VW Sharan Towing

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am thinking of upgrading my trusty Omega to a VW Sharan MPV. I will be pulling a Swift Charisma 590 (1500kg ish), has anyone experience of using the VW MPV as a Tow vehicle and any comments ?

Cheers

Neil

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Neil

I had a Sharan and reckon it was one of the best motors I ever had, it was the deisel automatic 110 and towed my heavy Hymer like a dream. The only snag was with the drive on the front I had wheel spin on rally fields, especially when wet. So I changed to a 4x4.

Now they have a 4x4 version, but only in manual.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Guys

My only problem now is finding one, have looked in Autotrader southwest but they appear to be rarer than rocking horse doings !!

Thanks for the advice and happy caravanning.

Neil

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
have to agree with others

We tow an Elddis Odyssey 1500kg with our Sharan TDI 115 6 sp manual. cruises at 60 mph in 6th and absolutely stable in all but severest cross-winds.

NB also look at the Galaxy and the Alhambra which are basically the same vehicle.

The bonus over a 4x4 is better fuel consumption solo, more versatile.

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
We have VW 130bhp TDI towing 1350kg Bailey Pageant. No problems at all approx 28-30mpg when towing - used to have 90bhp VW & that struggled a bit but strangely gave slightly better mpg.

If you only need 5 seats, you've got loads of boot room as well

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nice car and my brother had one and was pleased with it. However, last year I think it came bottom (out of about 100 vehicles) of the Top Gear consumer satisfaction survey.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tow with the alhambra its only 95 bhp but it tows my 800kg elddis with no probs at the time i bought it i didnt realise there were bigger bhp ones. Saying that my brother has a 110bhp sharron with a similar weight van doesnt tow any better or worse thin mine I think they are an all round good tow car. One thing being a front wheeled drive they do tend to wheel spin easily on wet grass Richard

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tow with the alhambra its only 95 bhp but it tows my 800kg elddis with no probs at the time i bought it i didnt realise there were bigger bhp ones. Saying that my brother has a 110bhp sharron with a similar weight van doesnt tow any better or worse thin mine I think they are an all round good tow car. One thing being a front wheeled drive they do tend to wheel spin easily on wet grass Richard
The Galaxy AUTO seems to avoid the wheelspin on wet grass.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts