Water in tow bar socket

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
A half decent fitter would ask what you are towing and what wiring your need. After all they stand to make more money from you. But also you would think they would want to supply a full service to the customer. But it has been reported on here that some just put in the basic lights wiring.

It makes no sense to me but that's how it is.

John

I did tell them it's for a caravan

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Christhecaravanner84.
I think the cabling needs examining properly by a competent fitter, but you could check the cable spec yourself.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Now I'd like to check. Will a multimeter between pin 10 and 11 tell me?

Download a 13 pin wiring diagram from the internet. Then use a multimeter to check all pins with engine running. It is options like fridge, charging, and some lights. They may have only done the minimum legally required. Not sure what that legislation is now, but perhaps reversing and fog lights are exttra, as is the cancelling of car reversing. Also the cancelling of start stop, (if you have it). Suggested by some car manufacturers.

John

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I have HOPEFULLY sorted out my water problems. Looking at the pictures, it is clearly coming in through the the rear of the socket. Look how loose that gland is..... It looks like it's stepped and has to be chopped according to the thickness of the cable. I reckon the fitter cut it too low down. Lower contacts were corroded. I've sprayed it all out with ACF 50 so hopefully won't corrode any further. I let the silicon set slightly before tightening the cable tie. Deliberately left a bit of a tail on the tie to allow water to drip down away from the socket.

Getting the cover back on was INFURIATING. I imaging the fitters have a tool for aligning the pins, I used four long matches . Fingers crossed my repair has worked.

IMG_0126.jpeg

IMG_0127.jpegIMG_0128.jpegIMG_0131.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpeg
    IMG_0127.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0128.jpeg
    IMG_0128.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • Wow
Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Now that it’s refitted worth buying a green ‘13 pin alignment tool’ to keep the plug true and make it easy to plug and then twist the collar to retain in place

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have HOPEFULLY sorted out my water problems. Looking at the pictures, it is clearly coming in through the the rear of the socket. Look how loose that gland is..... It looks like it's stepped and has to be chopped according to the thickness of the cable. I reckon the fitter cut it too low down. Lower contacts were corroded. I've sprayed it all out with ACF 50 so hopefully won't corrode any further. I let the silicon set slightly before tightening the cable tie. Deliberately left a bit of a tail on the tie to allow water to drip down away from the socket.

Getting the cover back on was INFURIATING. I imaging the fitters have a tool for aligning the pins, I used four long matches . Fingers crossed my repair has worked.

View attachment 2897

View attachment 2898View attachment 2900View attachment 2901

I think you have probable fixed it well. A bit worrying about the gland as they are exceedingly simple to fit.

John

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I've fitted a lot of sockets and never used a gland.

Main thing is to pack with silicone grease or contralube 770 to keep the connections dry, don't use a cover.

I have used electricians tape where the cable enters or tie-wraps, along with trying to have the cable route up not down.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I did buy a cover for mine on eBay. On various forums I've browsed through, there does seem to be a lot of division on whether to use them or not. Some say that they can cause excessive moisture build up, but surely, if it's water tight, there shouldn't be any moisture getting in ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve never had a cover on any 13 pin, or older type sockets and not had water ingress/ corrosion problems. From the look of the cut out on your rear lower valance the tow bar fitter was a bit slap dash anyway. I’m sure your repair will now do the job that you paid the fitter to do.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Now that it’s refitted worth buying a green ‘13 pin alignment tool’ to keep the plug true and make it easy to plug and then twist the collar to retain in place
We had the plug part replaced with one made in Germany as recommended as per another very old thread on this forum. No more issues.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts