Waste water disposal

Sep 30, 2006
Visit site
A fellow caravanner of many years tells me he never uses a waste water container. He has a long length of grey waste hose which he's made holes in along its length and simply extends it across the grass. He always uses CL's and I commented that I wouldn't like to be the next user of his pitch! Would you?

Ron

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't like it, but I am not sure I am much better. I find that even using a waste tank, that so much water leaks at the socket where you connect the waste hose that I am sure half my grey water ends up on the grass (I am using the hose supplied by Bailey so I assume it is the correct size). Same also happened with my old Compass van which used narrower waste pipes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been to some sites where the site owner used to allow campers to empty the grey water onto the flower/shrub beds to save him watering them. Never had any problems with smells, vermin, etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If there's long grass or shrubs or trees around the site, I always empty grey water there. If not then use the drain, but NEVER, EVER, on the pitch.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I certainly don't want the smell of someone else's toothpaste (or worse) in my awning thanks! Anyone fouling the pitch should be booted off pronto. And "oh dear it's leaking" is a feeble excuse.

Hedges some distance away might be a different matter if the site owner/warden asks.

Bry

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Even getting rid of waste water under hedges or in long grass some way off the pitch is not so very clever, unless it really is only waste water and nothing else, like washing-up liquid, soap, cooking oil, etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not really, Kenneth. Nature will dispose of the waste water with the first heavy rain. Quite a number of sites actually ask you to spread grey water on their trees and shrubs, particularly in dry weather.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
That's all very well if there's nothing in the waste water, emmerson, but if you have a look at the labels of some of the bottles of liquid that are often poured into the waste water and see what chemicals they include, I have to agree that it's a bad habit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's all very well if there's nothing in the waste water, emmerson, but if you have a look at the labels of some of the bottles of liquid that are often poured into the waste water and see what chemicals they include, I have to agree that it's a bad habit.
Hi Lutz. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one!!

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
How pleasant it must be to roll up on a pitch where Jonney lazy filthy camper has just vented their teeth cleaning spit, pubic hair laden shower water and grease loaded wash up water used to clean the fried breakfast pan.

Little bouncing baby or tiny toddler should have loads of fun crawling around in the open sewage searching out those bits of bacon fat and the odd snack of escaped baked bean.

Flower beds ? maybe, caravan pitch ? shamefull.

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
We use the waste container and have never known anything else. We have never known any difference, we empty it in the designated area.We are not being goody two shoes, as I said, thats what we thought folk had to do on sites and are surprised about the others. Anyway, i enjoy doing these wee jobs as its exersize and fresh air. However,it does just look like my shower gels and washing up liquid are just `foofing up` together to make a nice soapy clean cleaner going down the drain. Plants and shrubs may get a shock to the system though if it happened to them!

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I always use a wasthog but have several times been asked to empty it into the hedge or flower beds,even so I make sure it's well away from the pitch's

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I really don't think that grey water does any harm on flower beds/long grass etc and I have myself occasionally emptied my grey water on such locations when the site have put high lips etc around the disposal point (I broke my back a couple of years ago and can't lift a heavy waste hog up to empty it into such drains). I would never however saturate the pitch with this water (intentionally, although as I said above in both my vans no matter how I try to attach the waste hose you get a fair amount of dripping from the junction between the van and the hose).

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
we've been asked to empty waste into hedges especially on sites that use cess-pits that they pay to be emptied. I must however agree with what Lutz says, if there are noxious chemicals within the water they should not be emptied.

cheers,

Gar

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
we've been asked to empty waste into hedges especially on sites that use cess-pits that they pay to be emptied. I must however agree with what Lutz says, if there are noxious chemicals within the water they should not be emptied.

cheers,

Gar
COME ON GUYS , WASTE WATER IN HEDGE BOTTOMS OR AROUND TREES AND FLOWERS IN SUMMER DOESNT HURT ANY ONE, MOST PEOPLE USE THE DISH WASHING AREA FOR POTS AND SHOWERS FOR OTHER THINGS, IHAVE BEEN CARAVANIG 30 YEARS AND NEVER USED A SHOWER IN MY VAN , YOU PAY FOR THE SITES USE THEM

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts