as though something is not quite right with your setup.

I agree with Ann's comment - take it back to the dealer.

Nov 10, 2007
Visit site
When the car is laden, the height should be between 13.75" and 16.5". It could well be higher when the car is empty but there is no specification for the height in the unladen condition. The tolerance of only

Nov 10, 2007
Visit site
Scotch Lad

Yes you were right they had fitted the wrong type of towbar, this was confimred todat by the local dealer.

Thanks for your input

Russell

Nov 10, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks to you all for the feedback, I have since found out that the Volvo dealer fitted the wrong type of tow bar.

Thanks again

Russell

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts