VW PASSAT 1.8 SE PETROL

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I AM THINKING OF BUYING A CARAVAN TO UPGRADE FROM CAMPING. I AM LOOKING FOR SECOND HAND CARAVANS WITH AN END BEDROOM WHICH I WILL BE ABLE TO TOW. ANY SUGGESTIONS ANY BODY.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You want something light to begin with; try looking at the Lunar and Bailey ranges. They have end bedrooms, tow well and are at the cheaper end of extortionate. If you know what all the weight requirement are then great, if you don't then please ask, it can be a bit of a minefield.

Anyway, welcome to the fold, you wont regret it!

Oct 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve. If towing for the first time with a 1.8 petrol passat then the weight of the van will be a major issue. Have a look at a Bailey Ranger. Cheap compared to most other models, lightweight and in my experience have a good build quality.

Martin.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve,

For someone new to towing there is a recommendation (from the caravan club) that your caravan should not exceed 85% of the car's mass. Check your vehicle handbook for an indication of the actual permissible maximum values.

The Passat 1.8SE - I'm guessing from around 1999? which would have the 125 bhp engine - will be happy towing up to 1000 kg both on the flat and in hilly areas. I'm thinking of around 850 kg to 900 kg for the caravan and 100 kg to 150 kg for gas bottles, sun-canopy or awning, caravan battery, bedding, water bottles, and all your stuff.

Changing over from camping, you can either go for the shoe-box styled van, or something more non-conformist like an Eriba.

You also don't say how many people will be using the van, and this can heavily influence or restrict your choice.

Buying pre-owned, then the older the van then it will have less equipment (generally speaking) and consequently be lighter to tow - Many modern vans have the same appliances as you would find in a studio flat - the older vans are more minimalistic.

If you buy a wood framed caravan, then you must be aware of the perils of water ingress, damp and frame rot. Full inspection before you buy - and if you catch even the slightest whiff of mustiness then walk straight away.

However, something like an Eriba with it's galvanised tubular steel space frame doesn't have the wood rot issue, but in this case just finding one for sale is the big problem.

We also changed from camping to a tin tent, and enjoy our Eriba Triton 3-berth all year round.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Im guessing you were looking for something a little bigger than an Eriba. Your Passat is a very similar car, weight and power wise, to my 1.8 Vectra hatch, which I have used to tow 1300kg for the past 4 years. I would say that the van is too big for comfort - it is stable, and is quick enough - but is lacking in torque on the hills, and hillstarts are downright scary. I would therefore suggest something 1200kg or less; to the best of my knowledge, there arent any moderm, regular fixed bed British vans under this weight - though I will be happy to be corrected. Either look for a different layout - of which there are many - or replace your car.

Cheers

James

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Im guessing you were looking for something a little bigger than an Eriba. Your Passat is a very similar car, weight and power wise, to my 1.8 Vectra hatch, which I have used to tow 1300kg for the past 4 years. I would say that the van is too big for comfort - it is stable, and is quick enough - but is lacking in torque on the hills, and hillstarts are downright scary. I would therefore suggest something 1200kg or less; to the best of my knowledge, there arent any moderm, regular fixed bed British vans under this weight - though I will be happy to be corrected. Either look for a different layout - of which there are many - or replace your car.

Cheers

James
Hi James,

The Eriba is to small - a popular misconception - you've probably seen the diminutive and highly popular 2 berth Puck, but were perhaps unaware of the 3 and 4 berth Triton and Troll, or the 6 berth Odin from a few years ago (which has all the style and grace of the Graf Zeppelin).

Regards, Robert

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
thankyou all for your responses, I have been looking around for a van that is safe to pull with my Passat. Unfortunatley I have struggled to find one. I need a four berth as I have two young Children. I am now trying to convince the wife that I need to buy a hevier car. I have my eye on a Hyundai Santa FE 2.0 diesel.I have about 11k to spend on the car and van. I am thinking of a 7k car and 4k van. Would i have more chance of finding something suitable.The wife insists on the end bedroom so we can leave the beds made up for the kids. (ages 5 and 6)

cheers Steve

Hi Steve , maybe you could go for a twin dinette van , so if you

desired you could leave the rear dinette made up as a bed ? I own

a coachman genius 520/4 side dinette , end bathroom model which weighs in at 1200kgs mtplm , but there are very similar weighted models with a rear dinette , best of luck in your choice's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts