VW Golf Estate 1.9 TDI

Sep 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi guys ! were new to the site and caravaning...We aim to pick up our first van sometime next year after mods to our garage to allow access. I digress already, the good lady loves a golf and I to quite fancy the VW 1.9 TDI estate (prob year 2000ish model) would anybody have any experience of such a beast ? I have already found two web sites that give different kerbside weights, but I think the 1500Kg kerbside, with a given towing weight of 1300Kg looks resonable....your comments are much appreciated.

Paul

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
A golf estate .............. if you get one make sure that it comes complete with factory optional extras of Flat cap, slippers and a pipe with plenty of old shag as this helps to sell it on to other 80yr olds and don't forget the non approved option of an electric chair to zap you awake while you drive it .............you'll need it!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't worry Paul - as you can see caravaning sadly has its "nutters" as do all walks of life.

Wait a while and some more sensible postings will appear when the adults get back from work.

Kanga's a bit boored with Cee Bee Bees.

Sorry I do not have any sensible input for you so will let others.

Sep 6, 2005
Visit site
oooh im shocked to the core...only been amember 5 mins and already im in floods of tears !!! :))

Thanks for the comment Clive.

Hey Kanga wanna go on my Yamaha R1 ? well ya cant !!

Sep 6, 2005
Visit site
WOW, i did realise this could be so much fun !! now what other bland as hell cars can I think of to raise some Oscar Wilde Rapier wit..... and what's this about a room? am I on the correct site ?? I may have to decamp to the enemy.....

Ok so forget about the estate bit...just read 'What Car's point of view...Engines clutches and gearboxs only lasting to 50K what the hells that all about....bog standard golf TDIs diesels any good then?

mmm them xtrails look nice....I feel a bank job coming on :)

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Paul,

We had a Golf 1.9 TDI with the 115bhp engine and six speed gearbox, and towed an Eriba caravan - about 850 kg

Solo it returned 50+ mpg, towing, we often achieved 40mpg - but remember that the Eriba is considerably more aerodynamic than the flatter fronted UK vans.

Generally well built, good seats, quiet. 60,000 miles in 3 years, the Turbo wastegate (a small valve) failed under warranty and the VW garage changed the whole Turbo system just to be sure. No other problems.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
WOW, i did realise this could be so much fun !! now what other bland as hell cars can I think of to raise some Oscar Wilde Rapier wit..... and what's this about a room? am I on the correct site ?? I may have to decamp to the enemy.....

Ok so forget about the estate bit...just read 'What Car's point of view...Engines clutches and gearboxs only lasting to 50K what the hells that all about....bog standard golf TDIs diesels any good then?

mmm them xtrails look nice....I feel a bank job coming on :)
Yeah Paul - get a 4x4 that really hacks the idiots off.

You will love it.

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
Yeah Paul get an xtrail, they are even duller to look at than a golf estate and it is a requirement to work in a bank to be able to own one as well, best get a grey one to match the suit

Sep 6, 2005
Visit site
It was Eastenders with the missus, or this site...im not sure now i made the right descision

The bank job comment was a little humour of the two smoking barrels kind....im just sooo ahead of my time....Jaguar xj40s now there a car.........until 2007 my friends when I may feel well enough to return

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
So Paul,

You want to spend your hard earned money on one of the cars with the best residual values, where they sell more quickly second-hand per model/make than nearly every other car and you want to buy a car with one of the best diesel engines on earth.

Eminently Sensible

Monkeys Mate

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts