VW T5 / Transporter / Caravelle advice please!

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

We are looking at a new VW T5.1 (Facelift) panel van, Kombi or Caravelle and I'll be towing a 1300KG Bailey 9loaded weight).

The towing weights are all good but I have a question on engine size and FWD / 4Motion.

The new models use a 2.0lt turbo diesel giving 140bhp or 180bhp (180 is a twin turbo). Torque is ample on both variants (340nm and 400nm). I would prefer the 140 as I can get a LWB 4x4 version, but I don't want to regret not buying the 180 version when things get hilly!

Does anyone have experience towing with a T5 and any advice on the engine size? Also any thoughts about FWD against 4x4 would also be appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Chris

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
i had a transporter 2.5 quite a few years ago which i think was around the 140 bhp mark, allthough i didnt tow with it i found it to me more than capable in everything i asked it to do, it was my office and toolbox and was laden to its maximum with tools and equipment. since ive had countless vehicles but in 140 bhp diesels ive had a ford s max a new style ford galaxy and i know have a 140 bhp 2.2 tdci ford transit limited which i have to buy due to purchasing a property in france. the transit is a medium wheelbase so slightly longer and as such slightly heavier than the transporter / caravelle, ive not had it long (just 6 weeks) but in that time ive driven it solo and empty fully laden with building equipment and towed my caravan at 1650 kgs with allmost 1/2 ton in the back of the van making the van up to its maximum gross train weight, the 140 bhp engine has proven to be more than adequate in all situations, im not saying the 180 is not worth the extra as a friend of mine has a ford transit 3.2 diesel at 200 bhp and when towing something like a digger it is by far the better engine compared to mine however over the year my van is more refined more economical and a lot cheaper to own. to be honest with just 1300 kgs on the back the 140 will fly along.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I would have a look at the torque graphs if available, just to see how much extra torque is available with the 180 version. Two turbos suggest one for the bottom end and the other for the top end?

Also what is the gearing, maybe the 180 is higher geared?

The drawback with twin turbos is the possibly of reduced reliably.

As for 4 motion, i would take that with out a thought, but with the 180.

Audi usually fit engines with more power into there quattro versions to overcome the weight penalty.

In your heart you know its got to be the 180, with 4 wheel drive, then all you're got to regret is paying the extra running costs.

In reality your circumstances will play a part?

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Thank you both for your generous feedback. In an ideal world, it would be the LWB (3 kids and 5 bikes!), 180 and 4x4, but the only variant VW make in that configuration has the 7 speed DSG gearbox and personally I would like the manual 6 speed box - I have heard DSG boxes are expensive to maintain and can be a little 'fragile'.

Also, this particular variant is a panel van and I would need to have it converted to a Kombi, with side windows and a 3 seat bench. I think this can cause insurance problems.

I have a 4x4 Mitsu' Delica at the moment and to be honest, it stays in 2WD 98% of the time, but I tend to travel to Yorkshire from Swansea each year at Christmas and the 4x4 is a great thing to have when caught in the snow. We also used it this Spring when the Midlands got a good few inches at the end of February. We were caravanning in Malvern at the time.

VW do make a 140 4x4 LWB with the 6 spd gearbox though, hence the 140 v 180 question.

As you can imagine, it's a pretty hefty investment for our family, so i just need to weigh up the different options available to me.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Having just ordered a Bailey caravan out of interest I was checking the conditions with regards to warranty.

please see below condition No 13

13. That private cars, or 4x4 type vehicles substituting as private cars, shall have only towed the tourer.

It is in my opinion slightly vague but I would imagine if the transporter is registered or considered as a commercial vehicle it could or would invalidate any Bailey warranty you may have.

It could be that I am barking up the wrong tree but does merit further investigation

John

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
John, the commercial vehicle issue has been discussed in length before but the search on the site is pretty poor so i wont even try to find the thread.

basically and vehicle rated at 3500 kgs laden is regarded as a private light goods in regard to taxation and registration this includes all ford transits except one special order bus variant and all transporter type vans that the various manufacturers supply. even though most people call these vehicles commercial they are not commercial other than they are used mainly for business.

As far as i am aware for a vehicle to be classed as commercial legally it has to be plated as such which means a vehicle over 3500 kgs capacity ie lorries, therefore you have no warranty issues when towing a caravan with a private light goods vehicle, in fact im pretty sure if you look at your private car tax disc you will find it states "plg" just the same as my transit. hope this helps you.

Mar 30, 2008
Visit site
The biggest transit you can get now is a 200ps DRW jumbo and they are rated at 4.6T I don't think those are PLG. Im a member of the ford transit forum aswell as here!

Also, Is'nt the 4x4 system on the T5's the same as freelanders, ie, they have to lose traction before you get the true 4x4? So there shouldnt be much more of a running cost than the standard 2 wheel drive.

Ford do the same kind of 4x4 system as the T5's on some of the new transits, except the T5 system actually works quite well and the ford system is'nt worth considering!

The only true 4x4 transit is a county version.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts