VW car satnav has anyone had any problems ?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The answer in VW terms is no - I think the unit is of Bosch origin.

A tip for BB and any other readers that also have VW Discover Media. I tend to use DAB mostly but often notice that even if TP is turned on it often does not (always) play travel news. It took me a while to find that if you are using DAB it seems to help the delivery of TP if the FM band is on a BBC national station. Certainly AFAIK TP does not come through DAB but rather the radio uses EON to change to the whatever station on FM is flagging TP.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The answer in VW terms is no - I think the unit is of Bosch origin.

A tip for BB and any other readers that also have VW Discover Media. I tend to use DAB mostly but often notice that even if TP is turned on it often does not (always) play travel news. It took me a while to find that if you are using DAB it seems to help the delivery of TP if the FM band is on a BBC national station. Certainly AFAIK TP does not come through DAB but rather the radio uses EON to change to the whatever station on FM is flagging TP.
Thanks for the information(y)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Tried the car satnav yesterday for some unknown reason wanted me to go off the A1 just after Newcastle ignored it and it corrected itself and we made great time getting home

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Tried the car satnav yesterday for some unknown reason wanted me to go off the A1 just after Newcastle ignored it and it corrected itself and we made great time getting home
It seems as if the satnav is either trying to route you around a trafffic delay, or it’s found a quicker /shorter route. It doesn’t look as if there’s anything wrong, but at four years old an update would be useful. My Garmin has four updates a year, and the new Kia has two per year. The latter is done via my MAC onto a 64gb usb stick that just plugs into the cars usb socket and it then takes care of itself whilst updating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beachball
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The SatNav in my 2014 Santa Fe, I believe is powered by NavTeq, and although I update it, at times going down a motor way or dual carriageway, if the traffic is going slow, it will request me to come of at a junction , go round the junction and back on again. I have " ignore diversions" switched on. It is a querk of the system.

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The SatNav in my 2014 Santa Fe, I believe is powered by NavTeq, and although I update it, at times going down a motor way or dual carriageway, if the traffic is going slow, it will request me to come of at a junction , go round the junction and back on again. I have " ignore diversions" switched on. It is a querk of the system.
They also treat a country lane with the national speed limit the same as a wide A road. If the lane route is even a bit shorter than the main A road that’s the way it will send you. They are an aid that’s all.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We left yesterday at 08.30am but the traffic was light and it wanted me to go around it but i ignored and carried on the A1 (y)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It seems as if the satnav is either trying to route you around a trafffic delay, or it’s found a quicker /shorter route. It doesn’t look as if there’s anything wrong, but at four years old an update would be useful. My Garmin has four updates a year, and the new Kia has two per year. The latter is done via my MAC onto a 64gb usb stick that just plugs into the cars usb socket and it then takes care of itself whilst updating.
Hi Clive i think it trying to get me go on the A19 but i preferred the other way and it was quicker

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
More for BB.
I updated my Discover Media last year and then forgot how to do the update this year!
The VW instructions tell you to download the 7Z file and decompress it to either a HDD file or to a SD card. It is 15.2GB and takes a bit over an hour (on a reason able speed PC), then put the card in the DM unit. Result? No nav database found!
The secret is to download and decompress the update onto your hard disc. Then download (if you haven't already) Discovercare for Windows from the same VW site. Put you SD card into your machine, run Discovercare, type in the address of the decompress update file and set it going. It will take an hour or so to download the files and then perhaps another half hour to 'install' the files onto the SD card. When you have jumped through all those hoops the card will work in the DM in your car - and the contents of the card are 7.2GB which means it will fit on your original VW (16GB) SD card - a bit different from 15.2!!
Latest update (Nov 2022) is V16 for the whole of Europe.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
More for BB.
I updated my Discover Media last year and then forgot how to do the update this year!
The VW instructions tell you to download the 7Z file and decompress it to either a HDD file or to a SD card. It is 15.2GB and takes a bit over an hour (on a reason able speed PC), then put the card in the DM unit. Result? No nav database found!
The secret is to download and decompress the update onto your hard disc. Then download (if you haven't already) Discovercare for Windows from the same VW site. Put you SD card into your machine, run Discovercare, type in the address of the decompress update file and set it going. It will take an hour or so to download the files and then perhaps another half hour to 'install' the files onto the SD card. When you have jumped through all those hoops the card will work in the DM in your car - and the contents of the card are 7.2GB which means it will fit on your original VW (16GB) SD card - a bit different from 15.2!!
Latest update (Nov 2022) is V16 for the whole of Europe.
Not a particularly straightforward approach, my 2010 Volvo was much simpler by just inserting an update DVD into the boot mounted unit. But of course it wasn’t free. My Kia just requires a download via my MAC onto a 64gb usb stick. The instructions then tell me to take it to the car, start the engine and insert the stick. It then just takes over until after 5-10 minutes I’m told to switch off the engine and just go away whilst it finishes the installation which is satnav plus updates for the whole suite of infotainment system. Works a treat, and it’s free until 2029.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My Smartphone Tom-Tom Go and Sygic sat nav apps get updated very easily at home via wifi. Run the app - see if there's an update - update at your own risk. More than once they've added new features and new bugs at the same time.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not a particularly straightforward approach, my 2010 Volvo was much simpler by just inserting an update DVD into the boot mounted unit. But of course it wasn’t free. My Kia just requires a download via my MAC onto a 64gb usb stick. The instructions then tell me to take it to the car, start the engine and insert the stick. It then just takes over until after 5-10 minutes I’m told to switch off the engine and just go away whilst it finishes the installation which is satnav plus updates for the whole suite of infotainment system. Works a treat, and it’s free until 2029.

Volvo updated their thinking in about 2012. My 2013 MY is updated the same as your Kia. It is also free. They never send reminders or say when there are updates. I find it is tedious and a very slow process. Later cars, from 2016, had WiFi connectivity, so might be better.

My old TomTom was ever so simple in comparrison.

Apple maps or Google maps are the way forward, (in my opinion).

John

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Volvo updated their thinking in about 2012. My 2013 MY is updated the same as your Kia. It is also free. They never send reminders or say when there are updates. I find it is tedious and a very slow process. Later cars, from 2016, had WiFi connectivity, so might be better.

My old TomTom was ever so simple in comparrison.

Apple maps or Google maps are the way forward, (in my opinion).

John
The Kia is always connected to Kia Connect services and when I turn on the ignition it will tell me on the 10.25 in screen if an update is available. It’s a very straight forward system, that also has Apple Airplay and Google installed too.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The Kia is always connected to Kia Connect services and when I turn on the ignition it will tell me on the 10.25 in screen if an update is available. It’s a very straight forward system, that also has Apple Airplay and Google installed too.

How do the Kia maps compare to Apple or Google maps? have you tried? When I use Google on my phone I am impressed. Far better than the clunky Volvo effort.

2016 on Volvos may well inform when updates are available, like yours. As they have connectivity.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
How do the Kia maps compare to Apple or Google maps? have you tried? When I use Google on my phone I am impressed. Far better than the clunky Volvo effort.

2016 on Volvos may well inform when updates are available, like yours. As they have connectivity.

John
To be honest I’ve not found much difference in Kia, Apple or Google maps in the car. All have live traffic updates and Kia maps are supported by Google for about 8 years. With the recent big IOS release Apples maps are now much nearer to Google maps than they were. If anything the cars maps are more customisable, and respond better to voice commands. I’ve done a few long journeys but haven’t really required navigation support. But I did have Kia maps “live” and traffic updates so I could quickly be aware of possible hold ups, but not having set a route they would not have been as accurate as live traffic updates fir the routes
Where Apple and Google shine is for an integrated journey that involves driving, parking, train, walk then enter building etc. In some areas they will take you into and through the building to your destination, and even provide tourist guide information. But for driving between A to B it’s really down to a person’s preference.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
To be honest I’ve not found much difference in Kia, Apple or Google maps in the car. All have live traffic updates and Kia maps are supported by Google for about 8 years. With the recent big IOS release Apples maps are now much nearer to Google maps than they were. If anything the cars maps are more customisable, and respond better to voice commands. I’ve done a few long journeys but haven’t really required navigation support. But I did have Kia maps “live” and traffic updates so I could quickly be aware of possible hold ups, but not having set a route they would not have been as accurate as live traffic updates fir the routes
Where Apple and Google shine is for an integrated journey that involves driving, parking, train, walk then enter building etc. In some areas they will take you into and through the building to your destination, and even provide tourist guide information. But for driving between A to B it’s really down to a person’s preference.

I did not know that Kia had Google support. Without such big support, I can’t see how even large car companies can compete with a technology that is outside their sphere of reference.

I hope to get up to date when I get my Jag. But no hurry. I am looking at an XF.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts