Volvo XC60 - petrol experience

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at 2009 - 2014 T5 2 ltr petrol XC60s.
Can anyone please give info about fuel economy when towing. Would also be interested in views of towing performance.
Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking at 2009 - 2014 T5 2 ltr petrol XC60s.
Can anyone please give info about fuel economy when towing. Would also be interested in views of towing performance.
Thanks
If it is anything like my SJ Forester XT 238 bhp 2.0 litre petrol auto it dropped from mid 30s on a long solo drive to just about 20 mpg towing 1300 kg. My previous SJ Forester with 2.0 litre 150 bhp non turbo auto was hardly any better towing.

I’d expect the XC60 petrol to be a good towcar as is its diesel counterpart albeit much thirstier on fuel.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Now this may sound an odd question, but why do you want petrol? If you are thinking about emissions, the diesel equivalent will probably be doing about the same emissions it did when new, whereas a petrol engine will have significantly degraded by that age.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I have a Volvo V90 petrol, I switched from a V90 diesel. Mine is a mild hybrid with the 2.0 190bhp petrol engine, I get 24mpg towing a 1500kg caravan. Despite what some think you don’t NEED a diesel for towing but it’s down to personal preference at the end of the day. You’ll get more MPG from a diesel but you’ll pay more per litre at the pump.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the Forrester info - that's what I feared but I wonder whether petrol Volvos are as thirsty.....
Regarding petrol v diesel, emissions are not relevant as my son lives in New Zealand where they don't seem to care about stuff like that. I sense that he instinctively favours petrol, but I'm not sure why. A 10 year old car in NZ is classified as "almost new" (!!), but I'm advising that a diesel engine will probably have a longer life that petrol. Maybe.
He's looking at cars with 50,000 to 90,000 miles on the clock. He loves my (much newer) XC60 and is keen to get the same.
Towing performance is important as well as fuel consumption because they tow a lot, often on gravel roads and sometimes rough ground.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the Forrester info - that's what I feared but I wonder whether petrol Volvos are as thirsty.....
Regarding petrol v diesel, emissions are not relevant as my son lives in New Zealand where they don't seem to care about stuff like that. I sense that he instinctively favours petrol, but I'm not sure why. A 10 year old car in NZ is classified as "almost new" (!!), but I'm advising that a diesel engine will probably have a longer life that petrol. Maybe.
He's looking at cars with 50,000 to 90,000 miles on the clock. He loves my (much newer) XC60 and is keen to get the same.
Towing performance is important as well as fuel consumption because they tow a lot, often on gravel roads and sometimes rough ground.
Petrol engined cars can make good tow cars, especially those with turbos. I’ve had Saab 9000 CSE 2.3, two SJ Foresters of which the non turbo was rev hungry, whereas the more powerful XTCwas a delight to tow with. The only problem with our petrol towcars was a big reduction in mpg compared to diesel. But it was a conscious decision of mine to move to petrol from diesel.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Now this may sound an odd question, but why do you want petrol? If you are thinking about emissions, the diesel equivalent will probably be doing about the same emissions it did when new, whereas a petrol engine will have significantly degraded by that age.
It may be to get a ULEZ-compliant vehicle - diesels have to be 2015-onwards but the OP is looking older than that - presumably a matter of budget.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Regardless of the type of fuel the normal fuel economy of every vehicle will always be worse when towing, simply becasue your moving more mass, and in the case of caravans the aerodynamics will produce more drag when towing.

For broadly equivalent diesel and petrol engines, diesels tended to produce 15 to 20% better fuel economy, but since about 2010 the efficiency of petrol engines have improved and for solo vehicles they can almost match the diesel versions. This has been achieved by vehicle weight reductions and reducing the size of the engine and adding turbocharging, But when it comes to towing these smaller petrol engines are being worked even harder taking beyond their most efferent operating conditions.

You mention gravel roads. That is going to increase the rolling resistance and fuel consumption. It put the engine under greater strain. Given your reference to "a lot of towing" I think a diesel would be a better option than petrol at this stage.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Regardless of the type of fuel the normal fuel economy of every vehicle will always be worse when towing, simply becasue your moving more mass, and in the case of caravans the aerodynamics will produce more drag when towing.

For broadly equivalent diesel and petrol engines, diesels tended to produce 15 to 20% better fuel economy, but since about 2010 the efficiency of petrol engines have improved and for solo vehicles they can almost match the diesel versions. This has been achieved by vehicle weight reductions and reducing the size of the engine and adding turbocharging, But when it comes to towing these smaller petrol engines are being worked even harder taking beyond their most efferent operating conditions.

You mention gravel roads. That is going to increase the rolling resistance and fuel consumption. It put the engine under greater strain. Given your reference to "a lot of towing" I think a diesel would be a better option than petrol at this stage.
The car in question is the T5 XC60 a 2.0 litre turbo 237 bhp and 236 ftilbs of torque. Virtually the same power and torque as my Forester XT with a CVT auto box although being a flat four boxer engine the Subaru would probably be a bit less efficient in mpg.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone for all the interesting comments - that has all given us good food for thought.
It's interesting that we have had no responses from owners of petrol engines XC60s of that age - it just shows that the petrol version was not a popular towcar. Food for thought!
My own 2017 diesel XC60 is an amazing towcar and we love it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thank you everyone for all the interesting comments - that has all given us good food for thought.
It's interesting that we have had no responses from owners of petrol engines XC60s of that age - it just shows that the petrol version was not a popular towcar. Food for thought!
Until relatively recently, a turbo-diesel was the no-brainer choice for a tow vehicle as well as lower emissions in the form of CO2 so it should be no surprise that few petrol cars were bought before 2014 for towing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At the years of the car being looked at very few petrol cars were being sold apart perhaps from smaller cars. Diesel was king because of mpg and its lower CO2 emissions were lauded. So it’s not that the petrol versions weren’t suitable as tow cars it’s just that fir that category of car diesel was the mainstream option for solo usage irrespective of any towing duties.

My two turbo petrol tow cars were two of the best cars I’ve owned. But fuel consumption for towing and solo were much worse than two equivalent diesels I owned…… Superb 4x4 DSG estate and XC70 D5. But outright economy wasn’t a prime requirement me.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Diesel is cheaper per litre than petrol in NZ ! The complete opposite to UK. As the vehicle usage and terrain in NZ is so different to here I am persuaded diesel will best suit the OP son

Reactions: Buckman

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Cheaper at the pump but you also have to pay a Road User Charge for diesel not petrol. You buy the RUC in blocks of 1000km you travel.

I think about NZ$76 per 1000k for a car.

Not sure how the two fuels compare but would guess diesel is still a better option.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Cheaper at the pump but you also have to pay a Road User Charge for diesel not petrol. You buy the RUC in blocks of 1000km you travel.

Not sure how the two fuels compare but would guess diesel is still a better option.
I thought the RUC only applied to fuels not taxed at source? Presumably diesel and petrol are treated the same ? If not then I agree another factor for consideration

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site

As rule service costs are higher for diesel.

When comes to +10 year old tow cars hard to bet the likes of Santa Fe, Highlander, CX5, Sportage for reliability and lower repair costs which will be issue at this age.

See Redriven Youtube for review.
View: https://youtu.be/CP2OxnKVoMk?si=0-eljCijIqhfJhhC

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts