Was this guy never in the Boy Scouts ?

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Whilst on holiday in the south of France there was a guy on the campsite who, when driving off the site heading for home about 1,000 miles away in the north of England "spotted something wrong" with his caravan off-side wheel. It had split very badly in four places on the side wall. Why it was still inflated or hadn't gone 'bang' I don't know.
Being the helpful sort we pulled up, (we were just going out for the day), and offered our assistance, along with another chap. Obviously the wheel had to be changed. Problem 1, he had no jack. I and the other chap both had one so that problem was solved. Problem two, " I don't know if I've got a suitable wheel brace, there might be one in the car somewhere". Again we were able to help. Problem 3, the spare wheel that he did have looked as though it had done a lot of service at some time on some other vehicle and the pressure in it was barely 20psi when we checked.
We got the wheel off and the spare inflated to some unspecified figure, he didn't know what pressure should be in his tyres, and got it fitted for him. We advised him of a local tyre dealer but he was very reluctant to go to see them as he wanted to be on his way. What happens, we asked, if the spare fails, it's not in the best of condition, particularly if you are on the motorway? This may have made him think as, apparently, he did get a replacement before he set off. Strangely he had taken out Red Pennant but wouldn't get in touch with them to get their help. Why have it then ?
How can anyone travelling so far and in a country where they can't speak the language, (at all apparently), be so unprepared for possible mishaps ?. The mind boggles.
JohnM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can see this thread getting very entertaining. Some years ago in southern France some fellow Brits arrived and had some difficulty unhitching, so went to see if we could assist. Turns out the van had been hitched to the car for some months (!) and presumably the ball and hitch had rusted together. Have never taken a dumpy hammer to a hitch before, but needs must.
Later they asked the best route back to Caen and produced a 'map' an AA atlas at least 40 years old bought at some carboot. - Sorted that out with loan of my second best Michelin.
Then, of course, none of the electrics or gas worked - and this was at the end of their holiday - so did what we could about that.
They had bought the van from some 'friend' who had let them have it at a very special price - but about 10x more than it was worth, as it was full of damp and mould and the floor spongey all over.

Another instance when living in the north west - a friend provided storage for another village resident who had an old but fialy heavy caravan and an old but not very heavy tow car. Each year they set off for France without any service on either vehicle - down to basics like tyre pressure and lights and on one occaision with the roof light left open - we found it later two miles down the road..
BUT they had three years of very enjoyable holidays with no problems - brought the van back home each year, put it in the barn until next time and off again.
Perhaps such folk really do have a guardian angel plus the knack of meeting others of the worrying nature who do all the worrying for them.
Wondering if I should convert !

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Ray S said:
Perhaps such folk really do have a guardian angel plus the knack of meeting others of the worrying nature who do all the worrying for them.
Wondering if I should convert !
the guardian angel's name is probably "MAYDAY" with european cover,

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
What nice people you all are.

I would have simply walked away.

I don't mind in the least helping someone who has at least tried to offset disaster, but have no time for plonkers.

Reap what you sow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts