VW PASAT 130 TDI

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

I am looking out for a new tow car and do fancy the passat 130 tdi around 53 or 04 plate . Has anybody got any experience towing with the above car either in the se form or the sport form also cant make my mind up if to go for the saloon or the estate all your views would be nice.

Will the back end on the saloon model drop to much with the van on the back my van is 1429 max weight but we would never be anywhere near that as there is only 2 of us and we travel light i would think we would never be any heavier than 1375 max.

CHEERS DAZKIM

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi Darren,

I ran a TDI 130sport saloon for 5 years + 130k and it was brilliant.

The sport has lowered, stiffer suspension and a bit moe torque (228 vs 210 lbs/ft) as well as a six speed `box which is a nicer, smoother and faster change than the old five speed.

It really was a pleasure to tow with, sixth being used anything above about 45mph, and gave about 30 to 32 mpg towing depending upon speed, terrain and air-con useage (knocks a couple of mpg off when towing and very hot).

Saloon or estate? well it`s down to your requirements and personal preference ( I`ve now got a new Passat TDI 140 Sport Estate - simply because I like the car but find the rump of the saloon ugly).

If you do get one, use a good independent for service and repairs as there are some dealers out there that are seriously inept, don`t care (and apparently neither do VW).Dealers are also unjustifiably expensive.

They are good cars, you wont be disappointed, and yes they are built like brick you-know-whats compared with the others in their class.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We tow a Pageant Provence with a Passat 130 TDI saloon.

The Provence weighs in at 1410 max so very similar to you and likewise never loaded near that level.

Passat is an excellent tow car (we have Sport 4Motion model which is worth getting hold of if you can find one).

Personally the extra trim on a Sport never warranted the extra money over an SE but its personal choice.

The 4 Motion gives you an extra 10kg of noseweight up to 85kg.

We've had ours for three years and its going nowhere - love it to bits!!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
While I agree that a stiffer suspension is of advantage, the back end cannot drop any more when towing than when the boot is fully laden and you're driving solo.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
I made reference to the sports suspension only with regard to reduced fore/aftand lateral pitching and general body control which makes for a more stable tug.

Also more fun when solo!

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Darren,

we used to tow a 1400kg caravan with a 2001 Passat Tdi 130 sport saloon, it was an excellent towcar and did 37mpg towing at 50mph and 27mpg at 60mph, the 6 speed gearbox was very good, the build of the car was excellent and the boot was huge, I had a Witter Quantum detatchable towbar on it which was near undetectable when off. [this I still have if you are interested, fits saloon and estate]

The sport model also has rain sensing wipers, sports seats and 16 inch wheels as well as the sports suspension and 6 speed gearbox, this I prefered to the SE even in Highline spec but that is my personal choice.

spj.

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your replys guys keep them coming i do prefer the saloon model rather than the estate and now that i have had some possitive feedback from you guys about the saloon i can now try and talk the boss the other half to go for the saloon.

I will keep you posted on the outcome but please more views would be nice.

CHEERS DAZKIM

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Darren,

we used to tow a 1400kg caravan with a 2001 Passat Tdi 130 sport saloon, it was an excellent towcar and did 37mpg towing at 50mph and 27mpg at 60mph, the 6 speed gearbox was very good, the build of the car was excellent and the boot was huge, I had a Witter Quantum detatchable towbar on it which was near undetectable when off. [this I still have if you are interested, fits saloon and estate]

The sport model also has rain sensing wipers, sports seats and 16 inch wheels as well as the sports suspension and 6 speed gearbox, this I prefered to the SE even in Highline spec but that is my personal choice.

spj.
I WILL LET YOU KNOW ABOUT THE TOWBAR THANKS

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've had both 130tdi SE saloon and estate. They were both excellent, however, I personally found the estate a better towcar. It seemed more stable towing; possibly something to do with the aerodynamics & drag on the front of the 'van. It was also much more flexible in terms of storage.

My caravan was a Bailey Senator Arizona (1472 max)and the estate weighed 1560 completely empty (I took it to a public weighbridge) which was more than the handbook sugessted.

Whichever you choose you shouldn't be disapointed

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I have a 2002 model TDI 130BHP Passat Estate and tow a series 5 Pageant Moselle weighing 1338kg. It pulls well with plenty of power left over and on steep inclines I drop down to fourth. On gradual inclines it has plenty of torque in 5th gear and will maintain 60mph. Lots of room in the boot means less gear cluttering up the floor of the van. Also carry a large Thule roofbox. The car feels tight and solid with 72,000 miles on the clock. Just had a drive shaft replaced as the CV cover had split causing the joint to wear. It would probably have been fine if the rubber gaitor had not split. Never failed an MOT yet, but the car is still not that old. Seat belts are slow reclining. I got the drivers one replaced under warranty and it is slow reclining again after a year. Other than that a great car, that has done allot of towing with only one mechanical problem so far.

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks for all your replys i am still looking for the right vw to come along but everyone i seem to look at has 90.000 miles on the clock is this going to be a problem . i must say though they all seem to have full vw service history.

CHEERS DAZKIM

TRENDING THREADS