Volvo V90

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am considering upgrading my V70 D3, and going for a V90 D4. The reasons are, I am more than happy it’s the V70 in nearly all respects, jus a couple of small niggles. So would hope that the V90 is only going to be an improvement. It certainly is in apperance.

I have read lots of very good reviews, but they can’t always be trusted. I have also heard that it has a poor recall record. I looked this up by manufacturer (not model) and found:

Japanese automaker Toyota issued the most recalls (3.9 million), well ahead of Ford (2.9 million), and Volvo (2.8 million). Behind the top three and in descending order were Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (1.7 million), Honda (1.4 million), Kia (244,000), Hyundai (207,000), Nissan (49,220), Mazda (24,000) and Volkswagen (16,098).”

Not sure if that is much help as it’s just total numbers of recalls and not as a percentage of production which would be more useful. Also, it begs the question, do more diligent manufacturers issues more recalls.

eg. My car, at 7 years old, is just going through a recall for a seatbelt pretensioner. The new one had to be manufactured and is further delayed by Covid affecting imports. Dealer could not see anything wrong but has fitted one off a different model while we wait. So I have no issues with Volvo or the dealer on the handling of the problem.

Does anyone have any experience of the V90.

One I am looking at at the moment has the factory fit, electrically deployed tow bar. Which would be nice.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am considering upgrading my V70 D3, and going for a V90 D4. The reasons are, I am more than happy it’s the V70 in nearly all respects, jus a couple of small niggles. So would hope that the V90 is only going to be an improvement. It certainly is in apperance.

I have read lots of very good reviews, but they can’t always be trusted. I have also heard that it has a poor recall record. I looked this up by manufacturer (not model) and found:

Japanese automaker Toyota issued the most recalls (3.9 million), well ahead of Ford (2.9 million), and Volvo (2.8 million). Behind the top three and in descending order were Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (1.7 million), Honda (1.4 million), Kia (244,000), Hyundai (207,000), Nissan (49,220), Mazda (24,000) and Volkswagen (16,098).”

Not sure if that is much help as it’s just total numbers of recalls and not as a percentage of production which would be more useful. Also, it begs the question, do more diligent manufacturers issues more recalls.

eg. My car, at 7 years old, is just going through a recall for a seatbelt pretensioner. The new one had to be manufactured and is further delayed by Covid affecting imports. Dealer could not see anything wrong but has fitted one off a different model while we wait. So I have no issues with Volvo or the dealer on the handling of the problem.

Does anyone have any experience of the V90.

One I am looking at at the moment has the factory fit, electrically deployed tow bar. Which would be nice.

John
Recalls can be a sign that’s the maker takes safety or reliability seriously. You can have a large number of recalls for just one problem. IE the seat belt cartridge that affected millions of cars. Where there could be a problem is if a model has a number of different ones. But a new car would have them incorporated and a used would be brought in line by presenting at a main dealer.

PS My XC 70 2010 had a number of recalls relating to the tendency to increase its sump level with fuel in the three years I owned it. My Nissan Note 2007 had two in 13 years one of which was the seatbelt cartridge that affected a number of marques.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have never own a volvo so i have no experience of one my father use to say check the service history has it all been stamped up also has it been well cared for and no finance on it .
I hope this V90 is everything you want and more it sounds like it with a electrically deployed towbar . there should be someone on this forum who has owned one .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My thoughts also. But most often more recalls are quoted in a negative way suggesting poor build or design.

John
A few years back Toyota got bad press over a safety issue and how they dealt with it. After sorting the problem out they introduced the 5 year warranty and have been painstaking in their management of future problems. Some might say “ over cautious” but to my mind responsible.

Bear in mind not all recalls/ modifications are dealt with by DVSA registration. Some can be letters to the owner, some introduced by technical bulletin when in for service. It all depends on what the technical problem is.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its also worth noting that some recalls may not be the car manufactures fault.

Sometimes a subassembly supplier may have problem that affects many different car assemblers, One that comes to mind has been an Air Bag issue. And from my own experience when a gas valve manufacture changed a material specification which could compromise the Flame Failure Device, and it affected at least three major or gas appliance manufacture's, and a smaller number of catering van converters.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We looked at the Volvo V90 a couple of years ago . Nice car, but no spare wheel put us off. Also did not like the auto box in the car, but obviously improved in the past couple of years.
I also seem to recall that there was an issue with some models where the nose weight was limited to 90kg. Very comfortable cars.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We looked at the Volvo V90 a couple of years ago . Nice car, but no spare wheel put us off. Also did not like the auto box in the car, but obviously improved in the past couple of years.
I also seem to recall that there was an issue with some models where the nose weight was limited to 90kg. Very comfortable cars.
My XC70 Gen 3 had a space saver spare wheel that was 2 inches less in overall diameter than the main wheels. Looked quite odd when fitted to the front nearside. Yet my later Skoda Superb had a full size spare.
The seats were comfortable and very well padded but with the raised height of the car it tended to wallowing on bendy roads and the seats lacked lateral support. The V models were better given their normal ride height. But both my wife and I much preferred the Superb estate.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Not bothered about a spare anymore. Use them so very occasionally and if I had an issue the recovery people would have to deal with it.

I would be interested in what you did not like about the auto box. My V70 has an Asian 6 speed. And it’s really excellent both solo and towing. The V9O now have an Asian 8 speed. I will have to investigate that some more.

90kg is what we have now and that’s fine for us. But it’s now 110kg. For the V90. I can see why it may not suit your needs.

John

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not bothered about a spare anymore. Use them so very occasionally and if I had an issue the recovery people would have to deal with it.

I would be interested in what you did not like about the auto box. My V70 has an Asian 6 speed. And it’s really excellent both solo and towing. The V9O now have an Asian 8 speed. I will have to investigate that some more.

90kg is what we have now and that’s fine for us. But it’s now 110kg. For the V90. I can see why it may not suit your needs.

John
The XC 70 had the six speed Aisin gearbox which was excellent and Aisin have a good reputation, and are “ conventional “ auto boxes not dual clutch types.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I wouldn't ever change a wheel at the roadside these days-drivers just seem oblivious-many are on their phones or watching tv-yes really -so a spare wheel seems irrelevant. Henestly don't risk your life.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

John

The issue on our S80 was that due to the adaptive technology on occasions the vehicle would hesitate in selecting the correct gear which could be a concern. As said this was many years ago and no doubt they have improved since.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My brother in law got a XC 60 I like his car because it at the right height for me but you have V70 and you know what the gear box is like and had no problem take the V90 out for a test drive it your choice

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My brother in law got a XC 60 I like his car because it at the right height for me but you have V70 and you know what the gear box is like and had no problem take the V90 out for a test drive it your choice

Just moved to tier 4 so don’t know how that would work. But no rush.

I am having difficulty finding good honest reviews for towing. Every time I think I find one it turns out to be the AWD or air suspension models. (Too expensive).

I have found that Volvo made a miss match with the electric tow bar and the auto air suspension. In that the tow ball height was illegal. I have read one report of someone who got a full refund. I think that Volvo tried to hush up the problem. So far as I know, this didn’t affect standard cars.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Full refund on car or towbar? Not much use the latter if the car was intended for towing. Although I’m sure that with Volvos being a known Towcar the company would have resolved the issue. Probably done a software mod just like they did with 2.4 D5 engine by reducing the quantity of oil in the sump and the management system then thought a reduced sump level was a full level. Clever stuff. ☹

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Full refund on car or towbar? Not much use the latter if the car was intended for towing. Although I’m sure that with Volvos being a known Towcar the company would have resolved the issue. Probably done a software mod just like they did with 2.4 D5 engine by reducing the quantity of oil in the sump and the management system then thought a reduced sump level was a full level. Clever stuff. ☹

On the whole car. I will try to find the link. It was an early one, 2016 if I remember.

John

Edit

Here is the link. If you can’t see it without a password let me know.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On the whole car. I will try to find the link. It was an early one, 2016 if I remember.

John

Edit

Here is the link. If you can’t see it without a password let me know.

Thank you an interesting read and I can only wonder what Volvo have done if anything about the other V90s with that equipment outfit. The poster is fortunate that his vehicle was “factory fitted” with the towbar system otherwise his case may have been so much more difficult.
In some respects it reminds me of Volvos response when I bought a 245 GLE estate but in those days (1986) there was no internet to elicit information and no real consumer protection. I got so frustrated that I sold it cash to a dealer and went of and bought a Citroen BX estate ....... absolute bliss 😀

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just moved to tier 4 so don’t know how that would work. But no rush.

I am having difficulty finding good honest reviews for towing. Every time I think I find one it turns out to be the AWD or air suspension models. (Too expensive).

I have found that Volvo made a miss match with the electric tow bar and the auto air suspension. In that the tow ball height was illegal. I have read one report of someone who got a full refund. I think that Volvo tried to hush up the problem. So far as I know, this didn’t affect standard cars.

John
Hi Jcloughie sorry hear that you have moved in tier 4 good job you are are not in a rush to see it . look at our post code we are still in tier 3

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Volvo V90 instantly caught my eye when first announced but it was way out of my motoring budget and I became resigned to waiting for a pre-owned one becoming available at affordable money but it never materialised so I stayed with my then 1997 V70 T5 CD Auto and ran it until 240,000 miles and then sold it on to a chap in North East Lancashire and time moved on.

Several years ago I bid farewell to my last Volvo V70 (I had owned 7 in succession) and never regretted one of them.
Selling the last one - a 2004 D5 SE Geartronic was a big mistake with only circa 118,000 miles on the clock and has since travelled around Europe and is still munching up the miles.

All but one had been used for towing one or other of my twin axle caravans.
A pre-owned V90 Automatic was my next intended purchase but ill-health put paid to my caravanning days and I settled for a rather tidy BMW 330i Touring Auto that will probably see me out at 75 years young for a few years of motoring subject of course to retaining my entitlement for driving.IMAG0154.jpg
IMAG0154.jpg

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm still probably going to get a V90 when things return to normal (no point buying a new car now only to have it sat there)

Its one of the few estates that have all the 'toys' that i can't live without these days!

Peugeot 508SW has most of them, but is a bit too light for my liking

BWT

Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
Hi Folks
I hope this is not too late for anyone considering a V90 i have a 2020 D5 R Design Pro+ so it has all the bells and whistle it is a great car on the road solo my only complaint is road noise.
Now for the bad bits it tows the van with issue oddles of power gets down the road very well. There is however an issue with the rear suspension (not air self levelling)when the caravan is on the back it drops by about 2 inches this has the effect of lifting the nose and causing stability issues.
Now before any one says its the nose weight no it not the car has a limit of 110kg the van is at 100kg.
Would i recommend the Volvo as a tow car no chance as drivers car yes take my advice and think about another vehicle if you want it to tow with.

Regards

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't ever change a wheel at the roadside these days-drivers just seem oblivious-many are on their phones or watching tv-yes really -so a spare wheel seems irrelevant. Henestly don't risk your life.
I take your point although the safety point does depend on location. I would still like to have the spare so that even if I call out the breakdown insurance they still have a wheel to change. Without it they may need to bring one to you and charge the earth for it.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Folks
I hope this is not too late for anyone considering a V90 i have a 2020 D5 R Design Pro+ so it has all the bells and whistle it is a great car on the road solo my only complaint is road noise.
Now for the bad bits it tows the van with issue oddles of power gets down the road very well. There is however an issue with the rear suspension (not air self levelling)when the caravan is on the back it drops by about 2 inches this has the effect of lifting the nose and causing stability issues.
Now before any one says its the nose weight no it not the car has a limit of 110kg the van is at 100kg.
Would i recommend the Volvo as a tow car no chance as drivers car yes take my advice and think about another vehicle if you want it to tow with.

Regards

If the caravans nose load is causing yo to loose steering stability you do have far to much nose load. It could also be the yaw inertia in the caravan which is reacting with teh car, but either points to a loading issue in the caravan.

Look up the guides about safe loading and how to position items to set a satisfactory nose load.

Where have you got the caravans nose load from? How do you know its 100kg?

If you are quoting from the caravans specification then you have miss understood what and how nose load actually is, and how it changes depending on how you load the caravan.

You can only know what your nose load is by measuring it. Use a set of bathroom scales supported on a few magazines on top of the caravan step to raise the scales to the same height as when the cavan is hitched to the car.

The caravan chassis manufacture has to set the upper limit for the nose load, (S value limit) and most caravans do have a 100kg limit.

You must keep the nose load under the limit for the S value and the limit for the tow ball on the tow vehicle,. However the industry suggests caravanners should try to achieve a nose load of between 5 and 7% of the caravan's MTPLM, without exceeding either of he limits for the car or caravan nose load limits.

I should also point out that you will need driving licence entitlement BE on your lice to tow this combination.

BWT

Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
If the caravans nose load is causing yo to loose steering stability you do have far to much nose load. It could also be the yaw inertia in the caravan which is reacting with teh car, but either points to a loading issue in the caravan.

Look up the guides about safe loading and how to position items to set a satisfactory nose load.

Where have you got the caravans nose load from? How do you know its 100kg?

If you are quoting from the caravans specification then you have miss understood what and how nose load actually is, and how it changes depending on how you load the caravan.

You can only know what your nose load is by measuring it. Use a set of bathroom scales supported on a few magazines on top of the caravan step to raise the scales to the same height as when the cavan is hitched to the car.

The caravan chassis manufacture has to set the upper limit for the nose load, (S value limit) and most caravans do have a 100kg limit.

You must keep the nose load under the limit for the S value and the limit for the tow ball on the tow vehicle,. However the industry suggests caravanners should try to achieve a nose load of between 5 and 7% of the caravan's MTPLM, without exceeding either of he limits for the car or caravan nose load limits.

I should also point out that you will need driving licence entitlement BE on your lice to tow this combination.

BWT

Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
Prof JohnL
Have towed for m30+ years so not some wet behind the lugs rookie
The figures i have given are factual figures obtained using Milenco noseweight gauge calibration checked!!
The cars suspension is jut not man enough for the job it use a transverse leaf spring last time i saw one of these was on a Triumph Herald 50/55 years ago
My licence is correct.
I repaet the car is great solo but forget it as a towcar

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts