waht 4x4 is best

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi kevin,

I speak from the experience of owning various 4x4's over many years - all used for towing caravans and horse boxes - I am also an engineer who does all the maintenace and repairs on my vehicles.

In order of owning heres my advice:- firstly had a series 1 Range Rover in the 70's, could tow a house but very thirsty and there was always something broken or leaking. Second was a Jeep Cherokee 2.5TD - lovely comfy leather seats but that was the only good thing about it. Engine was agricultural in the extreme ( see other part of thread) and would throw a pushrod when cold if reved - most dramatic when it happens for the first time! Also back axle is weak on these - mine whined like a banashhee at only 80K and it cost a bomb to fix. Towed OK but got rid because of above issues and others. Next was a Shogun - still in the family - superb reliable, strong and excelent towcar, SWB too cramped though. Lastly, now have a 3.1 TD Trooper SWB P reg and cost under £4K - it is the dogs and will tow anything. It is reliable, economical (for a 4x4) comfortable and can shft a van like yours at legal motorway speed with ease - get one if you can find one.

Have fun & happy vanning

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
I dont know why people bleat about 4x4's. I live in the sticks and also tow a caravan, I need a 4x4. As to the choice I currenty drive a 2002 Shogun 3.2 diesel and tow a Ace twinstar weight 1700kg. Its the best towcar ive ever had. Ok fuel consumption when towing is only about 21mpg and solo 28mpg.I have the manual version and it will tow anywhere. Depending on your budget there are loads of 4x4's available but remember if you buy a small 4x4 the kerbweights are generally quite low and when fully loaded do lack some power. Take your time and dont be persuaded by the salesman.

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David - in your summary of 4x4s I think that you have not included a fantastic work horse although it may be agricultural in its manner compared to modern day vehicles. The one I am thinking of is the Daihatsu Fourtrack 2.8TDI. I have owned a 1998 model for two years and used it for caravan towing - fantastic tug and reasonably economical 35/36mpg solo and 10mpg whilst towing. Even used it to tow other 4x4s off wet/muddy sites without the need for my 4 wheel drive. I think that, although basic as stated, these vehicles are very much under rated by the 4x4 brigade and scorned upon - what do you think?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David - in your summary of 4x4s I think that you have not included a fantastic work horse although it may be agricultural in its manner compared to modern day vehicles. The one I am thinking of is the Daihatsu Fourtrack 2.8TDI. I have owned a 1998 model for two years and used it for caravan towing - fantastic tug and reasonably economical 35/36mpg solo and 10mpg whilst towing. Even used it to tow other 4x4s off wet/muddy sites without the need for my 4 wheel drive. I think that, although basic as stated, these vehicles are very much under rated by the 4x4 brigade and scorned upon - what do you think?
sorry should have read 30mpg whilst towing - a slight slip of the finger whilst drinking a lager.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I'm sure the Fourtrack is also a good motor, it's certainly a farmers favourite in rural areas, but I was only talking about 4x4's I have actually owned and run. I would not presume to advise someone on the basis of predudice or second hand opinion - unlike some!

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Well guys all I can say is that if I could afford motors like that It would be bye bye caravan and hallo 5 star hotel and cruise ship. Never seen stuff like that on CL or Forestry sites!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I drive a Disco 3 HSE which is the same cost certainly as an X5, Cayenne and ML and I use almost exclusivley FC sites and CLs. I love them and the freedom it gives my family. I wouldnt want cruises and hotels. IMHO that is the best thing about caravanning it doesn't matter how much money you have or don't have it is great fun. Fun doesn't come from the money you spend on it but the effort you put into it. You can spend

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts