Watch Out LB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Watch out LB, the Welsh are coming!
We've just found out that a site we used to use a lot 10 years or so ago is back. It's the Moon Inn, Mordiford we found it a great base for walking and cycling (we used to be fit). The fact that it's right next to the pub may have contributed to our frequenting the site.
So beware the superior archers of Wales are coming to show you what to do with your arrows
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Heh! heh! heh! Clive
smiley-laughing.gif

I don't ever recall the Moon having a campsite and over the years we've been many times for a meal. Played darts there to when I played in our local darts league more years ago than I care to remember. That's if only I could remember
smiley-frown.gif

The pub as changed hands a few times over the last 5 years and it was closed for about 6 months.
The post office across the road is now closed.
A quarter of a mile towards Fownhope is Lucksall CC managed site and in Fownhope itself is the Green Man. That pub did excellent cheap food until last year when it changed hands and had a lot of work done to it. Haven't been since it's under new ownership.
If you take the Tarrington road for about 1 mile you will see The Yew Tree Inn where the owner, Len Gee does a carvery on Wednesdays and Sundays. He charges £5.95 on Wednesdays and on Sundays it's about £10 but on Sundays you can go and get seconds including more meat. Often he has venison on the menu. It's best to book though. We've been twice in the last month. Someone being served in front of me asked Len if the venison was fresh. I piped up 'yes, it was on the side of the road this morning'.
smiley-laughing.gif

Haugh Woods is a nice place to go for a walk. Only a few miles from The Moon on the Woolhope road and it has a car park. We usually go on the other side of the road because we always spot deer on that side. Just a bit further on is the Crown at Woolhope which does meals. At one time they were very good but since we last went it's changed hands so cannot speak up for it. Two miles towards Hereford at Hampton Bishop is the Bunch of Carrots and apparently they do a nice Sunday carvery.
I've sent my herald with a missive notifying the Offas **** archers to let give you access. The password to remember is 'I want to kiss His Windyships bottom' and you'll be free to carry on your journey
smiley-laughing.gif

Just had a look at their website Clive. I'm guessing that the campsite is through the carpark. The menu is a bit on the steep side. With times being hard we couldn't afford to eat there so if you do could you save us a doggy bag please
smiley-smile.gif

I live on the Mordiford side of Hereford and a pub by us called the **** at Tupsley does two meals for the price of one. Another place we often use.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Gagakev said:
L.B no wonder you are never sober with that many ale houses around you
wet.gif

Heh! heh! heh! that wasn't even half of them Kev.
I never even mentioned The Moody Cow (named after Her Ladyship), The Harp Inn, Butchers Arms, Cottage of Content, New Inn and that's not even mentioning any pubs in Hereford apart from The ****, 3 miles down the road .... hic!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the update on the area LB. The Moon used to be a weekend bolt hole for us, leave work on a Friday and straight up with the van. You could be a thousand miles away and no phone or work pressures.
The Yew Tree rings a bell so we'll have to check it out after your recommendation.
smiley-smile.gif

You also mentioned the Cottage of Content, we came across it one summer when we were cycling, it was a hot day and we came around a corner and there it was. What a great little pub and what a fantastic, evocative name.
Cant wait to come and bring some culture to the area.
smiley-wink.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I saw an outfit like yours on the Hereford side of the Travellers Rest at Ross. Was it you?
I was on my way to a retirement do at Ross Ambulance station about 12.45pm.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No not us, we went to the Moon last Monday and stayed till Friday. The Moon has changed a bit since we last went there. It was always a basic cl with just a tap and a tip point but we always enjoyed it whatever the weather. As you said, the entrance is through the car park. When I rang to book they were very proud of tell me they now had 6 EHU’s. They do but they also have 5 vacant static/seasonal vans taking up all but one of the EHU’s.
The pub itself hasn’t changed much but while the variety and choice on the menu has gone down quite a bit, the price has stayed up as you said. The menu we were shown was a bit different to the one on the website.
We found the **** and had a meal there, good value at two for one. Cottage of Content was closed when we went there. We had a look at Lucksall, and it’s a lovely site in a really good position but at £17 a night for March it’s a bit pricey.
It was great to revisit the area and find some of the walks that we used to do but I think next time we’ll look for a different cl.

TRENDING THREADS