Warranty Effect

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My good Lady has pointed out to me that we need a couple of shelfs near the bed in our Coachman 560, for her tea cup whilst I drag the dogs for a walk in the morning. as in our last C545. As its now 2 years old, if I fit some, screwing into interior walls only would this invalidate my warranty on the Caravan, I know , ask the manufacture, !!
Just your opinions please.
Hutch.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No, it will not void the whole van warranty, but it will exclude any damage caused as a result of what you do.
For example, if you had water ingress which was proven to be a result of damage you did fitting the shelf, that would not be covered.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone had a dealer try to "short change " them for doing their own mods, to improve their van.
Hutch.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Hutch, You may be a super duper DIYer, and your shelves may look like there were factory fitted. However if I was buying a second hand van in which there had been DIY, it would make me wonder if the person doing it had bodged it or done damage. And it would put me off.
I am not suggesting that you would do anything less than a first class job, but that there is no way of knowing the level of skill of the previous owner.
Mel

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Everybody mods their van surely? Done well you would never know if the dealer hadn't done it?
Bailey dealer fitted shelves in my friends van using similar materials? So you would be put off looking at them?
Vans are never perfect and most people fit things that were never fitted from new to make life easier, some people copy as its a good idea?

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't think anyone is even going to notice a couple of shelves provided the correct wood and fixings have been used.

I would quite expect no one to want to buy our van once my ramps and rails have been fitted this winter. This is why we had to make the decision that we would keep this van until I or even we cannot cope with the van anymore.

Enhancements will vary between users and if they consider it to be an enhancement or not.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do not see the shelves invalidating the warranty and it would certainly not prevent you making a claim against the dealer or any finance company using your legal rights if there are problems later on.
If the mods are obvious then it might devalue the caravan though so be very careful in making sure the work does match the caravan interior.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " it would certainly not prevent you making a claim against the dealer or any finance company using your legal rights if there are problems later on."

Not quite as simple as that, sorry.
For example: You fit shelves and some time later the shelves fall down, taking part of the caravan inner wall with them.
Who is responsible? certainly NOT the manufacturer, or the dealer, it is YOU.
Similarly, you fit a modification which in doing so damages the outer wall allowing water to enter, who is to blame?
YOU are so YOU have to pay to put it right.
Or, you fit a heated towel rail and it leaks and stains the carpet or damages the floor.....who pays to repair? YOU do as YOU fitted the thing , not the dealer, or the manufacturer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Damian
I read Ray's post different to you. I fully agree with what you say as far as a modification goes but I thought Ray was referring to Warranty / Guarantee matters outside of a modification.
I cannot accept a modification would null and void the dealer or manufacturers liabilities ab initio.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dustydog, if you had read my initial posting Ii did in fact state that the warranty would be intact for everything apart from the modifications and any damage caused as a result of them.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
When I first had a roof mounted solar panel fitted I contacted Coachman before it was fitted. As damian has stated they said my warranty would remain intact apart from the area where it had been fitted. I accepted this a reasoned and indeed reasonable response as it's not them making the changes so they shouldn't be liable for any issues arising from anything I did to the van.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am assuming that as the layout has the side bed the shelves can be fixed to the back wall so nothing there to produce a warranty claim. If you use the outside wall then you might have a problem if you cause any damage there.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone, Raywood, yes thats the style, the old 545 had the center bed with the wardrobes on either side but on the 560, I will have to check on the wall side to see how fitment may be done. I will have to look into suitable materials and a bit more investigation, just been into Whitearches in Rushden to look around for ideas.
On the way home popped into the farm where I stow the van, found the Farmer outside the barn, and he said to me, well yours is okay.
During the Big FRANK storm, part of the roof got ripped off and two of the vans got the roofs punctured by flying debrise..
Thanks again to everyone.
Hutch.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Thanks everyone, Raywood, yes thats the style, the old 545 had the center bed with the wardrobes on either side but on the 560, I will have to check on the wall side to see how fitment may be done. I will have to look into suitable materials and a bit more investigation, just been into Whitearches in Rushden to look around for ideas.
On the way home popped into the farm where I stow the van, found the Farmer outside the barn, and he said to me, well yours is okay.
During the Big FRANK storm, part of the roof got ripped off and two of the vans got the roofs punctured by flying debrise..
Thanks again to everyone.
Hutch.

Hope you are not just taking his word for it, and have been over your van with a magnifying glass. :eek:hmy:
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I assumed anyone would take it that damage caused by your work would not be covered by the warranty. Putting up a shelf should not invalidate a warranty but you have to be sure whatever you do that it does not give the manufacturer any excuse to say that any subsequent problem was not down to your work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts