VW Trailer assist

Mar 15, 2020
Visit site
I am looking to purchase a heavier tow car to allow us to upgrade to a weightier 8 foot van. The VW Tourag with Trailer Assist has caught my eye. Does anyone have experience of using Trailer Assist on a VW vehicle for towing and reversing their caravan they can share?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I am looking to purchase a heavier tow car to allow us to upgrade to a weightier 8 foot van. The VW Tourag with Trailer Assist has caught my eye. Does anyone have experience of using Trailer Assist on a VW vehicle for towing and reversing their caravan they can share?
I tow our caravan with a Touareg (without Trailer Assist) - having read up on it, I'm not sure it's that useful in manoeuvring a caravan - frankly a good motor mover is probably more use.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree with Roger. When it comes to large caravans, it's still necessary for the driver to know when to stop the reversing manoeuvre, and given a wider caravan (which also probably means a longer caravan), trying to judge the length from the drivers seat still involves quite a lot of guess work unless you have some one spotting for you.

The job is always better if you can have the more direct control provided by a caravan mover.

I'd guess if you don't specify the trailer assist package, the saving might almost cover the cost of a mover.

Reactions: Ian Law and WayneS
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If the OP were to plan on visiting Europe it’s not uncommon to find pitches difficult to access without the use of a mover. It’s not that pitches are small it’s more the positioning and juxtaposition that can complicate reversing the outfit.

Reactions: Ian Law and Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Will it be a single or twin axle caravan?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Our Navara has trailer sway assist; suppose it complements ATC but not trailer assist which I assume helps with reversing like the JLR products. The mags like it. Whichever way the Touareg is by all accounts a superb tow car ; lots of Bucanneer owners love it and it's a heavy caravan.

Reactions: Ian Law
Mar 15, 2020
Visit site
Will it be a single or twin axle caravan?
I would prefer to purchase a single axle van and would also look to fix a motor mover. I am attracted to the idea of the Trailer assist if I end up in the position of having to reverse on the road or round a bend etc if I take a wrong turn en route and get myself in a pickle. I also have a small trailer I tow with my disabled son's quadricycle and I can't reverse it for toffee!

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would prefer to purchase a single axle van and would also look to fix a motor mover. I am attracted to the idea of the Trailer assist if I end up in the position of having to reverse on the road or round a bend etc if I take a wrong turn en route and get myself in a pickle. I also have a small trailer I tow with my disabled son's quadricycle and I can't reverse it for toffee!

Small trailers are probably the most difficult to reverse and probably many of us would also struggle even if we are experts with the caravan. :D

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Not the VW version but Land Rovers. I played with it on our acquisition of a vehicle packaged with trailer assist, 6 years back. Here it required a three big dot triangled target to be placed on the caravan's front, and inputting some geometry particulars of the set up, plus a bit of manoeuvring to enable "it to learn".

We did not accept living with this big target as a styling feature of our van so I made up a self adhesive removable one. Stopping, finding and fixing that, plus getting out and recovering it [and remembering] before we could move on was a hassle too far, that I soon gave up on. Add to that the target ideally needed to be mounted quite high, lapping over the front window. On a horse box or industrial trailer where this target could be acceptable as a fixed feature, would of course remove that aspect.

Functionally, yes it gave useful guidance, but then I have no great challenge reversing trailers, nor in reality do I often need to, with specifically our caravan.
As has already been said the layout of many site pitches all but dictate the van's placement solo, either it physically can't be achieved coupled, or only at the expense of clipping over the dividing grass, damaging the site when soft. Plus, to that, a mover is absolutely essential at home as the lane is only just as wide as the van is long, therefore that mover is available anywhere.

The "assist" was for me little more that of play value as a technically intriguing toy, that with the target's hassle then became short lived. Its real use in the context of our caravanning, is decidedly limited.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have seen videos of JLR version and it seem quite nice, I am reasonably competent at reversing ( except when anyone is watching), but wifey bought me one Christmas a hard wired reversing camera for the caravan, about £100 at the time, it has proved to be fantastic. 7 inch screen in the car and fully adjustable for colour And contrast.
Studio_20200720_234139.png

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have seen videos of JLR version and it seem quite nice, I am reasonably competent at reversing ( except when anyone is watching), but wifey bought me one Christmas a hard wired reversing camera for the caravan, about £100 at the time, it has proved to be fantastic. 7 inch screen in the car and fully adjustable for colour And contrast.
We would like one where the monitor clips over the rear view mirror, but not for reversing. We want want it for small cars that like to tuck themselve sin behind the caravan and you cannot see them especially in France and Spain.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We would like one where the monitor clips over the rear view mirror, but not for reversing. We want want it for small cars that like to tuck themselve sin behind the caravan and you cannot see them especially in France and Spain.
My monitor is live all the time, and sits in the cubby hole in front of the gear selector, great for exactly what you describe. By the end of a 4 hour tow, my neck muscles are massive, with looking at the side mirrors, tyrepal monitor, rear view monitor, sat Nav, and the automatic look at the rear view mirror. Checking that the fridge door hasn't come open. 😃

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My monitor is live all the time, and sits in the cubby hole in front of the gear selector, great for exactly what you describe. By the end of a 4 hour tow, my neck muscles are massive, with looking at the side mirrors, tyrepal monitor, rear view monitor, sat Nav, and the automatic look at the rear view mirror. Checking that the fridge door hasn't come open. 😃
Surely you’ve forgotten to mention the occasional glance ahead of you. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch and RogerL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On mine you get a rear view, of the van and I have extended lines on the screen showing where the extended back of the van would be. For maybe 4 meters.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My Touareg does not have Trailer Assist. Not for me! Mirrors and SWMBO and careful common sense precludes the requirement.
Yes I have a reversing camera but be very careful. It only shows what is going on behind you. Not the sides🙀🙀🙀. I don’t use it , but SWMBO feels more comfy with it🤔🤔

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We have a Tiguan with Trailer Assist and Park Assist. We purchased the car second hand. I have experimented with both systems and have decided not to use either. There is nothing wrong with the system, but I just find it so unnecessary. I can park the car and reverse the car/caravan adequately well without it. We have a motor mover on the caravan, which I use for tight pitching. I would not choose a car because it had this accessory, nor order it as an option on a new car, because frankly, I find it just another gimmick.

Reactions: JTQ and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts